1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Morning all

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by bucks_is_leeds, Jun 8, 2015.

1. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

LEEDS United have been linked with an audacious bid to sign Inter Milan’s World Cup semi-finalist Alvaro Pereira, according to reports in Italy.

The 29-year-old won the 2011 Europa League with Porto and joined Inter for €10 million in August 2012 with Chelsea reportedly unsuccessful with a €20 million bid for his services in August 2011.

But reports in Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport suggest the versatile left-sided player is on the radar of Whites owner Massimo Cellino who was reportedly beaten to his signature in January.

The South American instead left Inter to join Estudiantes on loan but the Argentine side have decided against activating their option to buy him outright.

And reports in Italy suggest United have already tabled a bid for the South American who joined Inter after three years at Porto where he won the 2011 Europa League before joining Inter.

Turkish giants Galatasaray are also thought to be interested in the Uruguayan whose time at Inter appears to be over after two loan spells, at São Paulo and Estudiantes.

But Championship outfit Leeds face stiff competition if Galatasaray are interested given that the Turkish side have recently been crowned Super Lig champions, granting them qualification for the Champions League.

Pereira’s parent club Inter finished eighth in Serie A, meaning no European football next term.

Pereira has made some 66 appearances for his native country, highlighted by an appearance in the 2010 World Cup semi-final loss to the Netherlands in which he scored in injury time.

Four years later, Pereira faced England in the second Group game of the 2014 World Cup finals.

Leeds have also been linked with a move for 19-year-old rising star French forward Sehrou Guirassy. Guirassy, who is six-foot-two, has represented France at both Under-16 and Under-19 level and currently plays for Ligue 2 outfit Stade Laval.

Ligue 1 outfit St Etienne, home of former Leeds star Max Gradel, are also said to be interested in his services, Guirassy reportedly said in May: “First, I would like to rise up the ranks in France, joining a Ligue 1 club. After that, I would not close the door on going abroad.”

Leeds have been linked with a host of names this summer, notably QPR midfielder Joey Barton, and also Motherwell striker Lee Erwin who looks set to be one of new head coach Uwe Rosler’s first signings. Pescara’s Icelandic midfielder Birkir Bjarnason is another name strongly linked with a move to United who are also said to be interested in 33-year old Catania striker Emanuele Calaiò and Leicester defender Liam Moore.

Also, what a pile of **** the ROI vs England game was. ZZZZZZ

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Agree about the ROI match, what a waste of ......... Not too fussed about the usual who's coming in charade until I see someone actually sign on the dotted. We are going to get rumours of big signings, unknown signings, kids with huge potential signing, old warhorse steady away slow bastards wanting one last pay day. All I can see so far is Pearson a few weeks ago saying it would all happen fast now, well no it won't and it'll be slow as we go as normal

ristac and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning Bucks, Doc and everyone else who follows in...

Out of everyone being linked the Erwin one seems to be the only one likely of happening shortly once he returns from holiday. It looks like most players are understandably taking their holidays now.... It was 11 days ago that Cellino ripped up a contract offer to Steve Head because he wanted to take a holiday and I remember a few complaints saying it was a bad time to take one??

Have we a new head of recruitment in place or are all these players being linked the work of Cellino?

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  4. bucks_is_leeds

Forum Moderator

Agree Doc, looks like we have some pre season games lined up which is better than last year where we almost wasted the entire pre season due to CEllinos ego and then ended up playing pub teams in italy and cooling off in rivers FFS! When does the transfer window actually open?

Where is El? I dont pay him to be queuing for Coffee <grr>

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

El had a call from a potential punter and he saw a chance to pick up £3.50 in bonuses so off he waddled.

RCDM likes this.
  6. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

Morning All

Another week, another raft of player being linked with us. At least we don't have check Wiki to see who these player are.

I didn't even realize there had been a friendly on yesterday until I checked the BBC Sports Website. To be honest if it was as bad people said it was I'm glad I didn't watch it

7. bucks_is_leeds

Forum Moderator

Wolves a lot of my mates missed it as well. To be honest, it wasnt heavily billed. I think ITV knew it was going to be terrible as well!

