1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Media coverage of C-19

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, May 21, 2020.

1. Ghostinthehouse

Ghostinthehouse Well-Known Member

In between the bouts of senility, I have been known to have the odd lucid moment.
    Don't worry though, I'll be back to normal soon.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  2. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Personally, I don't think it's helpful to throw around insults at people you will ultimately be hoping to join your cause next time round. I hate how anything remotely political leads to insults rather than discussion - and both sides are as bad as each other on here when it comes to that.

In terms of the whole Dominic Cummings affair I think it is a total disgrace the way it has been handled. There are people who have been told they are not allowed to travel to help with relatives or with childcare because local authorities have services set up to help in that situation. I know this because I was not allowed to travel to help with childcare despite the fact the child's mother was diagnosed with Covid-19 and completely incapacitated as she is also receiving treatment for cancer. Luckily she was allowed to stay with a friend and her parents who live locally rather than going into care, which was the original solution proposed, while her mum recovered (which she hasn't yet - 7 weeks later). We all accepted the situation because these are the rules and we understood they have to apply to everybody. Good luck on getting a single conviction to stick for breaking lockdown rules when we have now effectively been told they don't really apply. It's a ****ing shambles.

3. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

In the UK right now there are a lot of people who voted remain.. who can’t get over it.... and some people who voted for Corbyn... who can’t deal with the fact their boy was resoundingly slapped down by the British public. Then... there’s some who tick both boxes who really are (still) rewriting the beel rule book as they go onto overdrive trying to politicise things and then act like they aren’t. Case in point being Sky who put up that woman to slag the government and forgot to mention she was a momentum activist.

Cummings needs a public slap on the wrists as did the Scottish woman (Not a forced resignation) and the Labour MP who did the same Also. Oh and also Corbyn who himself who ignored official instruction to self isolate as he’s an old twonk and set a really bad example to the elderly in his constituency and beyond.

cummings gets under the skin of the media big time as he was the puppet master behind the Conservative majority and Brexit policy. They literally hate him and he genuinely gives zero ****s which is quite good to see.

I saw an analysis earlier where by lunchtime Adam Boulton of Sky had tweeted 28 times on Cummings so far today.. and not once on the death toll, or reducing cases, or next steps on the lockdown easing etc.. says it all.

I’m summary there are media folk with a political axe to grind. coupled with some leftie remoaners who refuse to accept democracy.

pass the popcorn.

Ps- this isn’t a dig at those who accept the Brexit and GE results.

LiamO and Ghostinthehouse like this.
  4. Ghostinthehouse

That's a lot of words, where did you copy and paste it from......

Delusional Full Stop likes this.
  5. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

think I had an out of body experience.

Ghostinthehouse likes this.
  6. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

The media.... breaking multiple social distancing rules.... to put a guy for breaking a social distancing rule....

Do you see the irony?

7. Dr Van Helsing

Dr Van Helsing Well-Known Member

do they not use wheelie bins either?

8. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

posh bastards like.

9. Dr Van Helsing

Dr Van Helsing Well-Known Member

how come? so we have to put bins out twice a week aswel as stay in lockdowns

10. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

Genuine question.
    What are peoples understanding of the "meeting one person outside of your household" rule.
    If I was to take my kids out for a walk and to meet up with my mum is that OK? (Mum being one person outside of my household) but then is my mum breaking the rules as she is meeting up with more than one person outside of hers (myself and my kids).
    As I type that I'm assuming the answer is obviously that we cannot meet up as she would be meeting up with 4 of us

11. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

Those photographers are a bunch of idiots. No argument from me there. If any of them are displaying symptoms or have confirmed contact with a known sufferer of covid-19 then they are arguably also criminals. At the very least they are behaving in a morally reprehensible way. None of what they are doing is essential. This is a massive story but we don't need pictures of Cummings putting out his rubbish to cover it. They are also trapping his neighbours in their homes if they do want to abide by the government guidelines of social distancing.

It might seem pedantic but while the photographers are clearly not following social distancing rules they are covering a story of someone accused of not following social isolation rules - which is far more serious. The issue I have with Cummings in all of this is the contempt it shows for the general public. You have people who are obeying government guidelines - who cannot see their children, who cannot be with dying relatives and who cannot visit loved ones - effectively being told that their needs are not as important as his. He is also jeopardising the (mainly) great response of the general public, in support of the government, to the need for social isolation when displaying symptoms or coming into contact with confirmed cases. His actions show a level of contempt for public health that makes him unfit to be involved in the government response. Condoning those actions will lead to more people thinking they can also ignore the requirements we have been told are needed. It is plain wrong whoever does it and whatever their politics.

Flash likes this.
  12. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

I think your understanding of the situation that it is wrong is the correct interpretation, but the latest instructions are so vague that it is a real grey area. If you stick to two meters apart you should be ok - probably, maybe?

13. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

I’m sorry to have to say this and I don’t say it lightly and I don’t want to get into any deep political debate as friendships can easily be broken on issues such as this and I also hope people don’t pick sides or forget the ability to forgive is a virtue but on this point in fact on both points taken separately or together I have to say

T.

I’m sorry but that’s just the way it is. I agree with No Chance. I’m sorry.

Flash likes this.
  14. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

Delusional Full Stop likes this.
  15. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

They’re too busy responding to reports of some madman attacking cycle couriers with a golf club.

16. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Dom's family live just down the road at the cock 'o' the north in Durham city, aboutfabout 1 mile from my UK gaff. His family own Klute nightclub in Durham( officially the worst club in Europe).
    I like him. A typical Durham lad, doesn't give a **** what people think

17. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

I know one thing...if those 'photographers' were camped outside of my house the golf club would have to make an appearance!

18. Ghostinthehouse

Ik
    There lies the problem.
    If you are the PMs main advisor, unelected at that, you have to give a **** what people think.
    Not be some arrogant prick, who thinks he is above the rest of society.

19. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

He was walking around the grounds of Barnard Castle

20. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

What a bunch of rabid ****ers those photographers are. Standing there, huddled together, clearly breaking social distancing rules...I'd have them all fined...no, in fact, sacked. They clearly can't be trusted to act properly in public so how or why should they influence us with their images? Seriously though, I'm not a big believer in sacking someone for something like this, he should be giving a rollicking at the most and/ or a fine but to sack him? There are too many people out there who are after him, that's his biggest problem.

Albert's Chip Shop likes this.