1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Manchester United v Paris St Germain

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Stan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

Psg have been awful lucky we been poor finishing as we could of had 5 or 6 easily

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Pogba has players really well since he came on.

Still got time to do something stupid but got to give some credit.

The midfield three all excellent too, special mention to Fred.

Only Matial on the lacklustre side, and that's being uber critical.

Treble and cytrax like this.
  3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I thought Rashford had a poor game. He wasn't quite at it, but the goal in the end was brilliant.

Btw anyone notice Telles on the corners. Each one whipped in pin point. One after the other consistently on the money. We haven't had that since errr... well a fcking long time!

Tbf the first 10-15 mins of each half we needed to ride out the pressure. Did it in the first half but fcked it up in the second for their equaliser. But after that we had them.

4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I thought both Fred and McT deserved a shout out, Scotty got his head to a lot in both halves of the field and helped keep a very good attack fairly quiet.
    I will mention Obi Wan too, his spider legs were back (as were de Geas) good all round performance.

Pogba showed some game management near the end too by keeping the ball in tight spaces to win throw-in's

5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yep, helped McT get his head on a lot, Maguire "should" thrive on those.

Treble likes this.
  6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Just to put this in perspective iirc we've only won once in the last 6 away games in the group stages against French opposition.

The effort they put in today makes you wonder why they don't do it every week?

When you look at a decent performance and result like that you wonder WTF is wrong with us.

7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

One guy i haven't mentioned because he did the job so quietly and efficiently is Axel, stepped into the centre of defence against an attack like PSG and never put a foot wrong. Well done that lad.

Treble likes this.
  8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

When he got injured and went down, I thought oh fck no not again. Thank fck it wasn't serious.

Diego likes this.
  9. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Predicted the match and the system we played ;)

Just didn't have the optimism to predict a win. Good discipline and bruno as usual the director of the orchestra.

10. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Great performance, solid tactics - strange to think that this time last week some were calling for Ole's head........ fickle, fickle fickle.

Diego likes this.

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I don’t think there’s anything fickle here. This is how a team with such talents should be performing. That is Ole’s job to get the best out of the players and he knows it.

His insistence with starting Pogba cost us dearly in those early games and shows his lack as a manager. Hopefully he has learned that Pogba is useless and he needs to start being a stronger manager. Motivate the players and pick the best on field performers and we will always have a chance.

Onward and forward we go.

12. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

That’s the nature of the club. There are no grey areas. Either the manager and team are rubbish or they are fantastic. The manager has to win all the time. A run of 2 defeats means the managers job is at risk. You would have thought he would get some leeway after getting third place. The pundits in the press should know better.

I think that the club is not manageable as it is currently structured. There is no DOF and major recruitments are done by an executive who has no knowledge of the game and by passes the manager. The players wanted by the manager are not bought. Yet Woodward thinks he knows better and buys only players he thinks he can make money out of. Managers like Mourinho and LVG with big personality couldn’t cope and had to leave or be sacked.

If we want toil physicality and discipline in midfield, we don’t play Pogba and Matic and use McTominay and Fred instead. If we want a goal then we use Pogba. I am sure Ole is aware of that, especially after the spurs debacle.

But Is this victory just a temporary reprieve for Solskjaer?

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh I'd have to agree with Cytrax here. It isn't fickle tbh.

I've just posted the same on the PL board. Why aren't we putting in that sort of performance and that sort of effort week in week out. Mentally we're not strong enough. When things are going well we're great, but the moment we encounter a setback we crumble... and not just in that game but for a lengthy period after that.

Having said that, Ole got his team selection and tactics right today so credit where it's due and leave that for another day and just enjoy today's result <ok>

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

So getting tatered by the spuds wasn't a setback because we have seemed to do ok since that.

I think we had a poor start to the season, **** happens. Since then i have seen improvements as we have played more games. I really am not one to panic after 6 games and shout for a manager change <laugh>

glazerfodder likes this.
  15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

No the setback was when games resumed at the end of last season. It carried on into this season with Brighton and Spurs was just a continuation of that. Then we get Newcastle and the chance to bounce back and we do. We've now had another good game. The problem is you honestly can't say what will happen next. We could go on a run of 20 games, then one dodgy result and mentally we'll crumble for the next 10. We've seen it the last two seasons.

The players are good enough, so there's something else that's wrong.

16. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Pretty sure that when games resumed at the end of last season we kicked on and managed to claim 3rd place, could be wrong on that though <whistle>

glazerfodder likes this.
  17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

And pissed away two semi-finals which if we'd ended up winning a trophy would've gone a lot further to building the very mentality in our players I'm talking about.

Beating the likes of Bournemouth, Villa and Crystal Palace and finishing 3rd masked our weaknesses. Thankfully Leicester throwing away their season helped as well.

glazerfodder and Diego like this.
  18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

He agrees with me Diego <whistle>

Diego likes this.
  19. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I would argue that the Spurs game was rock bottom. I mean, how could It get any worse than losing 6-1 at home to Jose Mourinho? I also mentioned in one of the posts that we would go on 15 game run of results before it falls apart again. This is not about six games into the season. We have already seen that played out numerous times.

Ultimately, with the huge wage bill and resources, the team should be performing with high degree of consistency. But with the current setup, one could almost see how the season ends.. settling for top four finish as the target yet again. Leaving Pogba to the bench or even out of the team, then perhaps we have a chance. Ole needs to man-up against the pig!

20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member