1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Matchday Chat

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Bluebaldee, Sep 26, 2020.

1. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

So hard to predict how the Sheff Utd game will pan out - are Utd really as bad as their league form suggests? - Compared to us, I doubt it somehow, there must still be a huge gulf in class and ability between even a very poor Premiership side and a 1st Division team. What sort of side will they send down? Will they blood some yougsters and save their senior players for their relegation battle, or have they already given up any thoughts of survival and will go all out for a decent cup run? It's a minefield to second guess what might happen, so I'm hoping their confidence is rock bottom and we can score early to unsettle them further. If we get it right, I think we can cause them problems, but I feel it's imperative that we start strongly and give them something to worry about.

Bluebaldee and old timer like this.
  2. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Well we certainly have nothing to lose. Blades will be low on confidence and we have home advantage so that levels things up a little.

I’m not really expecting us to win as they are a Premier League team after all but we do have the players - Nicholson, McCormick, Oztumer etc to cause them problems.

One great thing in this tedious and boring lockdown is that the game is on TV so no shelling out a tenner for crap constantly buffering iFollow!

UTG!

GreatWesternGas likes this.
  3. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

No Nicholson - is he injured?

Apart from that I think it’s our current best 11. Blades have brought down their current strongest. Should be a good match.

4. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

1 - 1 Kilgour the scorer at least we are not going down without a fight

5. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

1-2 Blades - it was coming.

Do we have any left in the locker?

2-2 Ehmer

Bugger 2-3!

3 goals in 5 mins.

6. old timer

2 - 3 blades

Burke seems to have made a major difference since he came on

7. old timer

We lost 3 - 2 to a premier division side after an own goal gave them the lead, we fought back twice and that fight and spirit bodes well for the rest of the season

8. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Oh well - we gave a good account of ourselves and if we would have just kept it tight after the second equaliser we might have made it to extra time.

Well done Gas!

old timer and GreatWesternGas like this.
  9. GreatWesternGas

I thought we did ok to be honest - that was a strong Sheff Utd side, we were missing 2 key players, especially Nicholson, and after conceding so early in the game, we could have been over run. We held our own for much of the match, and apart from some sloppy defending for their 2nd and 3rd goals, and a definite lack of concentration after we made it 2-2, we should be proud of our performance today. Even a poor Premiership team will always be vastly superior in skill, fitness, pace and ability than a 1st division outfit, so there was no shame in losing today. That looked like a good team effort to me, and hopefully Tis can now see the areas he needs to look at and strengthen. Optimistic for the future, having seen the team tested by some decent players today.

old timer, Quilllogic and Bluebaldee like this.
  10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

We made a good account of ourselves and the result was fair because they could have easily got many more goals if it wasn't for some really good last second tackles/blocks/saves.

There are lots of positives to take away from this performance though which will help for the rest of the season.

As for Nicholson missing, is he injured? Or were we not letting him get cup tied in case a bid comes in for him this window as no doubt he has got a lot of attention so far from elsewhere. Remember mind, it was sold to the players on their arrival they we would be a stepping ground for them for us to sell them off for us to gain profits. So if a decent bid comes in, I think we will accept it and not wait for the summer. Hopefully though this doesn't happen and he was just rested for the next run of games.

11. old timer

Sheffield Utd won their first league match of the season today 1- 0 Newcastle so we should take heart at least we scored 2 goals

We don't appear to have a striker on the pitch tonight just started following the game

Yellow card for Agogo maybe his disciplinary record was why BG wanted him out
    0 - 1 to the wombles

