1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match report V Cambridge.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by lyndhurstgreen, Dec 12, 2015.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Another disappointing performance/result from a windswept rainy and a bit chilly home park.

Fair play to Cambridge, they were well drilled, attacked and defended as a unit, but most of all appeared to have more desire/spirit than the greens-but actually man for man I am not convinced they are any better than us?

Struggling to remember many highlights from the first half - we tried to pass the ball on the deck- they were first to every ball, Wylde made a couple of decent runs down the left but without any end product. Plenty of misplaced and aimless passes. Despite the return of Hartley (more about him later) and Mchugh, the defence looked decidedly shaky-Sawyer was his usual Steady Eddie which is fine providing the rest of the team play well but an attacking full back he is not. Mellor had one of his 'off games' - his powderpuff approach means he has to be in a winning team otherwise his confidence takes a complete nose dive. Despite Argyle having most of the ball, it was no great surprise when Cambridge scored - more defensive slowness allowed Corr a little space to turn and shoot through Nelson's legs and passed the unsighted keeper. In fairness, every time Argyle attacked (albeit slowly) Cambridge were very quick to assemble their two banks of four with two attacking the ball carrier and this pretty much nullified any threat .

DA clearly got into the players at half time and they came out and tried to take the game to Cambridge with some good attacking periods of play for the first 15mins. Cambridge sat back and we eventually equalised with a good Wylde header(!) from a decent cross from the otherwise anonymous Jarvis. At this point I would have put serious money on Argyle going on to win , but a combination of renewed effort from Cambridge and Argyle sitting back led to more pressure from Cambridge and the eventual winner. Hartley made another bad double mistake- he slipped when not under much pressure to let their attacker in; to add insult to injury he then tried to bring their player down and missed-an average attempt at a save by the keeper meant it was 1-2. A couple of half shouts for penalties and a bit of attacking intent gave some hope (but I think the ref was correct on both occasions). End result Cambridge won a game mainly because we didn't play to our potential.
    Front to back we were poor and no one deserves any credit. Walton in goal was less than convincing; cant kick and his handling is sometimes suspect. Back 4 looks fragile and their mistakes led to the goals. Midfield were not existent. Jarvis hardly turned up and Brunt for all his endevour had no end product. Worryingly DA didn't make a single substitution which can only suggest he has no confidence in those on the bench.

So, what next Hartlepool away and Yeovil at home suggests that we ought to take 6 points. Lets hope so, still in the top 3 and the matches are being ticked off. All argyle fans would have taken 40 points by Christmas but the last few games mean we are starting to think 'same old Argyle'- lets hope not.

PS No MOTM for me .

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Thanks for your report Lyndy it sounded just like you said at a very quiet Home Park..
    Good job i had my coffee to keep me awake..

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Sounds a similar game to Dagenham. but had more shots today.. Yes a mate of mine said it was very poor and brings back memories of 5 years ago. No passion throughout the team was his words.. Yep it all started like this last season at the same time. I hope we have learnt from that and get 3 straight wins now.. go into the new year in the top 3 would be encouraging..

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Without our key players this team isn't just ordinary....but relegation material.....the lack of goals is now effecting our so called good defence.

We have played some bottom half of the league teams recently....and they have all looked better than us.

Having been following on-line and on the final score programme on the BBC....it looked ominous that this wasn't going to be our day.....the number of ex-Argyle players who where scoring goals and having good games was rather sickening.... plus the winner here as well.

Adams stating that missing players might not be back until the new year.....how injuries that haven't seemed to be that serious are taking forever to mend seems rather mystifying.......bad luck that everyone of those injuries have been to an important player.

Walton didn't have a good game today.....McCormick on the bench but not deemed fit enough to start.....might still have brought some confidence to his defence if he had played.

Worrying that Adams didn't feel that there wasn't anyone on the bench he could bring on to influence the result....completely devoid of goal scorers in the team today.........somethings got to change quick or there won't be any confidence left in this team at all.....big things need to happen in the January window or we can forget promotion completely.....and am I dreaming that not long ago we where coasting with a five point lead at the top.

PS.....hope sensible is ok.....rumours that he was seen heading for the Tamar Bridge shouting "goodbye cruel world".

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  5. lyndhurstgreen

Plym, I share your frustration but relegation material we are not. I think from the warm up Luke made it clear that he had been told not to risk kicking it a long way- I expect he will be back on Saturday. The problem is clearly in the midfield and with Boeteng and Carey missing there is no attacking midfield of any substance. Would be nice to open the cheque book in Jan but not sure we will. Given DA's lack of confidence in the subs bench I assume he will offload them all in Jan to free up some wages...... not sure who would want them but it must have been worth putting the 'kids' on for the last 15 today, if only to put them in the shop window?

