1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

McBride's - Off The Beat Discussion

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Bidley, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

That was the only good thing that happened tonight, Emerson playing well but can't say the same of his team mates!

2. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

What can i ay about one of my favourites

3. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Not been to many games this season for various reasons, but what strikes me is the managerial
    ineptitude to sign on, or retain he beast of our tallent
    Bogle coud be a real tallent for a million., what went wrong there
    Dembele what effort was there to retain him, allready being talked about as a 20/30mil player
    And EM making a name for himself at GR playing today lets see how he gets on.
    No wonder Slavi gets frustrated

4. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I'm a little hungover today, so I'll just share this random fact: did you know that if you have three Fulham season tickets in your wallet, it sets off security scanners at shops? One however is fine. Now you know.

Cottager58 likes this.
  5. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

I've been looking to find out the dates for the playoffs so I don't do anything stupid and book myself to anything else. I can see the final is 29th May but any idea of the matches before that ?

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Well, the last league game is 7th March, and they tend to play the semi finals as soon as they can then leave a gap before the final. They also stagger the semis across all three divisions, with a game or more just about every day. That means our games (if we make it) could be anywhere between Wednesday 10th and Sunday 20th for the two legs. That's a lot of diary space you need to keep clear COYW!

Fulham COYW likes this.
  7. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Someone please touch wood and can we give the layoffs a different name so we don't jinx things. Something like Fresh Bagels? I'm planning to look at the dates for the fresh bagels etc.

8. Captain Morgan

As some of you know, this season I've started coaching an under 10s team. I thought you might like to see the April Fool email we sent out to the parents this year:

Hi all,

Despite the recent disappointing run of results, Ed and I both feel that the boys have done well this year, adapting swiftly to the standard of football and growing as individual players and as a team. I’m delighted to be able to announce that the club have agreed to reward them for a great first season together as West Moors.

We’ve noticed how proud the boys are of their West Moors kit, which got us thinking about ways build on this sense of pride. We have arranged for the whole team to get matching tattoos of the West Moors club badge, which I’m sure will help reinforce the excellent team spirit that already exists within the group, as well as giving them something to remember these early footballing years for the rest of their lives.

Renowned local tattoo artist Flo Paroli, winner of the prestigious Ingest Award, has agreed to create these permanent reminders, but in order to accommodate us into her busy schedule we need to confirm numbers immediately. I can’t imagine that anyone would be foolish enough to object, but if you would prefer your son not to receive the tattoo, please let me know by 12 noon on Saturday at the very latest. Thanks. Placement of the tattoo is up to each individual, although shoulder, chest, or covering the entire face have all been suggested as suitable locations. Think about it.

Super Brian McBride likes this.
  9. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

This season we've played some of the best attacking football probably since Tigana, but we also know that our team isn't organised enough to defend properly in games.
    Tigana became obsessed with the beautiful game and passing to death without an end product. His philosophy was like Wenger's and both seem to be too stubborn to the detriment of their teams when things are going wrong.
    Will Jokanovic fall into the same category as he seems to have the same philosophy and hasn't sorted the defensive frailties we had last season under him, and Symons before him.

10. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

In a slight defence of Joka, we have conceded 15 fewer goals than the same point last season (we also conceded 12 goals in the last 5 games last term).

That said, I share the concern. There has been a national shift towards 'ball-playing' centre backs in the past few years and the overall quality of defending has declined as a result; we've definitely participated in that trend. If Joka is going to try and play out from the back then we need to find better centre backs than Ream/Kalas.

Personally though I'd like to see an end to this idea of pressuring central defenders/goalkeepers to try and play like central midfielders and that ball-playing is more important than defending (exhibit A: John Stones).

Cottager58 likes this.

11. Captain Morgan

I'm reminded of the story about a Fulham fan talking to Ray Wilkins in the early Al Fayed days. He asked him about Alan Neilson, who had recently replaced the less-than-polished Danny Cullip. Wilkins enthused about what a great passer Neilson was, to which the fan retorted, 'Yeah, but can he bloody well tackle?

That said, I like a centre back who is comfortable on the ball, why not get someone who does both. Hangeland comes to mind as an example of not having to choose one or the other.

12. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Sheffield Wednesday tickets go on sale at 10am on (appropriately) Wednesday.

With the early kick-off on 7th May, the club is considering a Saturday coach. However their statement made me chuckle:

"Given the 12pm kick-off, the Club is exploring the possibility of running a coach to Sheffield on Saturday 6th April, for fans considering making the trip early."

I'm all for getting somewhere early, but I pity any Fulham fans that went up eight days ago!

Captain Morgan and Cottager58 like this.
  13. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I've booked my tickets for Sheffield. Anyone else making the trip?

14. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

I am trying to juggle plans. It might mean being in a Wednesday area with my owl supporting brother!

Cottager58 likes this.
  15. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

Indeed - Tickets booked yesterday.
    Hopefully we'll still be in mix. So worth the 360 mile trip.
    But even if not, it should be a good atmosphere to end the season.
    #ItsTheHopeThatKillsYou - COYW!

16. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I hope all you chaps and yours are safe after this weekend's atrocities.

Surlyc, Captain Morgan and Cottager58 like this.
  17. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Same for you and yours, Bidley. This one struck very close for me (I often commute through London Bridge and drink in the nearby bars/pubs regularly), my thoughts go out to the families of those who lost their life.

Stay strong, London.

Cottager58 likes this.
  18. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Pajtim Kasami has been given an 8 month jail sentence, suspended for 3 years, for 'unprovoked insults' in a match between his club Olympiacos and AEK Athens. His over indulgent celebration after a last minute winner allegedly cause crowd trouble and the game to be abandoned.

A strange aspect of the court case was his defence team arguing for the case to be deferred because Kasami couldn't understand Greek and was not provided a summons in his own language. Then later claiming that Kasami's actions on the day were simply in response to slogans from the crowd.

Here's a link to a report on the whole saga:

http://www.90min.com/posts/5116522-...ouble?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share

19. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

According to a survey by shortlist .com. Craven Cottage came top as the most attractive
    soccer venue of the 15 surveyed . "something us fans always knew".

Captain Morgan likes this.
  20. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Not sure if it was the same survey, but I saw one posted that had Craven Cottage on top of list, with some really good other stadiums, but when I got to the bottom it had been written by a Fulham fan. :biggrin: