1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Mr Hamilton

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Nigel Stephens, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Nigel Stephens

Nigel Stephens Active Member

Well well, I read that Lewis has "feels like giving up on everything" as he realises the impact we have made on the World.
    This is good news and it is a worthy contribution, but please let's put this into some form of context. This is someone who has raced F1 motor cars for several years, one of the most environmentally unfriendly sports one can possible entertain, has run his own private jet for several years and no doubt had several thousand air miles polluting the planet on a pro-rata basis as much as probably any other individual on the planet, forgive me if i don't change my lifestyle immediately because the penny has suddenly dropped in his head.
    There is no doubt that the planet has been damaged by us, quite possibly beyond recovery and we all have had a part to play in that to a greater or lesser degree. What do we do now? I can't help feeling that whatever we do it is too little too late, but what I don't need is some sanctimonious overtone from a serial planet devastater.
    rant over!

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  2. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Perhaps Mr Hamilton would like to live in poverty after devoting all his wealth to causes to mitigate or reverse climate change? Maybe buy up as much amazonian land as he can and build him self a hut at the extremity to ward off loggers and cattle farmers.
    We could all no doubt do more, but Going Vegan is not something i would consider. Frankly I'd rather see compulsory sterilisation of everyone after they have had two children. Between that and death penalties being applied to rapists, murderers, pedo's and Trump voters to trim the population abit.
    Being poluting and good little consumers is too profitable for those what really run this planet for things to change significantly. Maybe the next generation will with teachers pushing a lefty agenda actually tackle things head on but I won't hold my breath. Not when Asda et al are devoting 2+ aisles of plastic **** for halloween.

Bah!

3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

That's it then, I'll never use my private jet again!!!!

Nigel Stephens likes this.
  4. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Woops just flew into work again lol

ncgandy and Nigel Stephens like this.
  5. General Melchett

I can't wait to see him accelerate more gently to be more environmentally friendly. I bet if he drives at 60mph he can get round his next two races on the same amount of fuel.

bah!

chinacanary and Nigel Stephens like this.
  6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Terrific posts Nigel Stephens and General.
    NO WAY am I going Vegan - I'm doing a little to help and have cut down from red meat once or twice a week to twice a month.
    Circumstances forced me to get rid of my car, so now it's walk/bike/bus to get around and luckily I have an excellent bus service just over ½ a mile away.

I've not had my heating on since early April.

chinacanary and Nigel Stephens like this.
  7. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With plants, insects, birds, fish and mammals all becoming endangered - in some cases verging on extinction, a few hollow words from a multi-millionaire claiming to have seen the light once the money has been banked and the kerosene burned doesn't impress me one ****ing iota.
    #wiseaftertheevent

8. General Melchett

#wiseaftertheevent! I think that requires a good deal more action than flapping his gums and flying with the team instead of in his own private jet.

Bah!

9. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes, much maligned around these parts but without Sanders coaches things would be tricky.
    Can get to places like Gresham, Ingworth, Banningham and normally very reliable <ok>

JM Fan likes this.
  10. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

I want to add something to this thread, but any extra data places a burden on servers=one more tree down. Minimilise usage of plastic, walk more, reuse things and mend stuff that is broken. Have a garden? Compost leftovers. Grow veg in your back yard. Rent an allotment.

JM Fan likes this.

11. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

That is true, Iceland might be the server country for the future using geothermal energy to cool the servers down

12. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Using heat to make cold.

zogean_king likes this.
  13. Phuketcanary

Phuketcanary Well-Known Member

The thing about it is, we can't win on this. Hamilton hasn't said he's perfect and everyone else needs to pull up their socks. He just seemingly realised how unsustainable the way all of us live is for this planet (including himself.)

Humans have never needed to act in a way that considers their impact on the world as a whole till now. We have finally got to a point of power where we can inflict real lasting damage on our own planet and subsequently ourselves. And we haven't the slightest ability to stop ourselves for keeping doing it.

Let's be honest, most of us arent prepared to make any significant changes to the way we live our lives that decrease our personal joy for the benefit of others instead. We are selfish. We eat meat despite the evidence of how unsustainable it is, not because we think the facts and science are wrong, but because we like it and we want it. We fly on holidays all over the world and order products shipped from China not because we think carbon emissions don't exist or contribute to global climate change. We just want to sit on a beach. And have shiny things to distract us.

Hamilton is the same as anyone else. And he's realised how depressing it is that we are so totally incapable being anything other than the self serving individuals we all are. And instead of changing, which we cant, we mask the grimness of that realisation by arguing who is the MOST self serving.

Its like two people standing on the deck of the Titanic and bickering about whose bit of the ship is sinking the most.

14. Nigel Stephens

Nigel Stephens Active Member

I do take your point bengalur and what you say is fair comment. However, if Donald Trump was to say that everybody should tell the truth the whole time and that lying is terrible, what would you say to that? No doubt you would agree with the sentiment but object to the fact that it is he who is saying it, pot calling kettle etc, that really is the point I am making.

15. Phuketcanary

Phuketcanary Well-Known Member

I g
    I suppose its the attention and balance given to it.

People seem to suggest that as Hamilton visibly lives a life that has a larger carbon foot print than most, the point he is making is somehow nullified.

Yet production and consumption of meat IS visibly damaging the ecosystems we rely upon. Meat consumption based on current agricultural methods is going to become even less sustainable as the world's population grows and the third world starts eating more meat.

I live in Bangalore, and believe me, meat consumption is going up and up here in India, as is family size.

The generations that will be left with a more broken world due to our mindless consumption are going to ask, why we didn't do anything.

And we will say, well famous sports people spoke about how we should change our lifestyles but we said they fly too much so ignored them.
    And we bought into the ideas (no doubt supported by the vast money of the meat industries) that vegans are wimps and arrogant and that meat eating is an essential right, even if it'll destroy other seeming human rights such as access to clean water and food for millions to come.

Another metaphor for you. You and a man are in a building. The man starts a fire that traps you both in the room as it starts to be engulfed. He says 'you need to put out the fire'. He starts to pour some water on it but it's not enough to quench the flames. Do you help him put out the fire and save both of you, or do you let it burn?

Which deserves your energy more in this moment? Judgement of his culpability and hypocrisy, or taking action to put out the flames?