1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Mental Health Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Steven Toast, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I’m not sure this is mental health or the place for this but…

Has anyone ever overcome a food addiction?

I have a serious problem with biscuits right now. I am probably eating 3-4000 calories in biscuits per day. I just can’t help myself.

I am not taking the piss. It’s been ongoing for 2-3 months and beginning to really spiral out of control. My body seems to have ridden it so far but this ridiculous amount of biscuits is sure to take its tool sooner or later.

Quitting smoking was far easier in comparison.

2. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Stop buying them.If they're available in your biscuit tin you'll keep eating them,if they're not you won't?

It's in your hands.

If stopping smoking is a recent thing that's what's causing your hunger.

3. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

nowhere near your level, but i cant stop eating them if they are there whenever i drink Tea, which at home is a lot.
    i will have 2 or 3 while the kettle boils , then take another 2 or 3 with me, but usually eaten them before ive reached the sofa, so will go back for a couple more, reckon if i worked at home i would be terrible.
    I think Rics advice is the best , as simple as it sounds, cannot eat what isnt there.
    also is boredom an issue? i eat so much when bored, sometimes i work in really quiet places and i eat my pack up before 10.30 just for something to do, then other sites i am so busy i get home and realise i forgot to eat my dinner at all

Ric Glasgow likes this.
  4. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

Psychologist / CBT therapist / Behavioural Therapist could help the addiction. (not counselling)

Dietician / NHS Health Trainers

Hypnotherapy - some charlatans / questionable training - ask around

As above don't buy them, doesn't sort the core problem out

Get a dog take it for walks and feed it your biscuits...

dennisboothstash likes this.
  5. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

You in your 30’s now Bob?
    Young kids? don’t go out as much not as active?
    yep that’s when ya pile it on

will power son

6. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Well done to both Simone Biles and Ben Stokes for showing the courage to step away.
    The pressure elite athletes are under nowadays to perform each time must be incredible. Additionally both have had horrible recent personal experiences, and then had to live in bio bubbles, away from family.
    Both appear to manage the very stressful day to day expectation of their role incredibly well. They learn to adapt to that pressure, albeit on the edge. However throw something else very personal in to that mix, then what was manageable. suddenly becomes overwhelmingly unmanageable.
    They are very different worlds, but does anyone else recognise any equivalent?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  7. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

My girlfriend works in community mental health as a social worker.

She says that in her experience adult mental health problems are caused by trauma in childhood nearly all the time.

Obviously what Simone Biles went through is horrific and to my girlfriend she said she be more concerned if she did not have any mental health problems.

8. brownbagtiger

brownbagtiger Well-Known Member

The example they set to say its ok to be not ok, even when you’re at the top, does more good than they’ll ever know.

Obviously would rather they weren’t having difficulty, and hope they’ll be left to do what they need to do to get where they want to be. For Simone Biles, I understand the Yips in a gymnast can result in some pretty horrific injuries if it strikes mid-movement, so she’s doubly right to step away.

Following up on what Askew said - none of us know what will turn out to be the proverbial straw that breaks you. But recognising the straw and the fact you need to mend is the first step on the right path.

askewshair, AlRawdah and Cortez91 like this.
  9. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

10. TheCasual

All our household has caught Covid and quite ill.

This is the worse I've ever felt in my life. I'm isolating until 9th.

11. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Take care, Cas.

Hope that things don't get any worse for you all.

12. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Take care mate

Are you jabbed? I know a few people who have it who are double jabbed, but while they do feel really crap it hasn't developed into anything needing hospitalisation. Fingers crossed

Ric Glasgow likes this.
  13. Ric Glasgow

Sending my thoughts and best wishes..

14. TheCasual

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

I'm 33 with no underlying health issues and doubled jabbed.

The mental health side of it really strange. I have this brain fog which makes it really difficult to settle, focus or work things out.

15. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

The brain fog is a common symptom for long covid too.

Ron Burguvdy likes this.
  16. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

Take it easy when you feel 'better' as a couple of people I know have returned back too quick to work and ended up going back off again. This takes longer to recover for some.

17. TheCasual

Recovery seems a long way off.

I work for awful company who constantly under staff. So no doubt they'll pressure to come back when my isolation ends.

Ron Burguvdy likes this.
  18. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Little tip
    If they ring you and pressure you make sure you record the phone call

19. Ric Glasgow

It's very easy for me to say but your health is the most important thing not the awful company you work for!!

I work for a similar type company and they try this type of thing on a regular basis with most of my colleagues(I haven't had this kind of thing personally but I'm a cheeky big so and so with employers if they fail to act in the right way).Chazz is correct,you need to log all these things(keep notes at the very least,dates,times,individuals involved etc).

If you are still unwell on completion of your isolation then speak to your G.P and explain the situation and the pressure you are under with your employers,get a fit note and inform your company that you are still unwell and will return to work when ready.Obviously money concerns etc can make these decisions extremely difficult for some but ultimately it's your well-being we are discussing here,not your companies unscrupulous behaviour and staffing levels.

If you're ever put in a corner and don't know what to do,try ACAS or a union rep(if you have one) or get it out on here and someone will have some practical advice that will help...

In the meantime,take one day at a time,get well soon and keep looking for alternative employment as your current company don't deserve you.

20. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Cas - I do not know who you work for but your company may have an HR department that can recommend you speak to a counsellor. Your company should have a Covid Risk Assessment in place which should cover Mental Health issues. (I work in H&S and this is something I have done for my company). Your company might also have a Stress Policy , Back to Work Policy (My boss wants everyone back by October -however just speaking to colleagues there are concerns about returning as they have proved they can carry out their role remotely. Mental Health issues are / should be taken very seriously - I used to work in a college and can remember speaking to the school nurse about a pupil who had injured themselves and I had to report this. She went on to tell me that there was a time when a pupil disappeared on to be found. No one had noticed changes in their behaviour but it was someone that stressed over their college results. If you need any H&S advice with your employer please send me a message.