1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nani is not Cristiano Ronaldo

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Hizmo, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Hizmo

Hizmo Active Member

Portuguese Luís Carlos Almeida da Cunha (or ‘Nani’ as we all know him) is a powerful and pacy winger. He arrived at Old Trafford from Sporting Lisbon in 2007 and, predictably, was given the tag of being ‘the new Cristiano Ronaldo’.

Nevertheless, Nani returned to action in January 2010 and put together a string of hugely impressive displays and chipped in with some vital goals, to win over fans and partly reward the faith Sir Alex had shown in him. The United boss highlighted an increased maturity in the Reds' no.17 and his blossoming personality. Having not long turned 23, it seemed fair to suggest that the inconsistency that at times frustrated us fans earlier in his career.

It was perhaps unfair to set the standards so high for him, like the heights Ronaldo scaled at United, not least because realistically they are quite different players.

It's important to note that Nani is an all-together different player to Ronaldo. He is an out and out winger, his major strength being his ability to cross the ball into dangerous areas. Nani is also capable of explosive bursts of brilliance and spectacular goals that have proven well worthy. Where as Ronaldo had the intention of scoring goals rather than making them. Another valuable asset is his versatility. He can play on either flank, although his crossing remains most effective when he operates on the right wing, and he has the skill, pace and shooting power to be a threat when cutting back infield.

Thoughts?

2. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

Ronaldo is a fat Brazilian who has retired.
    The other Ronaldo would go missing in big games.

Nani is Nani, and is a fine player at that

3. The Ghost of Pascal Mikael Senderos

As an Arsenal fan, I rate him. Whether i'd have him in my team is different, i personally prefer Nasri, but each to his own!
    However hse has improved so much from the joke that he was a couple of years back!!
    Unfortunately the same can't be said about Anderson...

The new Ronaldo? No way. Decent player? Yes.

4. arazis

arazis New Member

Nani is a fine player but only thanks to development this season. Last year he was pretty wafty.

I thin k the comparisons get drawn because they both developed in a similar sort of way. Both were unheard of when they arrived, and came with pretty big transfer tags despite their relative lack of fame. Both had awful first seasons where they were light weight, product-less step over machines. Butboth came in to their own and became world class players after a couple of seasons.

I think if Nani bulks up a bit like Ronaldo did and Fergie sticks around for another couple of years, he could be massaged in to the Ronaldo mold.

5. M

M New Member

how cxan someone say ronaldo went missing in big games???? look at his goals in major games mate, semi finals finals the list goes on, you talk ****e pal

6. M

M New Member

Ronaldo scored more than any other player of his important goals.....champions league final, fa cup final, quater final of the champs league, semi final of champs league, erm you dont get much more important, who has scored more important goals?? inn that year, you talk ****, your bitter

7. M

M New Member

champions league final, fa cup final, quater final of the champs league, semi final of champs league, are them goals not in big games?