1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Matty Longstaff

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

I've not seen him on for a while TBH.

LiamO and GeordieHalfbreed like this.
  2. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Apparently he is our highest paid player so over £70k a week. I am not sure if he gets a scoring bonus as well but he probably can’t remember either. .

3. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Been away for a while, so I missed the real life fight in this thread and when the thread suddenly became about Joelinton.

£70k for Joey boy is hilarious, but at least his goal bonuses will be pretty minimal. That's almost as horrific as the £80k a week Dyer got for being wheelchair bound, or the £120k a week we retardedly gave to Owen.

But anyway Mongstaff is good, if he wants 25k a week he should get it, he's proven himself this season, and he'll easily get that wage elsewhere.

4. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

^^^This
    Thing is a promoted side would take him next season on a free and pay him the £25k,a small price to pay for a player with potential!

You have to laugh at Ashley paying Rafa £6m a year and Bruce only £1m,probably scratching his head and asking how that happen when we're in the same place if not better under Bruce and he's squabbling over 5/6 grand:cheesy:

5. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

half a kilo of bob hope per match by the looks of him.

Mick O'Toon likes this.
  6. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

Dr Nickilas Van Helsing Well-Known Member

tbh when joe went off vs oxford you could see we struggled.

7. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Having done a bit of further research I think probably £25k is a bit higher than what he is worth considering where he is in his career to be honest.

A lot of young English players who have played a lot more than him are on less than this I mean look at Hayden as an example - young, english, midfielder, uncapped and played a lot more games Hayden currently on £22,000 p/w - the lowest of the squad. Woodman is also on £3,000 p/w and I'd say he is probably a better prospect at this point in time. Others like Charlie Daniels, Dan Gosling at Bournemouth are both on less than the £25k he's asking for.

If he is on £5,000 p/w atm then a double your money deal with added appearance, goals, assist bonuses would be about right for the lad with an increased wage clause if he hits 50 appearances or something.

8. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

Gosling and Hayden are both absolute garbage

9. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

For me there's a few other factors though.

Matty will know full well Mike won't look at renewing his contract again after this unless he's in the last of the, presumably, 5 years or is getting significant interest from significant clubs.

The Milan / Manure links have probably increased his bargaining power.

I agree on Woodman, real prospect, but I think as soon as he breaks through in to the first team he'll be looking in that ballpark for wages. If Mike wasn't so notoriously useless at renewals he would be asking for a decent pay increase off the back of this season with Swansea. If he stays on that wage next season he'll want out and I couldn't blame him.

Daniels should be on 25k but in fairness he's 33 and has gone up the leagues with Bournemouth. His starting wage will have been peanuts up to what he's on now. He must surely have a good appearance fee clause? Hayden's on a pretty **** wage to say he's in the team so often but wouldn't this have been the contract we signed him up to in the Championship? They have talked of renegotiations this season.

I think, all in all, a 19 year old who's stock is high, is English and already looks capable in a Prem team may as well ask for 25k. Would I pay it? Course I would but I'm not a fat cockney bastard who uses my club as an advertising vehicle.

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  10. Charlie Dogscock

Maybe it can be an increasing structure, i.e. up to £25k per week after 6 months of the contract, but £10k a week for Matty is a joke if Joe's on £70k, Shelvey on £80k, Gayle on £55k etc.

He's clearly got massive potential and regardless of the stage in his career, he's forced himself into the first team and should be regarded as a first team player now, regardless of his age. Elias Sorenson is a youth team prospect, Matty is far beyond him right now.

The fact Inter Milan are trying to poach him is a clear signal that everyone can see his ability, and I won't be surprised if big English teams (Man U, Chelsea, Spurs etc) come in for him.

Do we really want to let a huge prospect go just to send out a statement that we have strict wage rules? I',m not saying go back to the days of a crocked Kieron Dyer being on £80k a week, just saying that £25k for Matty really ain't that big of a deal.

haslam likes this.

11. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

If you’re asking Ashley, yes.

12. Charlie Dogscock

That question was in some way rhetorical.

Rhetorical in the sense that the answer to everyone in the universe apart from Mike Ashley is obviously no, but the answer to Mike Ashley is obviously yes.

But even a ****tard like Ashley should know its not in his interests to let Matty go, after the way he conned Liverpool out of a fortune for Carroll, I would have expected the slimey money grabbing business man in Ashley to have pound signs in his eyes over a potential Matty sale, and have him signed up to a decent contract.

13. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

He was the obvious 1 to bring on today. Is Bruce cutting his (massive fat ugly) nose off to spite his (massive fat ugly) face, because of the contract situation?

He's away in the summer, don't blame him 1 bit

14. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

Sean and Matty can't play together. I'd rather we got rid of sean and kept matty personally

15. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

They've looked decent together at times but they aren't ready to play every game together

Sean is similar to Bentaleb and Shelvey. Matty is different to all of our midfielders, mobile and bags of energy. Should be getting much more game time

Hayden isn't a footballer

16. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Maybe so but had done more positives for us than any other midfielder

17. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Unlike that real Munson or RobErroneous, here is a genuine poster who actually goes away, does a bit of research and is man enough to correct his earlier assertion. The football market is volatile and affected by many moving parts including contractual situations etc etc. He isn't worth 25K in comparison to players of similar ability/experience. The fact remains though that his contractual situation means his agent has the ability to inflate his market worth and our position is very weak. Tricky for the club as you are cutting your nose off to spite your face in many ways by sticking to your guns and only paying him what he is worth. It does obviously set a precedent either way for agents/young players heading forward too. However the club may have to treat it as a one off case and simply bite the bullet here, and then stop getting themselves into this scenario by having a more robust contract renewal system in place.

I like the lad but he has a hell of a long way to go, as does his brother.

One thing for sure is we need a destructive midfielder who can play in there ASAP. If we want to see the best of Longstaffs and Shelvey, we need to get someone to do the hard yards and let them play. Hayden is a back up option. Bentaleb to me looks a meh player in terms of being what we need. He is another who likes to sit deep looking for world cup balls, throwing in the odd pirouette. Hopefully he gets better and maybe he has more aggression than we've seen. I'm not convinced so far though. He doesn't get close and just constantly recover possession. Hayden while he doesn't break down play like Kante type, he does at least get through some work. He just isn't good enough with the ball (although I think he's a centre half playing in midfield anyway).

18. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

Still nout

I hope, of the teams after him, he goes to Dortmund or Ajax.

This kid is going to the top, and Bruce prefers Isaac Hayden <laugh><laugh>

cronemeister likes this.