Just the league to concentrate on now

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  12. GreatWesternGas

I hope Tis knows what he's doing - that team looked a car crash on paper tonight before the game even started. Ok, so he was no doubt prepared to gamble on this game to give us better options for the heavy and more important league fixtures ahead, and Ok, he was prepared to risk the chance of £40,000 had we progressed, which sounds a lot, but doesn't compare to the risk of relegation I guess, but the worst thing of all, and I mean the very worst thing about it, is that this result hands Massive 8 points in the prediction league - the bloke who predicts a 1-0 defeat for us week in and week out, regardlesss of who or where we are playing! I am seriously thinking of contacting the FA to investigate any betting irregularities or dodgy dealings that Tis and Massive may be involved in - all sounds a bit fishy to me! <steam>

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  13. years ago

years ago Active Member

I have been for many ,many years a supporter, quiet but keen. I have not voiced many opinions and I have been supporting board as they make the decisions with more knowledge tan that I have.. I was happy with last manager but not surprised that he had to go, although I still feel that progress was being made, but I did feel he would should have had a strong number 2
    I am doubting that Tisdale is the answer .Whatever excuses or reasons he has made for yesterday, it was poor selection.
    Resting players was understandable, but to replace with so many midfielders and no POTENTIAL goa scorers was wrong. Play the youngsters from the beginning yesterday His love of crunching mid fielders is Division two mentality. We need to continue with attacking midfielders to supply keen runners up front
    I also find Tisdale not keen to be as open with local press as others, we, are left in doubt/dark too often

Quilllogic likes this.
  14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

<laugh>

15. old timer

I wish todays ref would stop Charlton from standing in front of the ball / kicking the ball away at free kicks. I was under the impression that not retiring at free kicks was a bookable offence

1 - 0 down the way we are playing i cannot see us pulling it back

If Charlton had all walked off the pitch we still wouldn't have equalised to slow in movement thought and playing across the back with a couple of minutes to go and trailing by a goal to nil was plain stupid, all the games in hand won't do us any good if we play like that a long hard season awaits with relegation at the end unless we bring in some players of quality this window

Crewe and oxford next 2 can't see us getting points from those 2 games

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  16. GreatWesternGas

I should have thought I would have learned by now, not to post comments straight after a defeat, as its often wiser to let the dust settle and leave it till later. Having said that, it strikes me that Tisdale has inherited an absolute crock of **** with this team - some good individual players, but useless as a coherent team of 11 players with absolutely zero consistency and not much of a fighting spirit between the lot of them. I am fed up of finding excuses for inept performances and poor results - you can only blame injuries, lack of squad depth, poor refereeing, individual errors etc for so long - the cruel reality is that contrary to initial hope and belief at the start of the season, we are a very poor team that are getting found out more weeks than not. As Old Timer said, we now face 3 away games at Crewe, Oxford and Peterborough - any takers on how many points these 3 games are going to gain us? Having at least 2 or 3 games in hand on those teams around us means absolutely nothing if we don't get any points from them, and judging from the Wimbledon and Charlton games, that's quite likely. Personally, thanks to the state of the teams below us, I'm not yet expecting us to be relegated - just. However, unless we can acquire a decent striker very quickly, I will be mentally preparing for the worst very soon.

17. old timer

4 minutes gone Crewe 1 - 0 Rovers I think it's going to be a long evening

2 - 0 to Crewe

Following on live text Crewe have had 2 shots 2 goals we have had 2 shots and their GK didn't have a save to make

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  18. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Oh for goodness sake what is Tisdale doing? We’ve only got Hanlan up front and he’s playing Ehmer in midfield with Baldwin and Harries in a back three.

No wonder we’ve already lost the game with 25 mins gone.

Absolute rubbish.

I’m following this ****e on BBC text and so far all of our attempts on goal have been “high and wide”.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  19. old timer

Can we please get Davies back from Barrow they can Harries and Baldwin in exchange, also can we have a LB who can defend Kelly is a good bet and if Mark Little isn't fit to play can we find a RB who is. I am beginning to despair of us ever winning again in the short term and soon it will be to late, if they curtail the season like last year then we are strong candidates for league 2

20. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

We’re strong candidates whether they curtail it or not!

I honestly don’t know where our next goal is coming from.

old timer likes this.