1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Watford

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 16, 2012.

1. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

The Match Thread
    The BBC thread is here
    and ESPN is here

cpfc.jpg View attachment 10685

CRYSTAL PALACE 4 v 0 WATFORD
    Wilfred Zaha - goal 22 mín. 1:0
    Chris Martin - goal 38 mín. 2:0

Craig Forsyth - caution 38 mín.
    Chris Martin - goal 50 mín. 3:0
    Adrian Mariappa - caution 59 mín.
    Kashigo Digakoi- goal 64 mín. 3:0
    Attendance: 13.324 (1.116 Hornets)

The Watford and their Golden Horde are travelling south across London to meet the best team south of the City of London. The Hornets look to extend their unbeaten run to five and sting the Eagles, who in their turn wish to squash the Hornets after a poor run of results.

CRYSTAL PALACE

please log in to view this image

• The Manager – Dougie Freedman on the Bristol game

”The lads were outstanding. We were the better side and played some great football to go two goals up. It's not like us to concede as we did in the closing stages, but this is a difficult place to come and I cannot fault the players.”

“We looked dangerous all through the game and might have had more goals. The result was a disappointment, but otherwise I couldn't be happier.”

• Palace

Jonathan Williams is recovering from his broken leg and a calf injury stops David Wright playing. Dean Moxey is ready to play after his knee injury.

Last time out v Bristol City
    Julian Speroni
    Nathaniel Clyne, Patrick McCarthy (c), Anthony Gardner, Jonathan Parr
    Darren Ambrose, Kagisho Dikgacoi - goal 64 mín., Owen Garvan for Mile Jedinak - 84 mín., Sean Scannell for Wilfred Zaha - goal 22 mín. -72 mín.
    Jermaine Easter,
    Glenn Murray for Chris Martin - goal 38 mín. and goa l 38 mín - 71 mín.

Substitutes: Lewis Price (gk), Sean Scannell, Glenn Murray, Paul McShane, Owen Garvan,

Julian Speroni in action
    -
    Update on the Eagles’ statistics

WATFORD

• The Manager – Sean Dyche about the Leicester City game

“We were prepared - if needed - to play a little bit more on the counter in the second half, after what I thought was a largely even first half.”

“There are plenty of players who deserve credit from tonight, though, so it would be wrong to dwell too long on individual performances without recognising what was a team effort in the truest sense of the word.”

• The Hornets

With the usual suspects on the in the doctors room, Stephen McGinn and Martin Talyor are joined by Sean Murray who was removed at half time against Leicester with a knock after scoring his first goal for the club and Troy Deeney may miss the game with a hamstring problem. Lloyd Doyley is able to playafter a successful appeal against his expulsion against Leicester City.

Last match v Leicester City
    Scott Loach
    Lee Hodson, Adrian Mariappa - caution 59 mín., Nyron Nosworthy, Lloyd Doyley
    Alexander Kacaniklic, John Eustace (c), Jonathan Hogg, Mark Yeates for Craig Forsyth - caution 38 mín. - 73 mín.
    Gavin Massey for Joe Garner - 46 mín., Chris Iwelumo

Substitutes: Jonathan Bond (gk), Carl Dickinson, Prince Buaben, Mark Yeates, Gavin Massey

Lloyd Doyley, testemonial year and suspension reprieve

Who will win?

Current form
    Crystal Palace have drawn their last three matches and have not won since last year when the beat Millwall, they do manage roughly one goal each game. This average is good as Watford are on a four match unbeaten run and are scoring two each game. Curiously Palace’s last nine goals have been scored by eight different players and Watford’s by seven.

The history at Selhurst Park. Crystal Palace are not the most generous host when Watford visit. In the 49 league meetings the hosts have 26 wins against the visitors 13 and 90 goals against 50. There is unlikely to be a repeat of Palace's 8:1 win in september 1959 or perhaps a little more attainable Watford's 0:3 win in the play-offs of 2006. On the hosts plus side they do appear to be good at beating Watford by a lot.