8. bucks_is_leeds

Forum Moderator

Adkins seems keen on Sharp? Would you sell? I'm right on the fence with this one, I suppose it boils down to if he fits in a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 or or what ever Roslers got planned for his plan A and plan B formations.

NEW SHEFFIELD United manager Nigel Adkins has coolled talk of a potential move for Leeds United forward Billy Sharp.

Ex-Blades striker Sharp, who had a frustrating campaign at Elland Road last term, worked successfully with Adkins during his spell in charge of Scunthorpe United, hitting 30 goals during their promotion to the Championship in 2006-07.

Adkins also signed him for a seven-figure fee while in charge at Southampton in January 2012, purchasing the frontman from Doncaster Rovers.

Reports have suggested that Adkins could table a bid for the 29-year-old in a bid to bring him back to Sheffield and link up again with him, but the Blades chief has played down talk of a bid.

Adkins said: “Sharpy is a Leeds United player at this point in time, simple as that.

“We’ve always known him; we had him at Scunthorpe and sold him to United, then we took him to Southampton with us and brought him in on loan at Reading, too.

“But we’ve got to first get in there when the players come back, assess the personnel we already have at our disposal and then go from there.”

“We also have to work under the restraints of the club.”

Sharp joined Leeds from Southampton for an undisclosed fee last August and hit five goals last term

9. RCDM

RCDM Well-Known Member

I love how rumours start with "Leeds are linked with..." then you read through the story and look to see who they are, and at the end it says something along the lines of "oh and by the way Barcelona are also interested". Cool, we've ovbviously got a massive chance of signing them then...

I just hope its not going to be a "well we went for them, and them, and them but just missed out".... so we've ended up with Lee Trundle and Billy Paynter!

Whitejock and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I too am on the fence regarding Sharp, we have to be realistic about who we can and will sign. I do think he is better than Antenucci and Doukara, I don't think he is good enough to net 20 goals but I don't see us spending the money required to bring in much better and the possible signing or Erwin doesn't excite me in the slightest.

I read today that Celtic want £3m for Leigh Griffiths, I think that is too much to pay for a gamble, I would rather keep Sharp and put some of that money towards Barton's wages, that's me though, Cellinos answer will probably be find someone else cheaper and on loan.

bucks_is_leeds likes this.

11. LeedsinYork

LeedsinYork Well-Known Member

Pearson actually said appointments would happen quickly and people should be patient regarding transfers

12. LeedsinYork

LeedsinYork Well-Known Member

If you think Sharp is better than Ant and Duke you obviously dont see many games, Duke needs a kick up the arse and a decent coach thats all, Ant looks dangerous most of his games.If Redfearn had played him more he would of had a few more goals. Sharp is never gonna cut it at Leeds, he's only good at poaching the odd goal. I hope Adkins takes him off our hands.

13. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

Sharp is poor imo let him go.

14. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cheers Bucks, early meeing, just got out....

Morning all...

15. ellandback

Forum Moderator

I aGREE. Was shocked that Glory said last week that Sharp weas our best striker

16. bucks_is_leeds

Forum Moderator

<ok> Morning El, should make the day go nice and quick for you now I would have thought. Good weekend?

17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Cheeky git. Morning btw

18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Lets face it folks we have had coaches that don't know how to use strikers for the last couple of seasons. Times this season we struggled to get three shots off at goal. We don't know how to service strikers, get the ball in to them, feed them and why we had the likes of Murphy/Mowatt scoring. Sharp has never been prolific but given chances he puts them away, Antonucci has always put a shift in and c play No9 but again never prolific and has always been used in a wider role everywhere he's played, so not sure what Rossler is going to do but suspect he knows how to use strikers as he was one. Sharp has a decent strike rate per chance when compared to Becchio/Beckford, and he would score more if he was a bit more mobile, but if he gets a chance he'll do damage

19. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

You should be more shocked that it is even up for discussion that he might be.

Lets rank them, Who have we got (alphabetically).

Antenucci
    Cani
    Doukara
    Morison
    Sharp

If sharp isn't top of that list he is certainly second... Or are you guys suggesting othrwise?

20. ellandback

Forum Moderator