1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Monk sacked by Wednesday

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Jiffie, Nov 9, 2020.

1. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

no point offering a reply … the methodology of the FOOTBALL club has long been advertised ….

2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Where have I said that I missed him? you've made that bit up mate!! and improvements would need for us to end up in the playoffs.....so far, we've had our moments and think DH is doing a decent job.....but it's usually after Christmas we have dropped off in previous years, lets see where it takes us..

3. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Not true, LJ did exactly that for City and was derided from Day 1 to his last day by so many. Pulis is quite frankly a $hite manager, for me the worst we have had in my time as a City fan. Maybe the Sheff Weds board think he will bore teams to death, which he will, and their fans. It’s shocking to dismiss Monk after what he has done already this season, I hope they get relegated now.

4. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

It is strange how people see things differently, of course there were people who never accepted him from day one, that happens at every club, but I always felt that he had the vast majority of our support on his side and did up until this year.

Last season I remember in October the night match against Charlton and Brownhill scoring the winner in the 97th minute, the atmosphere was electric, I remember going to the pub after the game with my mates and saying "do you know what?, I think this could be our season", we never played particularly well but we fought hard the whole game and I like to see my team fight. My wife and I were staying at Avon Gorge hotel and had been out for a meal with our daughter and when I got back to the hotel, she said "how did they get on, as we arrived back from the restaurant we heard an incredible crowd roar" and bear in mind this win came after an embarrassing 3-0 defeat at Luton.

I think the feel good factor carried on into the middle of December, but from that moment on apart from the odd win, performances became worse and worse and worst of all we were barely creating a chance, it was almost unwatchable at times and the fight had gone.

The problem was it was the 3rd year of same old, same old and the self same excuses were being trotted out.

Pulis was dire for us, it was rank stupid appointment that was never going to work, you think LJ had it tough (which I don't) but boy Pulis never stood a chance from day one.

You can call him a ****e manager but he has promotions and not only got Stoke promoted to the premiership kept them there for 7 years, got to an FA cup final and the Europa league. He saved Palace when they looked doomed.

I don't like his style of football and as we know neither did City fans, but criticise him, Warnock and Hughton but they seem to have the knack to get teams into the premiership, of course there are bound to be failures along the way.

5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I think they chose Pulis because he has a promotion to the Prem on his CV and kept Stoke in the Prem for years.
    LJ kept us in the Championship - but he hasn’t got a promotion to the Prem on his CV. More of a gamble tbh.

6. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

SL's backing kept City in the Championship.
    How many signings????
    Any owner out there knows that and very few, if any, will let Junior back in that sweet shop.

7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

More time, more money, more players, more back up staff, more facilities, more gizmos than any other, it's unbelievable when you weigh it all up.

8. realred1952

Always good to give more time, providing that time is with a squad that does not have the keystones removed.
    More players ...the balance was replacements, we are buying players to resell in the future, and plan was to increase the quality of "stock"......
    More back up staff... how many have been shown the door since Lee left?
    More facilities were on the cards, part of the ongoing upgrades, part of the overall plan
    more gizmos ... a few thousand pounds on the odd drone or two [most teams seem to use them nowadays, modern ones can be left flying stationary for ages]..
    On a lot of occasions MA et al were responsible for incoming players ....why have a scouting network looking for talent when you do not bother to take advantage of the odd player that fits the bill ... buy develop sell?

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  9. Supcon72

Realred, you cannot make the blind see. Redprintt will harp on about how much money LJ was given, yet never concedes how much LJ brought into the club, probably £50m more than any other manager in our history....

10. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I thought it was Ashton?

11. realred1952

You cant have it both ways. :emoticon-0145-shake

12. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I am not the one wanting it both ways for instance:-

When signings are crap - it was Ashton.
    When signings are great - it was LJ.

When we lose money on players - it was Ashton.
    When we make money - it was LJ.

When we lose to teams higher than us - they are biggger better teams (usually recently in the prem).
    When we lose to teams in the relegation places - anybody can beat anybody in this league.

You pointing the finger at the wrong person.

13. Supcon72

Nobody pointed the finger at you Jiffie. Some people on here blamed LJ for all the spending, but never gave him credit for the sales - that's who can't have it both ways. I think it was mainly Ashton, with input fromLJ doing the deals to be honest, as he is on record saying that's his primary role. I assume this will continue with DH when we are in a more certain financial world.
    I think LJ and Ashton take the plaudits and blame equally, I always have.

14. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

But those that hated him reverses the above.........................I'm amazed that even though he left months ago, he's still in the front line for criticism ffs..

I recon RP misses him :emoticon-0152-heart<laugh>

Redprintt and Supcon72 like this.
  15. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I am not and never have seen it 'both ways', it is what it is and always will be.

My problem is it has been used as an excuse from fans both sides of the fence, I also have a problem with signings such as Tomlin and especially Palmer because I feel that there is a definite discrepancy with who and why.

16. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Which is exactly my point.

17. realred1952

not pointing a finger that is rude ... it is an open statement, you cant have it both ways..... that's plain and simple.

however its nice to see you quote one, just one, of my comments in your list, which is in actual fact close to being factual. That is lost to ex prem teams, [ recent results being v Norwich and AFC Bournemouth] in the past have also stated, also factual, any team can beat any team [not rocket science ]. That statement though is not relative necessarily to teams in relegation places, probably bottom 6 or 8 would be more accurate assumption, and not just pertinent to Bristol City of course.

ps sometimes a feeling of guilt is addressed by an aggressive defence, directing blame or throwing out a smokescreen. A feeling that a comment or an action is being aimed at them personally is often incorrect. By reading the comment, but most of all understanding it can sometimes avert personal anguish on oneself. :emoticon-0105-wink:

18. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Didn't somebody call you a pedant recently?

19. realred1952

see what I mean? result!
    OS said I was being pedantic, WHICH should you follow up read and digest it was covered in the answer which was presented to him. Quite some time ago OS and I exchanged comments on finance which we both have knowledge of and actually both of us look at the same problem from different sides/aspects/ methodology/ risk etc etc etc ..
    The problem with pedantic is it recognises purism, and I must admit, when it comes to doing things I am a bit of a perfectionist, always check facts where possible and never happy really with a item that is flawed!

20. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

oh **** off.