1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Mental Health Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Steven Toast, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

Or you could do a 'to done list' and see what you've actually done, which I thought I'd invented...

... until I was told some 'Instagram Woman = Mrs Hinch' had got there first...

dennisboothstash and askewshair like this.
  2. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

It's a small world!! One of the lads in work recommended this to me on Thursday!!

3. x

x Well-Known Member

this may seem like an odd place to put a link to a song from youtube, but i only just found out about this one.

it was written by siouxsie sue of siouxsie and the banshees fame about the suicide of her friend, associates vocalist billy mackenzie. he had taken his own life in january 1997 at the age of 39 after suffering with depression.

it was recorded by siouxsie sue's part-time band the creatures and reached 72 in the singles chart.

it's called say.

YOU ONLY HAD TO SAY.

people are getting better at understanding. talk to someone.

lammytv200 likes this.
  4. Ron Burguvdy

5. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Ron Burguvdy likes this.
  6. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Kinnel, we must all be happy as ****, a month without a post.

Just remember, if you're not...

...this thread is always here.

7. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

8. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

How to look after your mental health without spending a fortune
    please log in to view this image

Many people have seen their mental health suffer as a result of the coronavirus pandemic and the cost of living crisis.

However, accessing help may be difficult, with often long waiting times, and paying for support is out of reach for many people.

In the UK more than 8 million people are experiencing an anxiety disorder at any one time. Meanwhile, research by the Health and Safety Executive found that, of the people suffering from a work-related illness in Britain, more than 800,000 were reporting signs of work-related stress, depression or anxiety.

A group of ramblers in Wales. A walk in the countryside has many benefits. Photograph: Realimage/Alamy
    Dr Zoe Watson, a GP who runs Wellgood Wellbeing, a social enterprise health platform, believes good mental wellbeing comes down to three basic elements: looking after and connecting to your body, connecting to other humans, and connecting to the world around you, such as nature.

Take some gentle exercise
    Exercise can help clear your thoughts and make you feel more tired at the end of the day, so you should sleep better.

Rosaria Barreto is the founder of Vitality Hub, which works with older people with a variety of health conditions. She says: “Stimulating your eyes and brain while surrounding yourself with nature’s beauty immediately boosts your mood. Breathing in fresh air can also boost your mood, reduce anxiety and worry. The social element to walking has a significant impact on loneliness and can encourage and promote stronger feelings of self-purpose and self-value.”

Check your council’s website or search for “wellness walks” or “wellbeing walks” for groups to join near you.

Take exercise a little further
    If you are a little more adventurous, Watson suggests wild swimming.

Wild swimming in the North Sea at Portobello beach, Edinburgh, for International Women’s Day.Photograph: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images
    “It’s bonkers, life-affirming, joyous and freeing. It shocks you into being aware of your body, and you meet other people who are similarly bonkers along the way. The best bit: it’s no longer only a playground for steely abbed triathletes or hardcore cold-water swimmers. Many are middle-aged, wobbly thighed, potty-mouthed women like me!”

Check out groups such as the Bluetits Chill Swimmers.

Go out of your comfort zone
    Nicki Bass, a resilience and leadership coach, runs Resilience at Work. She says: “Resilience is the ability to come back from and grow as a result of challenge and adversity. It’s about managing difficult experiences, learning from them and ultimately being able to thrive.”

This might be through activities such as surfing but it can also be via everyday adventures – things as simple as standing barefoot in a stream or taking a new dog-walking route. “The cumulative effect can be as powerful in building resilience and confidence as the bigger ‘life-changing ones’”.

Check out free NHS guides
    There are numerous free resources on the NHS website.

These range from information on calming breathing exercises for dealing with stress, anxiety and panic, to guides offering help with getting to sleep and sleeping better.

Learn new skills
    Learning new skills could be a hobby, or something you can do as a side hustle. For example, you could take a free trial of Skillshare and choose from thousands of hands-on online courses. This will help boost your self-confidence and sense of purpose while allowing you to connect with other people.

A volunteer works on a 1/100th scale replica of a building that has been created for the new ‘model of a model’ within Wimborne Model Town in Dorset.Photograph: Andrew Matthews/PA
    Volunteer
    Watson says: “Sometimes the best thing to do when we’re struggling is actually to look outwards instead of inwards. It can reset our brains, help us realise all the things we have to be grateful for.”

Volunteering has numerous benefits for health and wellbeing. Creating and sustaining social bonds is essential in tackling loneliness and depression.

Explore options that you would enjoy and can contribute to with skills or time. If you have children, see if their school would like volunteers for reading, or join the PTA (parent-teacher association).

Visit your local volunteer centre or log on to a site such as Do IT, which is a database of UK volunteering opportunities. You can search more than a million volunteering opportunities by interest, activity or location, then apply online.

Sing and dance like no one is listening or watching
    Paying attention to the moment and being more aware of your body and thoughts is often referred to as mindfulness. Singing and dancing allow you to turn off your stream of consciousness and live in the moment. Sing and dance along to the radio, when cooking or cleaning. Sing in the car or shower, or join a group.

