1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v Leeds United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, Aug 14, 2021.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

He has until the end of the month to decide. Otherwise, we have to assume that we will lose him regardless. However, it may not work out so well for him due to the high salary that he wants. I’d assume that he wants more money than we are currently offering which many teams can’t pay if current circumstance is anything to go by.

glazerfodder likes this.
  2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Greenwood was amazing yesterday, btw. He is often far more effective than Rashford and Martial. He should always be in the starting 11. Very dynamic player, quick, dribbles past defenders, can hit it from anywhere and certainly knows where the back of the net is.

glazerfodder likes this.
  3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No one is buying him in the current market.

PSG can't afford to pay him and Real Madrid can't afford him, full stop.

I suspect he plans to leave for free next summer, so that his new club save on the fee.

Hopefully not but if that does prove to be the case, best make the most of him this season.

4. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The Pogba saga is getting a bit tiring for me tbh. Yes, on his day he is a world beater. You have to applaud 4 assists in one game. But …the club is bigger than a single player however good he may be. Look at how Barcelona mortgaged their future to keep Messi. He was literally Mr Barcelona. And Pogba is nowhere as good as Messi.

if he goes this window I won’t be shedding any tears as he’s made a ****ing mug of the club. If he does go, we would need a top midfielder to replace him. We have a good enough squad not to completely crash if he left.

I know I’m going against the grain here but this club has had so many greats that it’s time to say enough is enough. Either commit yourself to the club or get out this window.

cytrax and glazerfodder like this.
  5. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I have a sneaky suspicion that we are going to strengthen in midfield before the window closes. We can't have these wonderful signings join only for Pogba to go into another season long sulk in which case we are reliant on Bruno with McFred as regular starters. With a ready made replacement for Pogba already in the side it will also make a sale easier, this window or next - or if he stays, it will give us an edge in contract negotiations.

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I don't think you've got it mate.

We weren't going to sell Martial because Ole LOVES Martial.
    We aint going to bring in another midfielder because Ole LOVES the Fred/McTominay partnership.
    We aint going to bring in any more players because we just beat Leeds 5-1.

The End.

7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

That point is the critical, in my opinion. The club used to be historically stronger in ensuring that players are kept in line and understand their responsibility in keeping the club in good light. I don't recollect a Manchester United player that has repeatedly (season after season) brought so much disrepute over staying or leaving as Pogba has done over the years. Even as great as Ronaldo was, he still managed to put the club first and didn't make a mug of the situation as he tried to go to Real Madrid.

8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Rooney? Best?

9. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Like I said... Repeatedly, season after season. Rooney didn't do that. The saga over his contract was closed out by the end of that one summer. He even apologized. So no!

I don't know of the George Best issue. Not old enough, I suppose.

10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

A couple of questions for you.

Have you ever seen a quote from Pogba saying he want's to leave?
    Have the club ever said anything about him wanting to leave?
    Did you know Pogba has been a very good friend of Varane's since they broke into the France U21s together and had a big input in Varane joining us?

Doesn't sound like a man itching to leave every few months but more like a **** head agent trying to get another bug pay day.

Treble likes this.

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Come on, Diego...

The very fact that he hasn't signed the contract on table should tell you all that you need to know. Let's stop playing wishy-washy and confront the reality.

If my Agent says sht about the company that I currently work for in public that I will be leaving, I will duly go back to the public sphere and tell the people to ignore my fktard agent as his views do not represent mine. The same Agent played the same tricks with AC Millan to lose their top goalie.

12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That he want's more money than being offered?

I have no idea what contract he has with his agent but it may contain a clause whereby the agent gets to give out all news and he has to stay stumph.

13. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

He’s already on over £300k a week, and if his performance is anything to go by, he doesn’t deserve a penny more. It is rumoured that PSG are willing to pay him €600k a week as a free agent next year. I would hate the club to ever try and compete with that kind is madness.

Overall, there is gross management in football with Barcelona just announcing over a £1bn in debt with players’ wages accounting for 103% of their total revenue. That is plain unsustainable madness and football will eventually run itself to the ground.

