1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

My Club: Jon Lansdown

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Mar 25, 2020.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

My Club: Jon Lansdown
    Wednesday, March 25th 2020

A six-year-old Jon Lansdown was hooked from the first time he stepped inside Ashton Gate, all the way back in 1990. Fast forward 29 years and he would become the club’s chairman. Jon looks back on an eventful few years of progress, both on and off the pitch...

"My first game was Bury at home in the 1989/90 season which was a good year for the football club. It was a good day because we won 1-0, Dave Smith rounded the goalkeeper to score and I became hooked from that moment. I remember the whole occasion, the journey to the ground, watching from the Dolman Stand...it was great.

"I remember my second game too for the opposite reasons because we lost 2-0 and I voted for a Reading player as Man of the Match...you learn quickly!

"Growing up I sat in the Atyeo Stand and Block B of the Dolman (as it was), and stood in the East End. We now sit in the Director’s Box so I’ve now watched from everywhere in the stadium.

"In terms of standout moments, for me the play-off game against Hartlepool United in 2004 – where we came from behind with two quick goals – is up there. The noise was electric and the release and energy when we scored the second was something that never leaves you. In more modern times, the Crystal Palace game which got us to the Championship play-off final in 2008 was similar. The prize and the occasion was huge, so they were like-for-like.

"The Manchester United tie here in December 2017 is an obvious one, and not just because it was against United. It was the way we won and the fact that we wanted the home draw. It was so special because I think as a club it was the first time we were ready to host a big event. We had a local boy in Joe Bryan score and then we got the last-minute winner which really took the roof off at an electric Ashton Gate.

please log in to view this image

A young Jon, left, alongside his father and club owner Steve Lansdown
    "I’m really proud of how the Robins Foundation has grown massively in the last 10 years, seeing the passionate staff always thinking of how they can deliver in an area of need, how they can improve people’s lives through football.

"We are often focused on how to win football matches yet there is an element to that which we can’t control. What we can control is what we do in the community and there is nothing stopping us from becoming world class at that. Our connection with the community is something we will always look to nurture and develop.

"It’s been a natural journey because I’ve lived football. I was always passionate about the game. The one thing you want to ensure is you look after something you care about, and as custodians you are putting it in a better place for when you leave it.

"It’s rare in football for there to be local owners invested in a club. I care about the city and the club, and you want it to have the best influence on your surroundings as possible."

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

If he has got half the brains of his dad then we're okay, there is no doubt his heart and soul are with us but I worry about his acumen.

3. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I realise most on here don't agree.
    However what troubles many City fans is what do the Johnsons have on the Lansdowns.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  4. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Nothing

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  5. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

a myth to trouble the minds of those that persist in banging their head against the wall.. . .

6. maga1810

maga1810 Member

I honestly think the Lansdowns just think he is a good manager.

Alan Dicks became manager in 1967, 19th first year. Improvement next 2 seasons. Probably more telling 19th again in his 4th 70/71. A couple of good seasons then in 73/74 season 16th. We were promoted in 75/76. Who thinks keeping him on in that 4th season or at end 73/74 season was a mistake?

Lansdown is a business man. In business you pick a person to manage your company and you back him. If he makes mistakes you do not sack. Yes you look at results (in normal business either financial or market share) but you also look if company is stronger and in good shape moving forward.

Who on here thinks BCFC not in a good place:
    • Stadium
    • Crowds
    • FFP
    • Training ground
    • Strong youth policy
    and we are in top 10.

In summary - what does Johnson have on Lansdown - the ability with the other managers at the club to run a strong performing football club on and off the field

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  7. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Their too tight knit. Friends. Almost family. When Lansdown binned GJ he was nearly in tears.

8. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Nothing, other than thinking he's a good young manager that loves the club and puts in 100% effort to help our club progress.....mmmm Not what you wanted to hear! <laugh>

9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Because he knows it pisses you off?

10. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

But he still binned him, surely that answers the question?

11. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

and herein lies the tale perform or next sunday when you pop round for lunch we will be with a new manager at the club

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I just think Steve Lansdown is a very intelligent individual and thank god we have got him as our owner, LJ would not have survived at another club but SL has recognised something there that fits in with his vision for our club, I personally do not understand it but 7th place in the league is something I can't argue with, so be it.

It is nice to have SL in charge when all around is going asunder, would Jon be able to cope on his own in future unforseen disasters?