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yes Lindy frustration is the word......but even with players out teams like Dag & Red and Cambridge shouldn't dominate us at any stage of a game.....and not even to try a sub in hope was very disappointing.....how will they get experience at this level if they just warm the bench.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Couldn't help but notice watching BBC Final Score football programme yesterday afternoon.......there was I hoping that Argyle worked out how to score a goal or two....while ex-Argyle players where scoring goals for fun.........Noone, Judge, Hourihane, O'Connor, Easter, Lavery, McCrory and of course Berry against us.
    Plus the mention of Bolasie tying Southampton up in knots down the wing and crossing a brilliant ball for the winning goal.......they couldn't stop talking about him.......talk about turning the knife......depressing stuff at the moment.

8. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The rumours of me jumping off the bridge are premature everyone. I had a bit of a day yesterday to say the least and it may have been a favour given the outcome of the game.

As said previously my misus hasn't been well. I got a phone call after 25 minutes of watching rubbish at Home Park to say she was in Derriford A & E with my daughter. So thanks to my mate who gave up part of the match to take me, I was off to Derriford and didn't get home until 10.45 pm and find out the score until about an hour later. Too late to post anything as was a bit knackered. Pleased to report that after many tests, scans and the like they let her home last night with a box of anti biotics and a diagnosis of pleuracy. Not pleasant but not the outcome it could have been. As she pointed out this morning she saved me from the rest of the match so only did it for me. Kind to the bitter end.

Spoke to number one son and mate today who both said it was ***********************. Apart from the experience I was not too displeased to miss it. I am beginning to wonder where the next result will come from to be honest. From a great big high to a huge disappointment. Typical Argo aint it. I cannot see this being a good Christmas or January either.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sorry to hear about your wife being taken ill sensible......you'll have to put your apron on and give her tea in bed for awhile......she did you a favour in the end didn't she.....getting the goal back and then losing at the end with a goal from an ex-player.....knife turning stuff.

I was about to arrange a search party for you........bad result even with an under strength team....as I said above every ex-player seemed to be scoring yesterday.....bleaging typical init.

10. lyndhurstgreen

Get well soon Mrs sensible I know how rough pleuracy can be. Just a point of order, the Berry that scored against us was Luke Berry; he has never played for Argyle and has been at Cambridge forever. I think he is being confused with Durrell Berry who left us in June 14 and is (I think) still contracted to Torquay.

11. Greenarmyjoe

Sensible, thoughts are with you and the wife.. glad she is home with you.. You better thank her for saving you yesterday as from what i heard it was as bad as what me and Plym had to watch a few weeks ago.. Agree i cant see a result coming at this point. But as we know we will lift it and get 3 wins now on the bounce and we will be right back up there.. Then we will all be happy.

Hope the wife recovers soon, you know where i am if you need anything.. even ifs a bottle of ale! :emoticon-0175-drunk

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

My mistake Lyndy.....he was the only one I didn't check on Wiki......typical....O'Connor and McCrory both scored for high flying Burton.

13. Greenarmyjoe

It doesn't matter if it was Chuck Berry ..we lost.. Not good enough on that day.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thanks for the wishes bheys much appreciated. I read out some of the comments to her and she was touched for about 30 seconds until the dragon fought back. She now reckons I owe her big time so thanks for that.

Where is the next postive result coming from is all I want to know. I now have to wait till boxing day to see the next match. I'll be taking her to Derriford before the game so as not to cock up the match and post drink this time. Once bitten and all that. I was already down in the dumps yesterday and to be fair the football I did watch and the result once I saw it was awful. Given the high we were on the low part now seems twice as bad. As said, I can't see where a change is going to happen at the minute which makes it even sader.

15. Greenarmyjoe

Sensible, it will come in the next 3 matches .. all wins.. just done it at the bookies.. so a cert..

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I wish you well Joe and may all your flutters be big ones.

17. Greenarmyjoe

Well, not had to much lately.. then Hartlepool let me down tonight for a treble..<doh>

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If you put a monkey on them then it's not surprising joe......<cheers>

19. Greenarmyjoe

Not quite a Monkey... needed the score in normal time... it would have been a monkey return.. still will wait for Argyle to do that on saturday as hartlepool must be tired with the extra time.. Liked like a few players could not stand up either.. it must be Algae? its catching..