Akureyri's Prediction: 2:0 About time Palace won and Watford lost. Having beaten Leicester City a little luckily it will be the visitors who suffer a loss of luck dominating the match and losing.

skál/skål/cheers/salut

Don't forget
    The Hornet’s Nest Drop in for some match chat.
    Travellers may want some information about Croydon.

2. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Hopefully the frost will stay away as Palace don't have undersoil heating at Selhurst Park

3. babyhornetdan

babyhornetdan Well-Known Member

Great job as always AK. You must dread midweek then Saturday weeks. You have to do 2 MT's in the space of 4 days!! Have this on me <ale>.

I have said 1-2 to the Golden Boys. I hope i am right, but either way it should be interesting as its a Derby and always seems to provide some talking points.

4. geitungur akureyrar

I do not like midweek games, can the league be made smaller. Christmas and Easter is bad as well.

5. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Another win please ! Any news on our "forward" Deeney? Hope he is fit again, soon to be a genuine striker I think !

If we lose it puts me in a bad mood and I've got to meet the bird's family again on Sat night. Not easy for a semi-gringo !

COYH !!!

6. geitungur akureyrar

It is not good to writ a thread tired and put Coventry City as the link instead of Crystal Palace, but is correct now.

7. babyhornetdan

According to the stats, Palace are 20th in the home form table. But Watford are 17th in the Away form.

8. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Deeney is a doubt, as is Murray. Hmmphf. But with the return of Massey, i'm guessing we're heading further down the youth road. Should be interesting!

I have a good feeling about this game, which often means it won't end well! lol..but..i'm not going, which often means it will end well...so, i'm going with the latter, and thinking 1-3 to the Golden Boys ;)
    (hands up if my prediction shocks you ;))

Great thread as ever Ak, thank you :)

9. SandyHornet

SandyHornet Active Member

I'm going for a very close 0-1 win to the visiting 'orns. Mrs Sandy is planning something for the weekend so I may not get much chance to hear about the game. But please can everyone send in as many updates as possible. It's probably going to be my only contact with the game tomorrow <ok>.

<yikes><yikes><yikes> H, where did you pull that result from. I have never seen such a random selection from you before, I am shocked <yikes><yikes><yikes>

10. nisman94

nisman94 Member

First post (yay!). You'll soon come to know me as the guy with the overly pessimistic (and wrong) predictions. I'm going for a 3-1 loss with iwelumo scoring from a header

11. babyhornetdan

Hi nisman. I dont know what to make of that. Its a very pessimistic prediction. But you appear to be hoping for a miracle with Big Chris scoring. <yikes>

12. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Welcome nisman - A bit of pessimism is more than welcome on here...

I am going for a 0-0 draw at the ground at the end of the world

Great thread AK - 5*'s as usual

13. nisman94

nisman94 Member

Law of average would state that he's got to score again :smile: (at least i think that law applies to him)

14. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

I haven't read the rest of the thread, and can only assume you're talking about Lloyd.

If he were to score again, Luther's record would start to come under serious pressure.

15. babyhornetdan

you might wanna read it all lol. We were on about Big Chris! Now thats mistaken identity!! Are you David Webb in disguise lol

16. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

We can certainly rule out Mapps scoring tomorrow - he has his one for the season - just glad I got to see it.

17. North North Watford

They both wear yellow shirts, and both stand within 80 metres of each other for a couple of hours every other Tuesday. I think it's unreasonable to expect anyone to distingush two such similar people.

18. yellotoyou

yellotoyou Active Member

just about to set off for this my closest league match of the season - but before i do I thought I'd point out that when we win this afternoon it is most likely we'll be 12th in the league (given who those just above us are playing) - thats in the top half and just 3 wins away from safety.

Bring on Southampton next Saturday!!!

COME On YOU 'ORNS

19. North North Watford

With at least one administration coming into play (and the real possibility of Pompey losing more than the 10 points they already have) the safety line will be considerably less than 50 points.

20. North North Watford

Forsyth in for Murray, Massey on the bench in Craig's place. No other changes according to Jon Marks, but he does add the qualifier that he only had 10 seconds to digest the team sheet.