1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United vs Southampton EFL CUP Final Sunday 26/02/2017 Kick-Off 4:30PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

<laugh> After 21 years in management, I have had an absolute bellyful of "continuous improvement" thanks. In my experience that particular concept means lot of unnecessary trouble being imposed to very little effect on people who would have been better off being left to get on with their jobs.

But, yeah, on balance anything that eliminates or reduces poor decisions is welcome so long as it is not at the expense of slowing the game down.

fatletiss likes this.
  2. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Great minds and all that.

I'm probably wrong, but those against technology are against it because it's not going to be the perfect solution
    Tom will have a better idea, but refs must be having to make decisions currently without all the information to hand, because their view of an incident is blocked or two or three things are happening at once(e.g. Holding in the penalty area)

For me, the two golden rules for any technology introduced should be;

1) on field ref has control
    2) technology only in use when play is dead

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I agree....I have nothing against technology if it helps the ref, but I don't want any extra stops to the game. I know enough about human nature to see that we must not allow any opportunity for queries from players and coaches for tactical reasons. Happens in tennis where players question calls just to draw breath or put off an opponent who is on top. And because it is there, cricket umpires now refer calls to the off field umpire when they could easily have made the decision themselves....almost like they are afraid to trust their judgement. Checking for offside/handball when a goal has been scored comes under the category of not interfering with the game....though some offsides will still be up for debate under the old 'interfering with play' category.

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Sounds like we've found some synergies between us <laugh>

Oh ok then, I'll **** off :)

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Agree that that is the place to start. Like I said the other night, I'm not completely against it, just think a lot seem to think it's simple when in reality it's not.

The way you've said does at least eliminate the issue of stopping the game which could be problematic, and also I'm dead against the idea of teams having 'challenges'.

6. fatletiss

I've said all along there is no need to stop the game. Just have another bloke miked up to the referee with a TV screen in front of him.

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

You might have but others haven't :)

In your scenario, would you introduce a time limit? Say 30 seconds?

8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

How about the longest time ManU players have surrounded the referee in the past and make that the time limit.? ;)

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Not just United. Most teams do it these days.

10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yes, but United have done it so much they've turned it into an art form.

EDIT: An epic edition of the art of surrounding the referee. I wonder how long it took in total to get any right or wrong decision sorted.? ;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

11. fatletiss

No, I'd let the chap in the room and the man on the pitch decide using a little common sense. The whole point about my suggestion is that we won't know it's happening. The one watching will just talk to the referee.

I'd try it and see how it went. They could try with just moments when game has stopped and see how that goes.

12. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Another aspect which I think needs to improve is the immediate communication between the ref and the crowd.
    I've not been to a live rugby match for yonks, but I assume the mic'd officials can be heard in the stadium and not just on TV.
    I think an easy improvement in the relationship between the ref and the crowd would be if tv review decisions are communicated by the ref.

13. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Won't happen.

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The conversation would go like this:

Ref: Did you see it?
    Video Ref: No, the big fat lino got in the way.
    Ref. I'll just nod wisely and give it to United then.