1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Massive Weekend

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Weekender.jpg
    The way transfer deals are structured these days can be very complicated. The Robin Koch transfer from Freiburg you would think would be straightforward as we European clubs in the top flight of German football and UK football? No think again

Earlier this week German press were informed that Leeds Utd were reneging on monies owed to 3 football clubs in Germany after the Koch transfer. Kaiserslautern, SV Dorbach & Eintrach were said to be screaming for cash owed to them by Leeds Utd. It turns out however that the headline was really a political attack due to RB Leipzig feeling agreived at the was JKA transfer deal turned out. In fact the reality is that Leeds Utd contacted Koch's first club to inform them they were owed a chunk of cash and would receive a cheque before too long, they weren't even aware of it.

So it was an attack on our club in reality as Kinnear explained that this is taking longer than expected due to covid as lawyers are involved and quite a few lawyers. The monies will be paid over when lawyers have their act together.

So we assumed a simple transfer of £13m for Koch goes to Freiburg, but we find out that they get less than that by some £400k because it turns out every club Koch played for wants a piece of the action:
    Kaiserslautern £130k
    SV Dorbach £32k
    Eintrach £290k
    Total £450k

I used GBP as I don't have a euro symbol on my old pc so it actually works out as £400k in total.

so imagine what it must be like buying south american players and I believe some Italian deals are complicated by links to organised crime etc

2. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Morning all. It sounds like some kind of Ken Bates scheme.

3. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

Personally I think that agents have to take a lot of the blame and it’s about time that the football ruling bodies got together and stopped agents operating.

4. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

The Bosman ruling certainly has a lot to answer for as well.<ok>

Doc likes this.
  5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This has been going on for years and the FA and Premier League have done nothing about it. How long ago was the West Ham cheating fiasco when Sheff Utd got relegated but because WHU had cheated by playing illegal players Mascherano and Tevez.....

so WHU stayed up when they should have had a points deduction and much smaller Blunts got a compensation payment from WHU who must have peed themselves. How many years ago was this and it still goes on. All because of a dodgy agent and a toothless football authority who said it was illegal to have any player owned by 2 parties yet these 2 were owned by a football club and also an agent, so the transfer fee was split....

Gessa, Irishshako and Infidel like this.
  6. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

I had forgot all about that Doc!!
    Great points highlighted and supports the fact that the FA are corrupt bent bastards.

Gessa likes this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Look at the problems Inter Milan have with Christian Erikson, a player I would love to see at Leeds. A player who has broken more records and won more awards than De Bruyne, Erikson an attacking midfielder who guarantees to score more than 10 goals and create more than 15 goals every season.

Inter get him on a free because he doesn't want to play for Jose’ and refused to sign a new deal. He gets paid £120kpwk, but is struggling in Italy with the language so Inter put him up for sale. But who can afford to pay a fee for him and have his huge wages to pay as well? Its like Ozil who can sit on his ass for years not playing because hes getting £300kpwk and very happy thanks.

I think the days of giving stupid wages to a player because he is a free agent have to end. These players become unemployable and we may have a chance to get Drexler from PSG because he isnt getting a new contract and can walk on a free but will expect at least £6m in wages every year

8. Irishshako

I forgot about that Doc. <grr>

9. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Not quite strictly true Doc, they don't want a piece of the action, they are entitled to it, as per Article 21 of the FIFA regulations on transfers, which states

In addition Freiburg, receive the full transfer fee agreed, less taxes etc, however, the training/solidarity payment is an additional fee that is paid by the purchasing club, to any club or clubs that have aided in the training and development of the player transferred up to the age of 21.

This is something I found out about playing Football Manager 2020, so only know the very basics, but for those interested a lengthy and detailed article concerning the above can be found here

https://kennethrusso.com/training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments/

Edit - Have also just read that solidarity payments should be paid within 30 days of a player being registered with a new club, so those clubs entitled to a solidarity payment, should have received payment by 12 October at the latest.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Doc, FORZA LEEDS and Irishshako like this.
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Cheers Aski but ‘solidarity payments’ sounds like the usual Marxist shyte all organisations find themselves falling into these days. What a load of bollox, I get the payment from buyer to seller when it involves young kids who have spent years being coached and mentored only to walk into another football club because thats only fair. But once a player is a pro and serves out his contract or is sold on it just sounds like bollox to me.

sounds like I am owed a shed load of back payments for all the cars I have sold over the years, you know just in solidarity

FORZA LEEDS likes this.

11. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

I disagree Doc, these type of payments are the lifeline of small clubs. Take Eintracht Trier, they play in the 5th tier of the German league and are a semi professional club. Koch was with them as an amateur player for 5 years. Koch's transfer to ourselves would net Trier approx Euro 290k, a trifling amount to any professional club in any of the major top league, but probably covers Trier's operating costs for the next couple of years.

Say Barnsley sold Aapo Halme to someone for £10mil. We would receive £100k, in reality a totally insignificant amount, pays two of our players wages for a week. However FC Honka and Klubi-04 the two Finnish clubs that Halme played for before he was 16 would also receive £50k and 100K respectively and at their level may cover the whole of the wages budget for a year if not more.

Take James Milner, because of our financial situation we sold him cheap to Newcastle. When he signed for Villa, we would have received approx £300k in Solidarity Payments (in addition to any terms tied into the actual transfer deal). When Villa sold him on to Man City, we would have received approx £550k. Given how Bates ran our club, that probably paid a good portion of our first team squads wages for a year, which may have led to us having funds available to spend £300k on McCormack.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aski in all honesty I dont really care about other clubs mate. I’m of the belief that football clubs should run within their means whichever level they are at. If an amateur club finds a kid and brings the kid on, he then gets sold to a bigger club or even a pro club, the deal is done between the 2 clubs with the player involved. The deal is the deal and yes if the selling club put a clause in the contract for a sell on % or a future deal ok, but to carry on in perpetuity, not for me. What other industry does this sort of deal? If I buy some shares in a company and make a profit on the shares I dont have to give a % to someone who I made a few quid from that allowed me to buy the shares in the first place. Thats how business works, none of this Marxist bollox. Suppose thats why I hated the EU<laugh>

FORZA LEEDS and Irishshako like this.
  13. Irishshako

I thought you hated the EU because you were banned from flying into most it...:grin:

Doc likes this.
  14. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Well I've already said I disagree, so I will leave it there

Doc and Irishshako like this.
  15. Irishshako

Oh if politics was as easy as that....:emoticon-0105-wink:

Gessa and Aski like this.
  16. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I wonder how much the Chelsea ranch draws in each year from their perennial 'herd of nearly men' .....

17. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Probably not as much as you would imagine WJ, as a lot of those payments would be going to the clubs that loaned the players from Chelsea.

Thus if Arsenal sell Nketiah, then we would probably receive a payment equal to 0.25% of the total transfer fee, for the half year he was with us, in which we aided his development

FORZA LEEDS and Whitejock like this.
  18. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

Whitejock likes this.
  19. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Great story.

I had a similar problem last year, I think it was. Can't remember who we were playing, but we were in white & they were in light blue, I think it was. Don't know if it was my colour blindness or not, but I had real problems working out who was who.

leeds down south likes this.
  20. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

QPR. The only home game I missed (before lockdown of course).

Whitejock likes this.