1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Marmite, Love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by thereisonlyoneno7, Sep 5, 2018.

?

Marmite. Love it or hate it

1. LOVE IT :)

64.6%
  2. Hate it :(

27.7%
  3. Never tied it

7.7%
  1. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Mr Godders......it is quite lovely, especially on toast like I had earlier.

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Incidentally, New Zealand Marmite. I won't entertain an argument on this. As a few of you might remember, in the early 1990s I emigrated to NZ. Stayed there for a few years but eventually we returned to Blighty. Thing is, the second or third time in the supermarket in NZ, we were going along the shelves and I noticed 'Marmite'. But not THE Marmite. It was Sanitarium Marmite [they also make Vegemite]. By this third time I had noticed that the 'Real Thing' was not about. Maybe it was in the bigger cities of NZ [it wasn't for years] but not here in Gore, Southland. So we bought some. And this is where I won't take the argument - it stinks. It is fowl. You will NEVER ever want this **** on your tongue. Even my NZ wife said, 'Hmm, I think the UK version is better'. In that statement hid a chasm of difference. While, at worst, the original Marmite is edible, at best this imitator won't make you heave. In reality, to many, original Marmite is sheer delight, and this stuff had me retching until I could wash the taste of it out of my mouth. The legacy I have is that I can still easily remember it's flavour and I haven't touched it since 1991. By the way, they haven't changed the jar or label since then, so I suspect the recipe is exactly the same. Avoid!
    please log in to view this image

3. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Sainsbury’s my friend, but I don’t believe the smaller ones sell it.

davecg69 likes this.