Keep talking
    The psychologist Dr Tara Quinn-Cirillo says: “There is a huge evidence base for the psychological benefits of talking, including reduced stress, elevated mood, reduced anxiety and more effective problem solving.”

She and Shirley Blanch founded the Conversation Starter Project, running free sessions where participants benefit psychologically from talking and walking with others.

Similar ways to connect with others can be found via local council wellbeing hubs.

Write a journal
    This can take many forms, from simply writing thoughts down in a diary to a more structured approach such as picking apart a particular challenge you are facing. You can do it on your phone, PC or in a notebook.

Have you considered writing down your thoughts?Photograph: Viktor Pravdica/Alamy
    Ranting also has a place: Watson suggests “let it out” journalling to explore difficult emotions rather than pushing them down, and being grateful for ordinary things, even the negative ones. Those feelings need to be acknowledged and accepted, too.

Take some ‘me time’
    Finding “me time” can be easier said than done. Clare Flaxen is a psychotherapist and advises making a conscious choice to laugh every day and stay playful and curious.

“Spend time with people who support and inspire you. Identify the things in your life that make you feel happy and content – eg a nice cuppa and a biscuit with a friend – and actively choose to bring them into your days.”

Do something you enjoy at any time, even while doing the chores. Sarah Birchallsays: “Eating dark chocolate daily brings me happiness, and listening to comedy podcasts, too.”

Wellbeing is an individual phenomenon, so what works for one person won’t for someone else. Try to find what you enjoy and helps you to feel well.

9. Tigerglenn

Tigerglenn Well-Known Member

My mental health took a nose dive this year ,everything seemed ok going through Christmas than the new year is on us and I hit a wall. At first it was so hard to comprehend what was happening to me with panic attacks ,claustrophobia and serious anxiety issues.
    My docs prescribed pain killers for a hip problem and these made me worse I worked out it was these which were contributing to the problem.
    my doctors were worse than usual and of no help
    We had a holiday to the far east booked for February which I would not have been able to cope with so that was cancelled ,with my insurance company not accepting the mental health issues as a cause of cancellation.
    My approach to getting better was very holistic
    I approached a therapist who I meet every week which has helped me open up about issues I had put to the back of my mind .I go see a physio every week to work on my lower back pain again a big help . I have also been doing yoga which I was very suspect of but have found that most helpful .
    I suppose what I am trying to say is No matter how low you feel at the time things will get better it’s just staying positive and working through the issues .Last January I was at my very lowest ebb I am now writing this sat on a plane at Palma airport
    After a great week In Mallorca and a trip to Estepona planned for the week after next .Stay Positive

10. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Great post. Glad things are working out for you.

The darkest hour is just before dawn.

FER ARK likes this.

11. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Great to hear you’re in a better place.
    Hope the next trip is a great one too

FER ARK likes this.
  12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

New campaign in collaboration with charity Shout encourages fans to talk about mental health

All Premier League fixtures from 6 to 15 May will be dedicated to the "Inside Matters" campaign, which reinforces the League and clubs' commitment to supporting the mental wellbeing of players, fans and those in communities.

The campaign encourages supporters to keep up the conversation on mental health by talking and listening to others. This comes ahead of Mental Health Awareness Week, which this year has the theme of anxiety.

In 2020, the Premier League signed up to the "Mentally Healthy Football Declaration", committing to make mental health a key priority at all levels of the game.

Through the Declaration, the League and other football bodies are working to create a mentally healthy culture across the game by supporting those involved with raising awareness, training and education to embed mental health within existing policies and practices and drive progress in this area.

As part of the Inside Matters campaign, the Premier League has collaborated with Shout, a free, confidential 24/7 text support service for anyone in the UK who is struggling to cope. The service was launched in 2019 and has since helped hundreds of thousands of people.

The Premier League and Shout have collaborated to offer support to Premier League fans in the UK. Anyone experiencing anxiety can text the word "TeamTalk" to 85258 to be connected with around-the-clock support from trained volunteers, supervised and supported in real time by an expert clinical team.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3254355

13. Melbournetiger

Melbournetiger Well-Known Member

I have posted before about being a psychiatric nurse, trained at DeL la Pole in 81 , and I still find the job rewarding, although should retire soon as I am 70 in August!
    Despite all this background I was a bit down earlier this year, I had mitral valve repair as it was leaking, I am okay now but I had plenty of sick leave so was able to take time off and fully recover
    But the other thing that gets me by is by trying to practise Stoicism,
    One of the problems in myself saying this,is that the word stoic is misinterpreted. Without going on and on about I suggest anyone look it up. it is not an elitist intellectual belief, just plain common sense. a famous Stoic was Marcus Aurelius,Roman Emperor,who wrote Meditations.this was his personal journal.
    Mental health is not so stigmatised as it was but still a way to go., but still open up to someone .
    Take care

14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Today is the start of Mental Health Awareness Week.

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/exp...xiety-theme-mental-health-awareness-week-2023

upload_2023-5-15_9-4-11.png

Help is at hand. There are things that we can all do to protect our mental health and manage anxiety.

