1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Mental Health

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Staines R's, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Is it just me or is anyone else really suffering with their MH during these strange times ? I’ve never been the most stable of people mentally and always had “anger issues”, but I’m feeling that I’m beginning to get to a place I don’t want to be.
    I’ve had a couple of jobs at work this week that have really got to me emotionally, feel completely drained and can feel the demons inside appearing again. My family notice it with my mood swings and I just feel I can’t open up to them about how I’m feeling as it just comes out in anger and spite.
    Went for a long run this morning, hoping it would help but ended up nearly scrapping with a cyclist on the pavement who nearly went into me (still the run went well), feel too wound up to do meditation or relaxation exercises and the boxing gym is closed so I can’t get rid of my anger that way.
    Anyone got any suggestions ? I’m struggling :(

QPR999 likes this.
  2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Sounds like you need an outlet without the gym and with an addictive personality you’d stick to weight training I’m sure once you got going. Get some cheap dumbbells or even with no equipment at all I can share some circuits I’ve got with YouTube links.

Personally hate running but do like walking with a weighted vest or heavy backpack. Better on the joints too and far less stressful.

And of course call someone a **** on the politics thread if you run out of other options.

3. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Not much I can say to help Stainesy, but have you tried counselling?

Staines R's likes this.
  4. Staines R's

Yes mate done the counselling. And did an online course of CBT last year. Thought it was helping at first but not so sure now.
    Hopefully it’s just a blip I’m going through and once things are ‘open’ again, then things might improve......fingers crossed anyway.

kiwiqpr and sb_73 like this.
  5. Staines R's

I would never call someone a **** in the politics thread it just isn’t my way ;)

sb_73 likes this.
  6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Can’t offer anything concrete mate, but I assume the ambulance service must see a lot of stress and anxiety issues (I’m assuming something sits behind the aggression), do they have an in house/ referral service?

And if the cyclist was on the pavement you were well within your rights.

Staines R's likes this.
  7. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago I was referred to a mindfulness course by the pain clinic at The John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford. It was essentially about pain management but also helped to relieve stress, which contributes greatly to chronic pain.
    I've found that the meditation and coping mechanisms they taught me have really helped in reducing stress etc.
    However, I've really struggled over the past couple of months or so and I also struggle to get the meditation going and find myself very irritable at times.
    I'm sure it's mainly to do with this **** situation we're all in which I have had completely enough of.
    Persevere with all the coping techniques mate, as they really help.

8. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

I can understand how tough it must be Stainsey. I was only thinking today how much more difficult lockdown 3.0 has been and wondered if the open-endedness of it was what was making it more difficult.
    The constant wearing down by the media doesn’t help, with every little thing taken to the extreme becoming nauseating tbh. It’s tough enough working out whether this year will improve (personally for people and from a business perspective) with the reporting, even good news seems to have a negative spin. I like to be an upbeat person, glass half full and all that, but it does feel like it’s sneaking up on you day by day this last month or so.

You must certainly be in many a stressful situation that I can’t begin to comprehend how to deal with, as well as dealing with personal feelings as well. Try and keep up some exercise and any support that you can mate. We’re all rooting for you.

9. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Yoga and meditation may be worth looking at. Keep caffeine low.

Staines R's likes this.
  10. Staines R's

Yeah they do actually and I was thinking about them earlier.....might give them a call and have a chat. Cheers mate.
    The cyclist was definitely in the wrong......but I guess I probably overreacted by threatening to put an axe through his head....but where I was gonna find an axe at that time of day I still don’t know :(

11. rangercol

Yeah, caffeine has good and bad effects.
    Unfortunately, I can't do without our lovely big jug of fresh coffee every morning, so I concentrate on the good effects.

Didley Squat and Goldhawk-Road like this.
  12. rangercol

I tend to turn the news off and news programmes like breakfast TV.
    I find them so depressing and all they do is put a downer on everything.

13. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Coffee is generally good for you, but high doses of caffeine can make one hyper

14. rangercol

Indeed.
    Rarely have more than 3 mugs a day.
    Love our coffee machine!

Goldhawk-Road likes this.
  15. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

It might sound a bit nuts, but we've just started using an acupuncture mat of an evening...

51TFheqOXjL._AC_SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B805XHQ/?tag=not606-21

30 minutes laid down on this an evening on this (it's a killer at the start), headphones on with some chilled out music and we feel in a pretty good place. I'm pretty mellow most of the time, but have found this lockdown a bit more stressful, even though I get out to work - think it's more down to the weather and dark nights. I also steer well away from any form of news on the TV, and have done since the beginning of lockdown 1 - it helps reduce the negativeness in your life not having to listen to them drone on.

You know where I am if you need to chat fella :emoticon-0148-yes:

16. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Lockdown #3 is the worse.
    It's not novel, it's not warm you can't go outside...and it seemed both avoidable but still inevitable...not a good combination.

Exercise to release the endorphins..

.some release, come on here and call me a p**** or whatever you want Stainsey

Long walks away from civilization and people, help me.

Don't be afraid to cry...it is allowed.

But talk to your work...and ask them.for help, please. You and other people in the NHS are going through hell

But if you want some one to shout at or cry at..pm me Stainsey and you can shout, cry, complain or simply moan at me

Staines R's and Didley Squat like this.
  17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

With the kind of stuff you see on a regular basis could you be suffering from PTSD, manifesting in aggressive behaviour?

18. Staines R's

Thanks mate....our chats are always appreciated

19. Staines R's

I don’t think so.....but possibly. But then again isn’t it all just a label ? I’ve struggled for 30 years with my MH so it’s not a new thing to be honest. Possibly due to the excesses of years ago....chemical inbalance and all that.
    Really don’t know mate

rangercol and sb_73 like this.
  20. Staines R's

At least The Masked Singer might lighten my mood

rangercol and Steelmonkey like this.