1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Massive Weekend

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Mar 5, 2021.

?

How many points will Leeds finish on (12 games left)

1. 40- 44

28.6%
  2. 45-48

57.1%
  3. 49-52

14.3%
  4. 53 upwards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Weekender.jpg
    So far this weeks results are all going our way, so lets hope we can turnover the Hammers on Monday night, but in the meantime a couple of discussion points you may like:

Firstly we all know the relationship between Pep and Bielsa is very close, and I mean really close. Close enough that they can speak daily but every week they have a very long chat. We all heard the story of how Pep got into doing what only pep can do and how he flew to Argentina and spent a couple of weeks at Bielsa’s ranch in Santa Fe. Pep rang and asked if he could fly over and have a couple of hours of Bielsa’s time and he ended up staying 2 weeks and all they did was talk football and the Bielsa philosophy. This took place because Gabriel Batistuta who was a teammate of Peps wanted to get into coaching so Batistuta said he had to meet Bielsa. Now I maybe a mile away from the reality or truth here but I have an idea that Pep and Bielsa have a theory about strikers and think they can play without a central striker. This season we have seen Man City dominate the league and guess what they are using a false 9. They have used this false 9 last season but this season have got it down pat. They have Aguero sat on the bench and whilst he was out they also had Jesus sat on the bench. Man City will win the league and will have only given minutes to a striker. Jesus is now coached not as a striker.

Bielsa at Leeds didn’t seem bothered about a striker and sold Roofe because he thought he should be ahead of Bamford. Bamford struggling in front of goal but doing the rest ok, brings in Fast Eddie but never gives him much time, then goes out and brings in JKA but never too bothered and we know how that ends. Then promotion and we go out and buy Spain’s Number 9 but guess what, he plays him in the middle? It was at this stage we realise that Rodrigo was bought as a 10 or a second striker, indeed he even had Roberts as reserve for Bamford?

We then go out and pay money for the 2 best young strikers in the country. 18yo Joe (Joffy) Gelhardt a player likened to Wayne Rooney in stature and skill level. 19yo Sam Greenwood golden boot winner from Sunderland who left the Black cats for Arsenal and won the golden boot again for them.

Sam Greenwood England (All ages) 21 matches 13 goals

Joe Gelhardt England (all ages) 27 matches 19 goals

So we then see them starting for the U23s with Greenwood up front and Gelhardt as a 10 or 8 and this went on for 6 games. Then Jacko swapped them over and Greenwood moved to play as a 10 or 8 and Joffy went up top. Both are the leagues top scorers with 7 goals each. Yet again today Greenwood came on for Rodrigo in the 2nd half straight into the 10 role.

The question for me is why you buy the best young strikers and then coach them as midfielders. Could it be that these kids are being schooled in how to be effective false 9s? Will the set-up next season on the pitch be built around false 9s, or being able to change formation when needed?

Secondly lots of talk about our kids, are they good enough, will they break through etc. At the moment we have 11 players out on loan and the club employed a manager to look after all loan players both ins and outs. So I’m guessing he will be preparing a weekly report for Bielsa and Orta regarding the kids we have sent out. In my view I see some being released this Summer.

