1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Mental Health Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Steven Toast, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I suppose I've always worked in companies where it was possible to discuss such things, I understand a lot of people just get what they get.
    The reason I think it might become an issue now is because pre-pandemic people had a choice, they accepted what was on offer or they didn't. Now these different working conditions have been more or less forced on people, they've had no choice. One day they're told to work from home, they decide they like it and they like not spending money on commuting, next day they're told to get back to the office when some of their colleagues are able to stay at home reaping the benefits (as they might see it). That's where the disgruntlement might come from imo.
    The issue has been kicking around for a year or so, one of the tech companies in the US raised it, and Google have raised it since. Raising the issue might be right, wrong or misguided but I don't see it as corrupt or as diverting attention from elsewhere.

Incidentally I was with an ex-colleague yesterday who is now required to go back to the office. He negotiated to get his petrol costs paid for. Yes I'm talking about middle income earners now, many of whom don't just get what they get, but there are a lot of them and if pissed off could cause ripples.

2. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Not saying you raising it is to hide corruption.
    Govt ministers raising it I’m less convinced about their reasoning though.
    To be honest I don’t have any sympathy with anyone who gets angsty about someone else being able to work from home though.
    No one anywhere is being asked to travel more than before so anyone that has an issue with someone being better off than they used to be when it’s not causing that person to be worse off than they used to be is simply selfish. Sod em

3. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I agree it's selfish, but it could cause unrest, which is bad, so it might need to be dealt with.

If it happens in the US it's guaranteed to generate lawsuits, and what happens there invariably finds it's way over here.

4. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

If we don't like it, well I hate to say it but "You know where the door is".

It's an awful fact of the the workplace, but it is an undesputable fact.

It is life.

5. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Though there's obviously nothing wrong with it, I'm not sure a debate on home working is really what this thread is for.

6. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

Just to add a final thought on homeworking - and it's direct link to mental health and wellbeing, I did some research last year with an industry body I'm involved in, and polling c100 different people involved in 'professional services' type work we looked at the impact on people's wellbeing against 4 factors (Social, financial, emotional & job satisfaction wellbeing) and across the board we saw massive increases in people's wellbeing against all but social wellbeing (which was a small increase). Any company that is not prepared to embrace people's desire to increase their homeworking, be it 1, 2. 3, 4 or 5 days a week as standard will risk impacting their people's mental health and wellbeing, and in a number of industries will risk losing their people, I can't remember which CEO it was, but there was a FTSE 250 CEO who had tweeted that they hope their competitors make their people go back into the office so they can poach all their best staff.

dennisboothstash and Ninj like this.
  7. brownbagtiger

brownbagtiger Well-Known Member

Passed an ongoing incident this evening on the Humber Bridge. My heart goes out to all involved, and hopefully it was resolved safely.

just a reminder though to say to anyone feeling that low - please tell someone. Lots of links on the first post of this thread.

dennisboothstash and Ninj like this.
  8. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

9. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

something which might be of interest: IS0 45003. I recently took this seminar. It does mention about your employers responsibilities to mental health.
    On another note I hope that the issues going on on the Humber Bridge were resolved with no loss of life.

askewshair likes this.
  10. brownbagtiger

brownbagtiger Well-Known Member

I believe Sunday night's incident was - Hull Daily Mail quoted Humberside Police as saying resolved safely.

I didn't say any more on Sunday because it was not about me, but I must admit it affected me more than I like to admit. It must have been dreadful for anyone passing who has had love ones lost in such a manner. I am surprised the road was kept open, or at least the response vehicles weren't parked on the inside lane to block the view and protect the privacy of the person involved.

dennisboothstash and askewshair like this.

11. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting me know. I have lost a friend many years ago and there were times when I wish I could have seen. Hopefully the person will get the help they need. the last 18 months have been pretty crap for everyone.
    Stay safe and take care

12. lammytv200

lammytv200 Well-Known Member

Update on my cancer i finished chemo last week and Castle hill rang after a ct scan to tell me i'm cancer free and can have my life back.

13. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Brilliant news....Well done you<applause>

lammytv200 likes this.
  14. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0165-muscl<diva><cheers>

<party>

lammytv200 likes this.
  15. Cambstiger

Cambstiger Well-Known Member

Congratulations