1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

MOTD

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by mackemwelder, May 18, 2016.

1. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Are these ****s taking the piss or what? we normally get 30 seconds towards the end of the show FFS.

.....................................................................................................................................................................

Sunderland in the top three of MOTD screening league
    please log in to view this image

Sunderland's Lamine Kone celebrates scoring his side's third goal of the game with teammates during the Barclays Premier League match at the Stadium of Light on May 11.
    Email
    11:12 Tuesday 17 May 2016
    1 Have your say
    Sunderland might have ended up in 17th place in the league, but the side’s Match of the Day fixtures put the club as one of the top of the bill.
    The club’s appearances on the BBC1 programme put it in third place, featuring 16 times in the first, second and third sections.

Gary Lineker at Old Trafford, who has said he has no regrets about pledging to host Match Of The Day in his underwear following Leicester City's historic title victory.
    It appeared last just once.
    The rankings show its matches were shown first four times, second five times and third on seven occasions.
    The survey puts Sunderland behind only Manchester City, who appeared in the top three 21 times, and Arsenal - 18 times.
    Newcastle United appeared first on four occasions, second five times and third four times, with a final billing on three nights.
    We don’t really bother too much about it - and I think people probably watch other football shows these days anyway, so don’t read too much significance into it.
    Stoke boss Mark Hughes
    Stoke were bottom of the screening league, with the club appearing last in the running order more than any others during the 2015-16 campaign - it was shown last nine times.
    That was despite a third successive top-half finish that featured the attacking talents of Bojan Krkic, Xherdan Shaqiri and Marko Arnautovic, Mark Hughes’ side closed the BBC’s Premier League highlights show on nine occasions.
    West Brom were next on the list, on last eight times, while Bournemouth, Everton and Swansea all received bottom billing on seven occasions, as every club except Arsenal and Manchester City ended the programme at least once.
    Stoke opened the programme on three occasions - home wins over Chelsea and Manchester City as well as December’s thrilling 4-3 win at Everton.

The table drawn up to show which Premier League sides appeared the most in which positions on this seaon's Match of the Day show.
    But between September 26 and December 12 - a period of time in which the Potters went from 18th to 11th in the table - they were shown last six times in nine appearances.
    Potters boss Hughes was not shocked to learn the news.
    He said: “That is no surprise at all.
    “I think it happens every year, and we have been in the top 10 (in the Premier League) for three years and still can’t shift that title.

George Forster, chairman of Sunderland AFC Supporters' Association.
    “Over the course of a season you would expect to be on (high up) so many times, but for whatever reason we get slipped back in the running order.
    “But we don’t really bother too much about it - and I think people probably watch other football shows these days anyway, so don’t read too much significance into it.”
    The Press Association Sport survey looked at every Saturday night Premier League highlights programme throughout the season, as well as the finale on Sunday night and the midweek shows which aired on December 28, January 13, February 2 and March 2.
    Leicester’s fairytale season meant they were given top billing on more occasions than anyone else.
    The Foxes were first eight times, including the season’s opening show when they beat Sunderland.
    Should they lead the show on the opening day of the 2016-17 campaign, they will be introduced by a topless Gary Lineker after the former England international said in December he would present the first show of next season in his underwear if his boyhood club won the title.
    Five of Leicester’s games in the top slot took place since the start of February, all of which were wins for Claudio Ranieri’s men.
    The closest challengers to Leicester in being shown first were Manchester City, who opened the show seven times, while deposed champions Chelsea, relegated Norwich and Liverpool all topped the bill on six occasions.
    Liverpool had the best ratio of any team with their six number one slots - all since Jurgen Klopp took charge in October - coming in just 16 appearances.
    Aston Villa and West Brom were the only clubs not to be shown first during the campaign.
    Third-placed Tottenham had just two top-billing appearances, the first of which came in March, although with just 19 total appearances they were the second-least featured club during the campaign.
    West Brom (four), Aston Villa (six) and Bournemouth (seven) had the least top-three airings.
    As usual, the amount of goals shown appeared to have a bearing on where a game would feature, with the first game averaging 3.89 goals and the last 1.37.

Read more: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-in-the-top-three-of-motd-screening-league-1-7915499#ixzz48zWxHzmx

2. farnboromackem

farnboromackem Well-Known Member

I can't recall watching MOTD last season. Lineker is an overpaid bellend of a presenter and just purely for that I refuse to watch the programme. Goals on Sunday is far better entertainment.

Nacho and mackemwelder like this.
  3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I won't pay for Sky Sport so rely on programmes like MOTD. I mostly find all the match analysis boring so usually record it and just watch the actual games.
    I'm surprised to find we are high up on the start list as a regular watcher that wasn't obvious too me
    Our game is the only analysis I listen too and surprisingly was Alan Shearer is on he has generally said positive things about the club and in particular Sam Allardyce.

The Relic likes this.
  4. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

In fairness, Shearer did say Sunderland deserved to stay up because they made decisions when decisions needed to be made. Newcastle dithered about over the issue of McLaren and the inevitable happened. Like you, I was surprised.

5. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

I don't have an issue with Sheerah as he is normally spot on and very honest in his comments about us and the scum. My surprise was how high up the viewing table we were?????

MrRAWhite likes this.
  6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It's interesting that we're actually featured quite prominently as I think most of us would have said that we're always on last or thereabouts.

I guess there's a bit of the 'poor old Sunderland' about it which in reality we've got no reason to think.

I don't usually watch MOTD as Lineker pisses me off but Shearer is alright, oddly enough. Not like Quinn who tries so hard to be impartial that you'd swear he hated us.

farnboromackem likes this.
  7. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So I'm not the only one to think that!

8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think a few do on here, it's pretty annoying eh. I still like the bloke though and it was nice seeing him letting his guard down shaking hands with all the players going past him after the Everton game.