Christiansmith likes this.
  14. Christiansmith

I would hate the club to chase the rainbow just like City and PSG. These clubs are owned by oil countries who are competing against each other to brag having the better team. Their funds are completely unlimited and FFP couldn’t restrain them. City are pretending to balk at the asking price of £150m for Kane. The reality is that Kane will eventually go to City as to the owners of City, that price is small change. United have spent big this summer but in the past they’ve lost money on trying to compete with City’s purchasing power. The worst example is Sanchez. And I can see pogba going the same way financially. Of course pogba offers more that Sanchez ever did. But it looks likely the club would not gain a penny from his leaving next summer. This is rather shabby from a player who has received nothing but adulation from the supporters.

15. Christiansmith

Another point about the current team and squad is the obvious improved team spirit. Some deride it but for me that’s crucial. Moyes LVG and Mourinho may have tried but it wasn’t evident. Although OGS has done his best to keep pogba on board so far the uncertainty around him cannot be good for team morale. He has had lots of opportunities to say that he’d like to stay but he never once said it during his whole contract.

And the best example of what could go wrong is Arsenal. Players being given long contracts to prevent them going on a free even though in reality fresh blood is needed. And new players coming in at high expense in an atmosphere of turmoil to pull the club up. Sounds familiar ?

16. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Pogba could close all this rubbish down with just one public statement, but he doesn't. The fat pig agent is out there baiting the market, waiting until next year when club's finances have improved and the likes of PSG will offer zillions in wages for him to leave us (again) on a free.

I for one can't be arsed with these games season after season and, in truth, it really does jaundice my view of the player - as is probably evident from some of my posts. For the player or the club not to shut this business down is bound to cause unrest, uncertainty and discord in the dressing room - just at the poiont (as has been mentioned above) that team spirit seems the strongest it has been for years.

17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The ONLY thing that matters is how he performs on the pitch. When he plays well he should be applauded, when he plays badly he should be called out for it. Everything else means fck all quite frankly.

If he helps us win a major trophy and fcks off for free next year he'll do so with my blessing.

And that should be the case for every player and Pogba is no different. I'd happily berate him all week if he was a lazy arse on the pitch or tried one too many flicks or tricks which resulted in him giving the ball away and the opposition scoring. But while he's playing well on the pitch why not support him? I don't get it.

Diego likes this.
  18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty much agree with this.

One thing I don't get is the continued referrals to him being a disruption, bad egg, affects morale and such like. There is no evidence whatsoever of this.

In fact, he's clearly an extremely popular part of the squad, unless he and the rest of the squad are also superb actors.

He's guided by a greedy leech of an agent unfortunately, but he's not alone in that as they are rife in football.

Treble, Diego and cytrax like this.
  19. Christiansmith

OGS has to prepare for his leaving next summer. Time to look for another world class midfielder. Sure his performance whilst he’s in the team is paramount. Don’t get me wrong. It’s not my money and I’ve no sympathy for the GGs and their maximum extraction of money from the club But on the other hand I also don’t want to see the club being made a mug of. Pogba went on a free to Juventus when he was worth 50m. The club paid 90m to get him back and after a few years of inconsistency he’s going for nothing again when he’s worth at least 100m. Simply ridiculous financial management.

glazerfodder likes this.
  20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I agree on this point. Pogba is quite a character and mostly loved around the club. On evidence of what I see on and off the pitch during trainings, the team loves having him around.

The enigma called Pogba, however, is still a fundamentally flawed Manchester United player... For one, he is not consistent. Therefore if we want to talk about all that matters being football, he certainly isn't worth the extra salt in wages in my opinion. Even though we think that all the sht talk by his agent doesn't matter, I would argue that the lack of consistent performance may be attributed to the "In or Out" situation that he has brought upon himself. He is only human and such position is bound to affect him at the detriment of the team. It is perhaps this same reason why his performances for France are far better than those for the club.

In close, we can't simply "just" ignore all the shenanigans of not knowing if any player is staying or leaving. They are all linked to how a player performs on a consistent basis for any club. Pogba is certainly no exception to that rule.

glazerfodder likes this.