1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v WBA

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, Nov 21, 2020.

1. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Another important mid-table home tussle for us to grind out a boring 1 - 0. Pogba is at home resting having played football mid-week.

Team to play West Brom: De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Telles, Matic, Fred, Mata, Fernandes, Martial, Rashford.

Subs: Henderson, Tuanzebe, Williams, Van de Beek, McTominay, James, Cavani.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Garbage.

Treble likes this.
  3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

True. Garbage performance. Poor striking by our front men. So many chances squandered l

Shows the craziness of this season that with such an appalling start to the season, we are above City and Arsenal. We surely have to play better than this. Rashford and Martial seem to have their minds elsewhere. Only Cavani put in a shift. Martial and Rashford missed when it was easier to score.

4. glazerfodder

Home win - open top bus parade details released on Monday.

cytrax likes this.
  5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

How ****e was that <laugh>

Teams just know Ole's limitations. We can only play counter-attack. Absolutely clueless at breaking down organised defences.

And if I see one more fcking dummy or flick there will be murders. Why not just take the ball and fcking shoot <doh>

6. Christiansmith

We were poor yes but even then we had enough chances to score at least 3 goals. How did Martial and Rashford miss their chances? Ole surely cannot be blamed for their ****ing of their shots when it was easier to score.

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'm not saying Rashford and Martial shouldn't have scored but even if they had put those chances away it still wouldn't change the fact that for large part of the game, they were controlling the midfield. A team at the bottom of the table. We were being pushed out wide and lacked ideas. And we're playing at home. It's not so much the goals but in terms of long-term progress... it's just more of the same. We can win individual games but not really building anything imo.

All too slow, lack of urgency or movement. It's just my frustration talking tbh. I hope things change but I can't see it.

Christiansmith likes this.
  8. Christiansmith

With all previous managers post Fergie, there was a point when I thought we were going nowhere and a replacement was inevitable. At this point I don’t feel the same about Ole. Yes, he had a few awful periods when we lost games and points but strangely enough this season even at our lowest point I never felt we couldn’t improve. I am more optimistic than at any time post Fergie. I couldn’t give you a rational reason. Just a gut feeling.

glazerfodder, Diego and Treble like this.
  9. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I guess that settles it. lol

10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

The difference in movement up front when Cavani came on was telling. He is a proper striker with a will to win, Martial does a decent job but is not a striker and Rashford really needs to get his head back in the game or lose his place.

11. glazerfodder

I just don't get Martial - he's sullen and moody, he is slow to track back and seems to only try shots on goal from an impossible angle near the touchline. Someone give him a ****ing slap.

I just don't get these pretty passing triangles just outside the opponents box. Why the **** is Telles on the field if he has to cede possession to Rashford out on the wing - tell Rashford to get in the 18yd box and make a nuisance of him self and anticipate a cross from a proven left back.

I just don't get Matic - he' s a dinosaur and devoid of any pace or vision

I just don't get why we're not playing Greenwood. If Martial and Rashford aren't having any impact then hook them both and put on Cavani and Greenwood.

Treble likes this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'd give Ighalo game time as well.

Diego and glazerfodder like this.
  13. glazerfodder

We've five strikers yet we only play two - neither of whom is banging them in with any regularity, so why not mix and match at some point in games like this when we're not making headway. Rashford and Martial are too predictable - stick on Cavani and Ighalo and at the very least we would give our opponents more reason to hold back and keep an eye on those two.

14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

The manager needs to be bold to not create a team of untouchable players regardless of their form. Rashford gets too much pass when it comes to criticisms. Greenwood gets no time in spite of his undoubted capabilities. I think DvBD has yet to start a PL game.

We have a great squad but the manager is not using it to its fullest.

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Tbh I have no problem with Rashford being picked, as a dip in form may just be temporary and it happens to all forwards.

Martial had a 3 match ban and we were **** regardless in those games, yet fairly decent in the CL games which he played in.

For me, it's not the personnel but the speed at which we move the ball when teams set up to defend AND the lack of movement to pull defenders and create space we can exploit instead of always trying to work tight spaces. Far too static and predictable for teams to defend against.

16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Rashford and Martial are not just suffering from dip in form though. Something is definitely not right with the setup hence why we continue to struggle for goals. Granted we lost five goals to Tottenham on a difference, but I wouldn’t have imagined we would still be on negative goal difference after 8 matches. It is therefore up to the manager to identify these issues and rectify them before they collapse the season. We have enough players to do that refresh, and help players out of form regain perspective. But that’s not what we are seeing.

glazerfodder likes this.
  17. glazerfodder

Martial hasn't scored a goal all season.

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Not in the league he hasn't, no.

Definitely think it's time Cavani got a start but I wouldn't drop Rashford. He's one player who should definitely be one of the first names on the team for me.

cytrax and Treble like this.
  19. glazerfodder

The trouble is, for me, Martial doesn't seem to be one of those players that responds to being dropped to the bench, he never seems to come back with any hunger, just the same lethargy - he and Pogba are a right pair. I agree, Cavani or Ighalo to start a few games and swap them around at half time would really catch out a few opposing managers.

20. EddyEd

EddyEd New Member

I wish to see Henderson playing such matches. I think that he has a big talent