1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v West Ham

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

You don't need me to remind you that City won their first 10 matches and the "well informed pundits" all said that everyone else was fighting for second. What did they win? **** all :D

So I'll wait until after the first 11 to make a judgement. ;)

Style likes this.
  2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Been round a few of the boards and there is a lot of that type of self consoling going on :grin:

3. Style

Style 'where is the love'

Yep they started so well last year. Worked out well for them

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

They've got a dvd of winning 2-1 at Old Trafford to remind them forever.

No quite up there with the equally meaningless 5-1 they keep papping on about but absolutely awesome all the same.

5. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

solid performance from every single player

6. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

first half of season possibly .. we are not chelsea who were not playing mid-week matches last season, I think it will be closer this season between top4 clubs compared to last season with all 6 top clubs playing in Europe this time.

7. Stan

Stan Stalker

Doubt we'll see London's FFP Bore for a while.

Lukaku will score 25+ goals this season.

8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

If he plays all 38 games and adjusts his game to those spaces that the midfield can feed to, he should have no problem scoring more than that. If he can get to 10 by around 15 matches, I'll be happy but not surprised.

As Glazer and Tel said earlier, this was the best I've seen us play, especially at OT, in a long, long time. Jose was brimming as well.

9. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

It was a perfect first game of the season for us. A big win, and our 2 new players making a big impact.

I've got to admit I am quite confident about our chances this season, as I feel we finally might have the balance right in the midfield and attack. I still think our defence is probably lacking a little, but as a whole I think we've got a fairly impressive squad this season, who should be expected to mount a serious challenge.

What I think will make us a tough team to beat is the power we posses right throughout the team. I know it's not really the United way to bully the opposition, but it definitely is the Mourinho way, and there is no doubting it is effective. We finished the game with Matic, Pogba and Fellaini in midfield. That's got to be scary for the opposition to have to cope with, not to mention the pace and power of Lukaku upfront.

The super cup game showed we still can't cut it with the very best in Europe, but neither can any of the other English teams, but I do think we are getting close to being a force domestically again.

10. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

Real Madrid are easily the best team in Europe and we gave them a much harder game then Barcelona did plus the ref in that game might as well wore a Barcelona top. I think we're do alright in the CL this season.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I think that is one of the worst shows of biased reffing I have ever seen, the Spanish league are desperate to make it look like Barca are still at the same standard as Madrid.

12. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Well I wouldn't count Barcelona as one of the top sides in Europe at the moment. I honestly wouldn't say they are any better than the top sides in England at this current time.

The goalkeeper and defence have always been suspect for them, and there midfield just doesn't have the same creativity it had a few years back. Iniesta is ageing, and Rakitic is no Xavi. Busquttes is still good but they need some quality around him.

In attack both Messi and Suarez are the wrong side of 30, and are getting less effective year by year, so the loss of Neymar was a massive blow to them.

They obviously have plenty of money to spend, but it's not easy to go out and buy players of the quality they need.

I think it could be a tough season for Barcelona if they don't manage to bring in some real quality soon. Coutinho will help, as will Dembele, but the prices they are being quoted look ridiculous to me. Even when you've just received all the money they have.

KingEric07. likes this.
  13. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

West Ham is one of those teams who are quite unpredictable. But despite their poor showing United deserve credit. What impressed me was the energy. For too long we've played the possession for its own sake game at OT and I hope the pedestrian sideways passing, legacy of LVG, is now history. We have the physicality to get at the opposition defence. Counterattack at speed, heading power at set pieces, controlling the midfield. The team needs to keep the work rate up.

I hope that JM let the attack loose even against the so called bigger teams. Pogba, Mhiki, Rashford, and Lukaku are starting to develop an understanding and it would be a shame for them to be disrupted.