1. O’Kane is treading water but Luton like him but he hasn’t played since last season so I’m guessing he will be gone. Feel for him but his injury hasn’t cleared up.
    2. Gotts is flying and has scored a couple and assisted a couple. He’s a fans favourite at Salford where his owners are the Class of 92 whoever they are. I think Robbie gets another chance at Leeds Or maybe loaned out to Huddersfield as Corberan wanted. He would get tested in the Championship better than L2.
    3. Douglas at Blackburn has had some great games, some OK and some poor. He will not be back at Leeds.
    4. McCalmont is unfortunate that Harry Kewell is his boss and he’s an idiot, but again Alfie is doing the business and the Oldham fans love him, so I expect him to be back at Leeds for another chance. However he is another that may get loaned out to a Championship side.
    5. Bogusz at Logrones, Spain seems to be doing ok and has played regular and scored one and one assist, but this is Spanish 3rd Division stuff and when he landed he was the Dogz. Everyone said he would be a top player, but after being a top U23 performer and being maybe the best player, he went downhill last season to the point he hardly played and then didn’t stand out. Something happened and guess this happens quite a lot with young kids away from their homes? I think its touch and go for him. Could he get loaned out to a Championship club?
    6. LDB, well lets just write him off as a bad experience. He will not be back even though he is doing well in Belgium.
    7. Kun has had some bad luck as the team he joined only used him once yet he scored twice. Orta then sent him to Real Union in Spain and he plays either as a lone striker or as a 10, but has scored 3 goals in 13 starts but many were in midfield. Kun was as effective as Edmondson for the 23s and scored loads when he played up top, but he played a lot in the middle and helped us win the league and national title. He was from Barcelona academy and I don’t know what will happen with him now?
    8. Edmondson initially went Aberdeen where he scored on his debut and scored a couple more then smashed his ankle. He came home to get fit and went back, but hardly used. Orta brought him back and sent him to L1 Northampton. No goals yet, plenty of bench-warming and just one assist. I see no future for Ryan.
    9. Stevens went to Swindon and scored on his debut plus an assist. Regular starts then the manager gets sacked and new bloke doesn’t fancy him. Orta pulls him and send him to BCFC where he sits on the bench mainly. Looking like his time at Leeds could be over, and this is a kid who played in Bielsa’s first team and was on the bench. Disappointing.
    10. Hosannah has been one of the best players in the academy. We took him from Crystal Palace and he is the fastest thing in the club. He has skills that are scary and I have heard a few first teamers say he is the best player in the club. He then got injured and in fairness spent a long time out and then missed a lot of last season. Cody Drameh was brought in from Fulham in the Summer and we sent Bryce out to BCFC. He wins man of the match every time he crosses the white line for them and the fans rave about him. I have a mate who is a season ticket holder who says he’s the best player to be at Bradford for 15 years. He then gets injured again and is still out injured. I believe he has just got back in training and I wish him luck, but I fear the worst for him.
    11. Mujica was a strange one as Orta got him from Barcelona and Bielsa put him straight into the first team in a pre-season game. He was unlucky not to score, played pretty well even though he didn’t know his team mates. He was then shipped out to Spain. He is on his 3 rd club due to managers being sacked and new managers wanting to play with a big central lone striker etc. His last game for his 2nd loan club he scored 4 goals but Orta pulled him and he’s now at Las Palmas. He scored a couple but I don’t see a future for him which is a shame as he signed for Leeds due to its history, but Bielsa can be brutal.

So when I see our present academy and especially this seasons U23s, which is basically last seasons U18s in the main. I have to say the 4 players we brought in are the best 4 players in the group. Therefore my view is that we should see what they can do this season when we can, and see if any can save us a big buy in the Summer. On top of that Cresswell is 18yo and one for the future. Nohan Kenneh is going to be great at some stage and can play anywhere from 2 to 8. He in my view deserves a go at DM whenever Bielsa has half hour he can let him have. Niall Huggins is special in my view but if we bring in a new LB I fear Huggins may be sold but he can play anywhere on the left. Fast and skills with end product. Leif Davies has disappointed me a lot this season but in the last 2 U23 games he has played LB for the full game and has been pretty good as well as deceptively fast. Casey is now 20 and with the number of CBs we now have I see him being sold.

So it could be 2, 3 or 4 players come back from loans and move into the 23s and first team set up, but lets be frank here, Bielsa wants 18 first teamers and half a dozen 23s only. If Alioski, Forshaw, Pablo, Roberts and Costa go and we bring in new players there is going to be quite a few 23s leaving

2. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Rodrigo played as a goal scoring number nine I think he would have a birthday with Bamford and Raphinha.

Makemstine Roger and Doc like this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Couple of interesting snippets this morning. Jacko said that the kids yesterday loved having Rodrigo and Berardi training with them. He said we had 4 U18s and watching their faces being around top players was special, but the way Rodrigo and Berardi helped, and got involved was special, no superstars here.

Also just read what Deco has said about Raphinah and Liverpool etc. Deco is Raph’s agent and said he was happy at Leeds and only concentrating on playing, happy playing with ghis group and twice the word qualification was mentioned. First mentioned in a round about way final league position and then a blatant qualification pointer. So I wonder if the team actually think qualification is possible, or if this is just a booboo from Deco?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Joe Donnohue (@JoeDonnohue) Tweeted: Ratings, ratings, get your ratings.

8️⃣ Charlie Cresswell
    8️⃣ Rodrigo Moreno
    8️⃣ Ian Poveda

#LUFC U23s were classy as per today. Only dished out one nine though, and that was for 17-year-old Charlie Allen. Superb.

https://t.co/wePeT4c3ov

5. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Did poveda deserve an 8 Doc?. I'm asking because i never saw the game.

6. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

From what I saw @wakeycentraloneleeds , the first team lads (Rodrigo, Berardi and Poveda) were head and shoulders above the rest. You can just tell that they are used to playing at a higher level. It's almost nonchalant for them. The rest look like they are giving it 110% for every minute and although they have their good moments it looks alot more hectic for them.

I'm not sure U23's are the way to bring the kids through. Send them out on loan.

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I thought he didnt but thats maybe because I thought he was being a greedy Roberts type Billybigbollox instead of helping the team. He skinned everyone he went up against and rather than put someone in or cross he went back to beat his man again and again until he was swamped. So looking great but ending up a prat if that makes sense.

8. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Good thread as always Doc <ok>

Managed to watch the first hour of the U23's yesterday and paid particular attention to Kenneh & Drameh. Watched their every liitle move (when in camera shot) as I wanted to check off the ball movement, covering runs, anticipating danger etc.

Drameh (age 19) looked calm confident and assured in possession, he likes to drive with the ball and seems to have has enough pace to play PL football. Downside is the end product or crossing plus decision making when attacking is not there yet. Also he tends to choose the same options and movements when in possession so a little predictable. Now having said all that I'd still like to see him get his chance in the 1st team this season, just half an hour or so to give him a taste and drive him on over the summer to improve further.

Kenneh (age 18) is a different kettle of fish altogether. Played the Phillips role and for an 18 year old he's well on the way physically to be as imposing as someone like a Yaya Toure for example. However he needs to relentlessly work on his first touch in my opinion, as well as his body positioning when receiving the ball. His size means as he's come through the various age groups he's learn't to take a touch, stick himself between the ball and opponent and nobody can tackle him. Problem is he's often facing his own goal when doing this and he's rarely able to turn and drive with the ball or play a dynamic forward pass. His movement when not in possesssion is good but a little laboured at present and I'd like to see him speed up those movements and then he'll get on the ball more. So not quite ready for the first team...but...and this is a big but, this young lad potentially could be a top top player. A vital couple of years development coming up for him and you would expect that in another year he'd be ready to start making appearances at first team level.

Finally, when we're talking about touch, movement and positioning when receiving the ball, Kenneh only needs to look at his team mate Charlie Allen (age17) who showed all that in abundance yesterday. Totally different types of player, but the basics of football never change and whether you're big or small you should be working hard to improve those aspects that you as a player are weakest on. I'll be keeping a close eye on young Charlie next time to see what those are in his game.

9. Jammy 07

Burnley 1 - 1 Arsenal...at HT

Crazy equaliser for for Burnley as Xhaka passes it against Chris Wood and it deflects into the net form 6 yards.

Could do with an Arsenal win really.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  10. NostradEmus

I agree regarding Kenneh and Charlie Allen. Physically Kenneh looks ready to go but not quite there quality wise. Charlie Allen looks ready for a step up but looks very lightweight.

As for Dramah, he cuts inside too often from full back. If he does that in the PL he will run in to trouble alot and could cost us possession at times.

Whitejock and Makemstine Roger like this.

11. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

great thread mate thank you for the effort, really appreciated

12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Charlie Allen is another one we paid cash for in the Summer but doesnt get the attention the other 4 get, because he went to the U18s. But think Eire and Shaks no a bit about him as he is well known in the Irish League. We had to do a lot to capture him and he has now played around 3 times for the 23s and deffo going to be a baller.

Agree on Kenneh but he has only just started playing DM for the 23s as he is an U18 player who usually has to play CB for the 23s to stand in for Cresswell or Casey for 45mins when one is needed for the first team bench. He’s young and going to be a top player. I have said that I fancy him to be club captain at some stage and will probably skipper England. I watched him play for our babies in the FA Youth Cup against Man Utd last season. Kenneh was the standout player on the pitch and Man Utd had a few kids they paid a fortune to and are reckoned to be household names. Kenneh monstered all of them as a DM. He will be good

13. Jammy 07

FT at Turf Moor.

The 1-1 draw should suit us we now have a chance to overtake Arsenal on the run in and we have 2 games in hand on Burnley, who are 5 points behind <ok>

Blades up next against the Saints....draw or win for Sheff U would be fine.

Makemstine Roger, ristac and Doc like this.
  14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Blunts V Saints draw would be great
    Villa to beat Wolves also great
    Leicester to beat BHA another great result if it happens

15. Jammy 07

One point I forgot to add about yesterday's U23 match was about Rodrigo.

Yes he looked in a class of his own and some might say that's to be expected, but what stood out was his movement to get on the ball. Hopefully it showed some of our younger players that it's the speed and timing of that movement that counts as to whether you get on the ball or not.

First class enthusiasm as well <ok>

16. Jammy 07

EvysrWfXYAA58pw.jpeg

Think we'll start to see the best of him soon <ok>

NostradEmus likes this.
  17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Edmondson starts for Northampton
    Stevens still on the bench for Bradford
    Hosannah still not back for Bradford
    Young Alfie starts again for Oldham
    Robbie Gotts starts for Salford

18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Edmondson still no goal or assist today even though his team lead 4-0

leeds down south likes this.
  19. NostradEmus

He's been getting decent reviews for his build up play at Northampton with the local press bigging him up saying that he just needs to get a goal and he will be off.

Aberdeen were sorry to lose him too.

Doc likes this.
  20. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Hope so as he has grown on me in his new role. I did say he was not worth the money early in the season but he was being youted as a striker which he is not.