1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Postecoglou & Lange (& Paratici) Watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Apr 19, 2021.

?

Next gaffer, who's your preference?

1. Arne Slot

2. Ruben Amorim

3. Luis Enrique

4. Ange Postocoglou

5. Brendan Rodgers

6. Graham Potter

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He was toxic enough to kill his own board. Not sure he can blame that one on someone that couldn't post there.

Citizen Kane. likes this.
  2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Tbh my dislike of Rodgers is irrelevant but if he left Leicester to join us then he'd leave us to join Chelsea/City/United or Liverpool if they came calling so its a no from me.
    We need a long term appointment so....these morons will go for Sarri!

3. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I can't see any long-term appointment pleasing the fans. I've no idea who's vaguely realistic that people would be happy with.

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

He’d leave if he were doing a good job here and got approached, I think short or long term, I’d take a manager who was doing a good job for a while and then worry about the future later.

As for Sarri, he isn’t that low on my list to be honest, good manager but there’s two or three others I’d prefer beforehand.

5. remembercolinlee

It's 4 weeks on Monday since we sacked JM and the club has no idea who will be our next manager.
    WTF were they doing during December/Jan/February and early March when we only won 3 league games out of 13?
    To have not had someone lined up is criminally incompetent management by the board.
    The season ends in 2 weeks time. Then it's the Euros. Our pre season and transfer window is going to be a joke imho.

How the hell are we targeting players with no manager in place?

The mismanagement of hiring JM in the first place, announcing the decision to furlough staff, joining the ESL and now this surely warrants some kind of change.

It's been 18 months of sheer stupidity imo

6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

We don't know this.

7. remembercolinlee

Disagree...if they had a manager sorted it would be clear.
    Bloke in a coat sacked...Hoddle unveiled in days.

Jol sacked Ramos in place in place in days.

Redknapp sacked close season AVB in place in just over a week.

Sherwood sacked Pochettino in place within a week.

Pochettino sacked and within 2 days JM in place.

To have sacked him 6 days before a final and still have no one in post nearly 4 weeks later says they had no idea and still don't.

Billy The Spur likes this.
  8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

They may have a target that isn't prepared to join right now and doesn't want it announced yet, as his team have something to play for.
    Adi Hutter at Frankfurt had his contract bought out by Monchengladbach on April 13th.
    His team had lost one match in 17 and were in a Champions League place, seven points clear of Dortmund in 5th.
    They've since lost three, drawn one and lost one, dropping out of the CL places and getting beaten by an already relegated Schalke in the process.

BobbyD likes this.
  9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Given the previous changes you have pointed out do you not think it's possibly they have the replacement lined up but he can't move until end of season?
    Shooting Jose at that time was probably the cheapest option and since you had nothing to lose league wise a temp manager could cause no harm.
    I would think your new manager is already in the bag but can't be announced yet.
    Then again i could be wrong and Levy has massively ****ed up <whistle>

10. remembercolinlee

Fair enough...hope you are right.

11. remembercolinlee

Hope you're right

Diego likes this.
  12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I don't know, either. We may just have a list that we're working through, as far as I know.
    Some worthwhile coaches probably don't want to announce a move while they're still doing something in this campaign, though.
    Frankfurt fans have not been impressed with Hutter's early announcement and it will taint his legacy at the club.
    Moving to a side doing worse probably hasn't helped his image, either.

Diego likes this.
  13. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

On the other hand

Hoddle sacked, Santini not hired until nine months later
    AVB sacked, Poch not in place until eight months later - and Poch wasn't our first choice

It also has to be said there's a little more to it in the case of a couple of names on that list
    - Ramos just so happened to be in the lobby of the same Seville hotel that a couple of our club officials also happened to be at even though we were not playing Sevilla or Betis or even playing a match in Spain at the time, even though Martin Jol was still our manager
    - Levy met with the ubermensch several weeks before Poch was sacked, IIRC it was after the Watford match in mid October although the trigger wasn't pulled until early November

So that's two cases of us talking with prospective managers even though the previous one hadn't been sacked, and I'm pretty confident when I say that the exact same thing happened with Hoddle considering just how flimsy the reason David Buchler gave when we sacked Graham, which is the opposite of what you're suggesting happened (and let's not forget just how ****tily the club treated Jol because Comolli went mad with power and Levy's pin number)

The thing is, this leads us to what I was saying a few weeks ago, namely that we should not pull the trigger unless we have at the very least a verbal agreement with somebody to take over, even if that meant a caretaker carrying the can for the last few games of the season given how unlikely it would be that any decent coach would want to change clubs with half a dozen matches left of the season (and especially not if we consider that several names on the poll, for example Nagelsmann, Rodgers and ten Hag, had other reasons to stay with their clubs for those half dozen games)

The issue is that if Nagelsmann was our top choice that was knocked on the head by the DFB and Bayern joining the managerial merry-go-round that's been the Bundesliga this season and it is worth asking if it was an open secret that Joachim Lowe would be stepping down after the Euros and/or that Hansi Flick was top of the DFB's list to replace him as both could have led to some managers hold fire on signing new contracts given they knew at least one of the Germany and Bayern jobs would be opening up this summer, while if ten Hag was our top choice Ajax activating the clause to extend his contract by a year meant we had to tear up any compensation package we'd prepared and draw up a completely new one (which we should have been prepared for, but that's another story for another time)

Personally I'm wondering if the rumours of Christophe Galtier looking to walk from Lille even if they win Ligue 1 hold water, because we all remember how we were set to offer van Gaal the job only for him to sign with Man Utd instead, yet did so at the exact time where Poch was on the outs with the Southampton board and practically fell into our laps because the club not only had to act quickly but also smartly, because the thing with our managerial appointments is when we spend too much time thinking about them we get a Santini, Ramos or Villas-Boas, yet when we have to make a quick decision we get Poch or Jol or Redknapp

14. remembercolinlee

Re AVB and an 8 month gap to Pochettino... Sherwood was not a temporary manager, he was signed as our manager on an 18 month contract.

****I am aware of the fact he was a glorified caretaker.

15. humanbeingincroydon

He wasn't on an 18-month contract, though, it was six months with an option for another twelve

That's why he was sacked a couple of days after the season ended, because he was at the very end of the six month period

16. remembercolinlee

Fair enough...didn't know that bit.
    Agree that our quick decision seem to work out better btw

17. humanbeingincroydon

It only came out after we sacked him, although it seemed to be a pretty open secret given Sherwood's final post match interview on MOTD had him joke about how the bloke in the crowd he had sit in the dugout for the last few minutes wasn't going to replace him as manager as he was English

Amazing that talkBALLS haven't picked him up for such witty repartee...

remembercolinlee likes this.
  18. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Given Levy's catastrophic record in appointing managers, we'd be far better off junking this list thing and writing down the name of every manager in the top 5 leagues on a slip of paper and pulling a name out of a hat....

19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

20. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Mad...but a better fit for us than Mourinho....and a lot cheaper to sack.