1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mossey Joe snapped up by Barry Connell

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by SaveTheHumans, Jan 26, 2014.

1. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Mossey Joe has changed hands after Bloodstock agent Gerry Hogan purchased the 11 year old on Barry Connel's behalf for £160,000. He will leave former handler Declan McNamara and be trained by Enda Bolger, the master of the cross country chasers. He is most likely to be aimed straight at the Foxhunter Chase at Cheltenham after last been seen romping home in the Champions Hunters' chase at Stratford last June.

I love this horse and wish him all the best at his new yard and hopefully he can land another few big pots as he's running out of time at 11, mind you £160,000 does seem a good bit considering his age but he will surely be hard to beat wherever he turns up, if in the same form as his last few Hunters' Chase victories.

2. ROTO

ROTO Well-Known Member

So bloody happy he's been sold as I was really starting to worry that he would never race again because of the ownership dispute.

I honestly, honestly believe that Mossey only needs to stand up at Cheltenham to win the Foxhunters if fully fit (which is a definite concern as there is talk he hasn't been trained at all recently) and I lumped on the 10s NRFB with Betvictor after Connell announced his plans.

Off a mark of 148, I also think he'd have a right old chance in the Grand National if he jumps round.

Think its very interesting that he's been sent to Bolger who certainly knows how to train older horses and stayers and hopefully he can get the best out of Mossey.

Don't think there is a horse in training with as much ability as Mossey who has yet to win a big race of any nature in his career but hopefully he can set that right.

3. SaveTheHumans

I backed him ante post also for the Foxhunters at Cheltenham once I seen the news. I can't imagine them purchasing him for that price at 11 unless they are pretty confident of him picking up a few nice prizes, the fact Bolger has him is a huge positive for me, now they will have roughly 6 week to get him in tip top shape for the festival.

Do you think it's a likely possibility then after Cheltenham that he goes on to Aintree ROTO?

4. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

He's a bit of a machine against hunter chases for sure but his aggressive, free-going nature would be my slight concern at Cheltenham. Have to say that figure for an 11 year old is absolutely insane though.

5. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Hope he delivers on hia promise- he is a lovely chaser.

6. ROTO

ROTO Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm assuming so. My mother would know one of Barry Connell's best mates very well so I'll try get the low down soon enough - will get it before Cheltenham for sure but I'm assuming the response will be they think he'll win.

Will also make sure it is passed on to Barry to travel over to Cheltenham early with him as apparently he went to Statford 4 days before the race and lost a fair whack of weight in the travel. If he went over on the day and did that there would be no point in running him really!

7. SaveTheHumans

Cheers ROTO do keep us posted with any info, it's all appreciated. By the way, I read yesterday that now there not so sure whether Cheltenham is going to be possible as he had a slight setback and it was going to be monitored over the coming day's! Hope all turns out well there as it would be a shame for him to miss any possible targets now things have been resolved.

8. hawkeye

hawkeye Well-Known Member

Salsify is an unlikely runner now. Such a shame as have been on the last 2 years, and last year was absolutely immense how the race panned out. Would of been a great achievement to go for a third. Good luck all you Mossey Joe backers. Hope he makes if for you. I shall wait until the day of the race now as i think he is quite short now.