1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Match day-Really??!Town V Swindon

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

The problem is if we pressed like this from earlier we’d be caught on the break as our defence is so dodgy.What sort of numpty persists with playing two such inexperienced centre halves.That isn’t meant as a criticism of the young lads but yet another example of Lambert’s blatant mismanagement.

2. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I can forgive youngsters making mistakes and not reading the game but seasoned professionals playing at half pace and not tackling back makes me see red, when this season's over we must get rid of the non triers, and aged has beens, throw out the players who would rather be elsewhere, and start again with a plan and finances in place to make this happen, I don't care who the manager is but it has to be someone who can build from scratch almost, we know it won't be anyone who's any good because Evans won't spend the money for a man with a proven track record, personally I wouldn't mind Terry Butcher being given a chance if he's interested.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

We’ve let three goals in today. It doesn’t matter who is playing at the back - you don’t win matches by sitting back. That tactic should be reserved for being under the cosh against the best sides in the world in a cup match.

Our main problems at the back are having no right back and a very ropey goalkeeper.

4. Bigalreigned

All successful sides build from a strong defensive base!If we’ve got to score four goals every game to win we’re well and truly fecked,that’ll never happen!

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

The problems at the back are not with the centre backs, they are with Chambers at right back. But even then, our strike frailty hurts us far more than our defensive issues and it’s more tactical ineptitude that’s hindering us up front than personnel.

6. fieldmarshall

I have to say that I think Cornell isnt good enough, I thought he was badly at fault for 2 of their goals so lets bring Holy back.

7. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Who knows how the whole COVID-19 outbreak has effected the team perhaps I'm being kind as a performance like this isn't particularly surprising.

The only encouragement from this, was the fact we have Downes and Norwood coming back and it was clear what influence they can have. Those alongside KVY and Edwards could change our season. Problem is were relying on players who've had long term injuries and not played much football in over a year to pull us through, is that likely to happen, unlikely. Whatever happens they are needed especially as we have a manic fixture list.

This again highlighted to me that Norwood is the only striker we have who can effectively play the lone striker role

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

If both Norwood and Jackson are fit and available, we should be fielding them both as two strikers on Saturday against bottom-of-the-table Burton. I’d say that game is a good opportunity to get a win under our belt and score a few goals, but I would’ve said the same for yesterday’s game against Swindon, who were second from bottom and were coming off the back of six games without a win.

With Edwards missing, we lack a proven, class winger. This is undoubtedly having a negative effect on the quality of our wide play. Jackson, for all his huff and puff, is not a good winger. Dobra - who was one of a couple of Town players who had a decent first half performance - faded until he was substituted. I was surprised Lankester wasn’t given more of a chance, as he strikes me as having the potential to be a good player for us. But he is coming back from injury.

I can see why Lambert is reluctant to go 5-3-2 with attacking wing-backs. Both Chambers and Ward are unable to effectively roam forwards and track back over 90 minutes. KVY would solve that problem at right wing-back. I don’t trust Kenlock to provide the same threat and balance down the left.

What should be abundantly clear to Lambert off the back of yesterday’s defeat is that Holy is a better goalkeeper than Cornell, Huws should not be a first team starter, and Drinan is not a good enough centre-forward at this level. As a team, we are also far too static in the attacking third.

9. Bigalreigned

Having attended the home fixture against Burton I wouldn’t be confident of us being capable of taking three points off them away from home!!

10. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Having watched highlights,it was abundantly clear that Swindon wanted the ball more, moved it about better and were a constant threat 1st half. Just look at the space they created down Chambers side, and left Ward for standing!

Unless can win next game, and start playing as a team, and stringing some results together mighty fast, I can only see us heading downwards.

It's gonna take a lot to re-kindle my fire!

11. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

We now play at such a pedestrian pace, it’s not true. Very little creativity and I don’t see much changing with the current manager. Evans is certainly to blame for certain things at the club but the style of play is completely down to Lambert & Taylor and nothing is changing

fieldmarshall likes this.
  12. fieldmarshall

All things considered Covid
    One thing is certain we can't go on like this, ok there's terrible injury problems and Covid disruptions but all that aside our decline doesn't look like coming to an end any time soon, Evans policy of under investment over many years is there for all to see and with no end in sight, we have hopeless, useless, players who wouldn't get in a pub team plus ageing pros who now struggle in this lowly division, there's no drive or ambition from the top so nobody else seems to give a damn either, so terribly pissed off.

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.