1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United vs Liverpool - 10/24

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cytrax, Oct 23, 2021.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Here goes…

We are playing at home and nothing short of a victory will be enough given how far we are now behind our rivals with just about a quarter of the season done.

We absolutely can’t start this game as we started the last handful of matches. If we don’t get out of the gates right from the onset, the pressure will build on us and Liverpool will settle into their stride. We can’t allow them to settle!

I would love to see Cavani start as Center forward with Ronaldo in advance position on either flank, perhaps left flank. Then Sancho on the right with Bruno and Pogba in the middle. But we need all the players to be fully committed to pressing Liverpool from the front. I’m undecided on Matic for this game as we need a fast player but then also someone that can read the game like Matic. We shouldn’t start Fred though. It’s either Matic or McTominay for me. But we know that it will be McFred.

The backline picks itself these days. Nothing to add there. Though I would prefer to see Bailly in there over Lindelof.

I am going for 2-1 to United with our backs against the wall.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Wondering if a back five with wing backs might suit this game.

Lindelof, Maguire and Bailly as the back three. Negates the need to play a DCM, although could still play one in there.

Can't see it though, it's more likely the usual 4 2 3 1.

3. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I do not see that ever under this manager. Shaw and Wan-Bissaka pretty much pick themselves all the time. Sadly Wan-Bissaka doesn’t offer much going forward. And Shaw rarely attack the flanks. So their full usefulness full backs is somewhat negated in 4-2-3-1. Limited linkup plays and you can see that when we struggle to break anything.

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

You could play Wan Bissaka on the right hand side of a back three, and use Dalot as the wing back.

Shaw is perfectly alright playing left wing back anyway, but the same could be applied to him, with Telles as the left wing back.

Unlikely Dalot or Telles get a game tomorrow though.

5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

As an aside, there's a young lad called Ethan Laird on loan at Swansea at the moment. He'd be an alternative in the right wing back role to Dalot, looks a good prospect.

He's a right character too, already very popular.

Diego likes this.
  6. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I’m going to look him up.

I would like to these talents come through fully as opposed to always having to buy. Mejbri is another one that should be fighting for first team place. He’s going to be 19 in January which isn’t exactly young in today’s game.

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

This game could go either way. Both teams look vulnerable at the back but Liverpool are playing better going forward.

Rashford plays well against them. I think the counter attack against them seems to suit him. He's come back from his op like man reborn. The body language is so much better than last season when clearly the injury was affecting him on the pitch. Having said that, he did seem to get a knock in the game against Atalanta but I'm not read anything about it. If he has a good game I can see us edging it 3-2 or something then.

The problem is, if they score first and early then we're fcked. Only see the game going one way then.

8. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't lie I'd be shocked if Liverpool didn't win. They look a much better coached team at the moment. United will need a raucous OT crowd to have any chance.

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

If we lose we're 8 points off the top and probably 4 points off Spurs and level on points with West Ham, Everton and Arsenal <laugh>

We'll spend the rest of the season fighting for 4th at best.

If we draw it's not any better tbf.

Bloody hell.

cytrax likes this.
  10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, all true.

Equally, we win and we're right back in the mix.

Must win game then! Genuinely looking forward to the team selection.

Tomorrow going to be bouncing by the way, there are no worries that the crowd won't be right up for it.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

We win we're on the coat tails for a while.

We then have to beat Spurs and City just to keep up.

It's not going to be easy but has to be done.

12. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

The good thing here is that there’s no extra motivation required from the coaching staff. The players will ask need all need to step I and prove a point.

I really think that we will win this one mainly because we have the players to do so and looking for the momentum from the second half of Atalanta game to be carried over into this one.

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It's a fair point about players and manager not needing any more motivation. They all know what they're playing for.

IF we win then we really can turn the performances and the season around.

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Got a terrible feeling about this game, not sure we have enough players in the first 11 with the passion required in a game like this.
    Would even go as far as to say i would like to see Lingard start (not sure who for) because i think he might add a bit of bite/fight to the team.

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

LOL blaming the players before a ball's been kicked.

Ronaldo, Greenwood, Rashford, Bruno, Cavani, McTominay, Shaw all lack passion apparently.

5 of those are attacking players. But apparently Lingard will make all the difference.

Interesting that Klopp doesn't seem to have this "apparent" lack of passion within his squad.

cytrax likes this.
  16. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Just a personal feeling mate, no need for you to worry about it.

17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Who said I was worried?

The idea that sending out players with lots of passion is what's needed here is naive to say the least. It'll depend far more on the line up and the tactics.

Fwiw, ironically 10 years ago this month iirc we played City at home. We were 3-0 down I think and scored to make it 3-1 and the team suddenly had the passion of Custer's last stand. We lost the game 6-1. Passion will only get you so far, and it certainly won't be enough on its own OR the decider in the result tomorrow.

Diego likes this.
  18. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Where did i say passion was enough on it's own <doh>

19. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

There should not be an argument as to whether or not we could win this game with the squad that we have. But the fact that we all seem to have doubts says all that need saying. Quite sad really.

Diego likes this.
  20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I never said you did, but it's the only thing you said.