What works will be different from person to person. Things that might be helpful include being active, getting out in nature, practising breathing techniques, getting support to tackle money worries or eating well. Talking to a friend, or spending time with loved ones, is often a good first step.

We’ve looked at the evidence for what works to manage anxiety and brought together our top recommendations.

Taking action to address specific causes of anxiety can also help – for example, contacting a money advisor, discussing workplace stress with your employer, or seeking support if you are experiencing bullying, harassment or discrimination.

If anxiety is severely affecting your everyday life, you should contact your GP who can offer additional support and help. No one should struggle alone.

What can be done to limit the causes of anxiety?
    Anxiety isn’t just something we can overcome on our own. So much of what may trigger anxiety is not within our control. This is why, during Mental Health Awareness Week, we’ll also be talking to politicians and decision-makers about what can be done as a nation to support good mental health.

While causes of anxiety are complex, financial worries, social isolation, social pressures and discrimination can all play a part. And because of this, local and national politicians should be looking at measures such as income support to reduce financial stress, provision of good quality housing, strong legislation to prevent bullying, harassment and discrimination, and ensuring communities are equipped with the services and facilities we need to live well and help protect everyone’s mental health.

15. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

This thread isn't a bad place to start Dutch :emoticon-0148-yes:

16. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Sands United FC Hull & East Riding

Hull and East Yorkshire Sands (Still born or neonatal death) is a volunteer led Group that works to promote Sands’ vision in our area. Supporting anyone affected by the death of a baby, working to improve the care bereaved parents receive, and promoting research and working closely with many different organisations to reduce the loss of babies’ lives.

We provide direct peer support to bereaved parents, we work with local healthcare professionals to promote their access to Sands’ materials and training and we raise awareness about stillbirth and neo-natal death to help break the silence about this tragedy.

Sands United Hull & East Yorkshire was founded in July 2019 and has steadily grown from only a small handful of men to now supporting over 50 people!

Each and every player and family member have their own story to tell. Sands United FC Hull & East Yorkshire gives men somewhere to go when they are in need of support. Much like all Sands United teams up and down the country, there was reasoning behind its formation.

To some...it seems just like another football club, but to many, it’s a lifeline. A much needed shoulder to lean on in times of need.

Sands United FC Hull & East Yorkshire has brought together a group of men from the local area who are no longer strangers, but are now a fantastic group friends. Friends who despite going through one of the most painful experiences in their lives, they harness that experience to provide positive support to others.

Sands United FC is there for any man who needs the support after experiencing baby loss. To find out more about the team and training session head to our events page or get in touch via email or contact us on any of our social media platforms using Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

The football support sessions take place each Wednesday 8-9pm at Hull University Sports Centre

https://hull.sands.org.uk/sands-united-fc-hull-east-riding

17. richsmith

richsmith Member

Hi all

Thank you for adding the information DMD

Thought I would also add my personal information from the other thread

I play for a local football team called Sands United FC Hull and East Yorkshire, the players are Dads, Uncles, Brothers and those connected people who have suffered from baby loss,
    Sands (Still born or neonatal death) United aims to offer support for men using football as the tool to get people together and talk as much or as little about their loss

Raising awareness of baby loss and the affects on men and families

Also raising money to support sands nationally who then distribute money across the hospitals across the UK aswell as investing in research and equipment to reduce loss

The team offers a support session each week, plays charity matches and tournaments along with taking part in social events and trying alternative sporting activities,

There are around 40 clubs across the UK,

Players have the chance to represent and remember their angels, keeping their names and memories alive along with supporting each other

We are currently looking at getting a new home and away kit along with hosting a baby loss tournament in August with 8 teams being invited locally and nationally

if anyone has suffered a loss and needs support or to talk to people who have an understanding please private message me and i can give you more details, Both recent and historical, every players story/loss is different, special and important. My son would have been 18 later this year

we have players of very mixed ability and fitness, our youngest player is 16 and oldest is almost 50, I myself didn't start playing until I was 41, that was 3 years ago

To contact the club the best email address is [email protected]

Thank you

18. Ron Burguvdy

19. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

20. Rigsby

Rigsby Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I don't post very often but feel compelled to add to this thread.

I recently endured a hellish journey that took me to a place that I didn't realise existed. I believed I was done for and that there was no escape. It was literally like being trapped in a submersible 4000m below sea and waiting for the inevitable.

My mind was consumed with nothing but negative thoughts and emotion, and I became a shell of a man barely able to function.

I got some wonderful support from loved ones, but everything they tried to say and do for me was a waste of time as far as I was concerned - I was a lost cause.

I went to see my doctor in November last year and I was put on medication. I also received counselling once a week although had to wait some time for that to begin. I'm still on my meds and still got a few weeks left of counselling.

I've come through it, I feel like a reborn man. I have hope and aspirations. I know I have some issues that need resolving but now feel strong enough to do my utmost to deal with them and sort things out.

If you are feeling lost, hopeless, or are in despair and struggling with your life, please seek help, and talk to your loved ones..Everyone you know will want to help you.

If you want to DM me I am happy to share my experience further and will try help in any way I can.

Please try stay strong and positive and dawn will arrive.

ristac, askewshair, Help! and 12 others like this.