1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v RB Leipzig

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Btw our back 4 have been good also <ok>

Diego likes this.
  2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Fcking hell that was more like it <laugh>

No doubt the substitutions made a difference but even before then, we actually played the ball on the ground and were getting forward.

But McTominay on for Matic. And Rashford coming on, then Fernandes just changed the game completely.

Defence were brilliant throughout. Please please be that good in the league!

Diego likes this.
  3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

We've not turned a corner like the orange skinned liar keeps spouting at his rallies. But that was a great tactical gamble by Ole And brave too. Can you imagine the flak he would have received from his critics if we had lost?

Those who think he's not good enough to manage United should have the humility not to abuse him the next time he loses the next match.

And Rashford had an OK game BTW.

Diego likes this.
  4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I believe the brilliant Nagelsmann has been touted as Ole's replacement by some :bandit:

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Who played the pass for Rashford's goal when it was played through and he was just inside his own half?

6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Bruno.

Treble likes this.
  7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Great ball <laugh>

Diego likes this.
  8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

:grin:

Treble likes this.
  9. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Great tactics and team selection from Ole - contain the high press, consolidate possession, break at speed and contest every ball. Job done, bring on the flair players - add some finesse and whack in a few goals....................... all of which means the Ole haters on here have little to crow about. That team worked their nuts off tonight against tough opposition - all of which is Ole's fault. Bring on Poch.

Diego likes this.
  10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh that never happened.

It's not one or the other. It's not that we're all brilliant or all ****. The truth is somewhere inbetween.

The first half the football was poor. You claimed it was because the Leipzig team were very good. It was a poor excuse which was proved wrong in the second half.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Nagelsmann has been mentioned as an Ole replacement <whistle>

Seriously though, we need to transfer our CL performances to the PL. I can see us losing 2-0 at weekend to an inferior team/squad who have not gelled yet and that's what pisses me off with the team at the moment.
    The manager is not to blame, the players are. When you watch some of our PL games the effort and drive just isn't there as if they expect a win to fall in their laps and unfortunately that goes for too many in the team.

12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Ole has confirmed that Telles has COVID, no symptoms but the test said positive.
    Happy to know it isn't an injury and should be back by next week.

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It does leave the possibility of other players having caught it off him and then being off.

Diego likes this.
  14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Using the word “haters” suggests that we should stop thinking and simply accept whatever is served up.

The point that is missed here is that we have a fantastic squad that should be this good against most sides. The result against PSG and this game perfectly illustrates the point that we have no justification for below par performances every other game.

Moments of brilliance is not what defines greatness. Consistency is! This is especially true in football.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  15. Christiansmith

yes and no. Consistency by a very good team can lead to greatness. But a team can also be consistently bad or mediocre or average. Do we need consistency before we call performances great?

No one can call or has called this team or the manager great. Not yet anyway but we can talk about the potential. I am not sure I have seen this team or the manager called great. That shouldn’t blind us from seeing the performances in the CL as they are. Not least because everyone of those know it all pundits predicted that Ole and his team would struggle in the group. It would be churlish not to give full credit to Ole as the team is top of the group on merit. United deservedly beat PSG in Paris and at home where the team has been struggling he beat the form team of the German league. He was brave and believed in his tactical system and came up trumps. Let’s give him credit and stop saying he is not good enough. No doubt he’ll be crucified the next time he loses a match by the same people who write today that he is best thing since sliced bread. That’s the nature of the job managing United.

I notice that the glorious wins in the CL can be used as a stick to beat him with, as someone who cannot make consistent use of the brilliant talent at his disposal. Lose he gets clobbered and win he gets clobbered even more ;)

glazerfodder likes this.
  16. Christiansmith

Agreed. The below par performances in the league were unacceptable for a team like United. There is IMO a grain of truth in the view that the players were not up to speed in those first four matches. The crumbling of the team against Spurs was terrible. Everything that could go wrong did on the day. Maguire’s head was nowhere and the leaderless defence was as soft as butter. Hopefully the defenders have regained their composure. Even at 2-1 or 3-1 we had a chance but Martial’s petulant dismissal made it impossible.

I think we only need a decent defence for the team to do well. No reason why with DG and the likes of AWB and Maguire the defence shouldn’t deliver the goods and let the midfield and strike force do their business. I think as I said a few days ago that we have this season something going despite people in the press and elsewhere calling for Ole’s head.

Diego and glazerfodder like this.
  17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Pretty sure a few days ago you said we were in transition and couldn't expect success?

In any case,I think we're ok squad wise, bar being perhaps one centre half short. With Tuanzebe as first back up to Maguire and Lindelof, there's the pace we are missing in this position.

I know this might not be feasible but the club should look to terminate/settlement the contracts of Jones, Rojo and Bailly and use Axel and TFM as back ups to the first choice pair, and then look to recruit one more.

If we play three at the back, AWB and Shaw can play more centrally with wing backs, and even McTominay would look comfortable in a back three.

I see no reason why this current squad can't compete for trophies and the league in the current climate, with the current manager. At all.

cytrax and glazerfodder like this.
  18. Christiansmith

Ole could have stumbled on his best midfield formation. With 4 at the back, a diamond formation with a holding defensive MF at the bottom point and a creative one at the top to support 2 front men could be the way forward. One thing to avoid is to start with both Fernandes and Pogba. A recipe for disaster. Both trying to occupy the same space and play the same ball. We need at least 2 defensive MFs or 2 with defensive qualities better than those two. So it is either VDB with Fernandez or with Pogba but never both.

Why can’t we play the same formation against Arsenal as against Leipzig? And Rashford for Greenwood.

19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'd like to see how DvB plays with Rashford. It was Fernandes coming on that really brought the best out in Rashford against Leipzig.

Against Arsenal we could have Rashford instead of Martial who's still suspended (with Greenwood). Or play Cavani and Rashford.

There is a match thread btw

20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I agreed with this when I read it the other day, but let's hope you're wrong today.