1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Postecoglou & Lange (& Paratici) Watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Apr 19, 2021.

?

Next gaffer, who's your preference?

1. Arne Slot

2. Ruben Amorim

3. Luis Enrique

4. Ange Postocoglou

5. Brendan Rodgers

6. Graham Potter

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Poch had his faults, everyone knew that but his pros far outweighed them. Nagelsmann aside, he was probably the best candidate for our job right now and we didn’t even bother to text or call him for the role.

Leonardo’s a prick though and it’s more or less been implied by a number of people. Poch had a decent relationship with Mitchell and whilst not a DoF at the time he’s the type of person that Poch would likely happily work with/ under. He’ll likely work under someone at Chelsea, though Boehly’s even more ridiculous than Levy at the moment so good luck finding someone you’ll be okay to work with.

3. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I'm not happy at all either but I didn't want him back here and I also assume he didn't fancy the prospect of another year twiddling his thumbs.

Like Spurs, ironically, he's a bit caught between two levels. Far too good to manage most medium to large clubs, but at the same time hasn't done nearly enough to convince the truly huge clubs (such as United, Real and Bayern) that they'd succeed under his management.

Chelsea is the best job he could've got at this stage so I fully understand why he took it. But at the same time I don't wish him well, in fact I hope he crashes and burns and fast forward another £600m they're still midtable.

4. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Sad to see poch go to Chelsea, but he owes us nothing. And a reminder to everyone that players and managers don’t think like us fans.

levy had the chance to bring him back, but opted not to make the phone call.

I’m in 2 minds over the situation to be honest.
    The issues he raised about “the furniture for the house” (and our attitude towards that) still hasn’t changed. So what would be different now?
    However, at the same time, with the absolutely desperate mess we’re in, he was also probably the best person to get the most out our current situation and revitalise us.

Good luck to levy, this next appointment is going to need to be a blinder, or more questions are gonna be asked and the toxicity will reach a whole new level.

Billy The Spur likes this.
  5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’d love to be wrong but if he gets just half of what they spent last season to improve that squad then they’ll likely go onto have a great season under him. That squad already has some quality, it was just mishmashed together on a bigger scale than what we did with the Bale money.

I’d be surprised if they don’t finish top four next season now with him at the helm.

We on the other hand currently look destined for being even worse than this one, especially if Kane jumps ship.

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The thing with Mitchell is he was probably closer to a scout than a DoF, as his expertise was going over the data-based scouting (before it was cool) and using his eye to pick out the player who was the optimum fit for what was required - although Clinton N'Jie and Vincent Janssen would have been his picks, so he was never hitting 100% as that's impossible

This leads to one suggestion, which is based on a ****load of guesswork and/or scapegoating, suggesting that when Mitchell went Steve Hitchen tried to replicate his role but just didn't have the eye for a player Mitchell had - although there's glaring gaps in this logic, both in terms of reports of Poch turning down Hitchen's targets as he wanted the players he wanted, plus our 2019 business did see a couple of longterm Poch targets arrive a year later than expected in Ndombele and Sessegnon which also moves the blame away from Hitchen

One question that does beg to be asked is that, as it appears we are restructuring our youth development pipeline, where would Poch fit in with that? It was Poch's belief that players were there to train which ultimately gummed up the works, because while an Edwards of Madueke or Shashoua or Giorgiou etc etc would be training with the first team and learning Poch's tactics, if they didn't play it was a waste of their development and that's where his distrust of the loan system or anything other than increasing the value of youngsters he didn't see a future for such as Conor Ogilvie or Nathan Oduwa became a problem until a few agents spoke up about their clients wanting to play anywhere other than our training pitch

7. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Nah poch got to look after himself. We bore no ill will for mourinho going to the dark side. Not good fault levy fired him and doesnt want him back.

What other choice does he have. Without todd he might go starving on the streets

8. Spurs61

Spurs61 Well-Known Member

How many managers do better in a second spell at a club than they do in the first?
    Eddie Howe at Bournemouth and ????

remembercolinlee likes this.
  9. humanbeingincroydon

Carlo Ancelotti at Los Ladrones

First stint: Champions League & Copa del Rey
    Second stint: Champions League, La Liga & Copa del Rey

Jupp Heynckes won a treble in his second (or third, if you count his caretaker stint) at Bayern, too

10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

There is that too

his transfer dealings were quite suspect

11. humanbeingincroydon

There is a sentiment that Paul Mitchell carried him

TBH I don't agree with it, but it does say that Poch needs a DoF more than he is willing to admit

12. humanbeingincroydon

Little bit of a tangent here, but has anybody noticed just how many clubs seem to be passing on Luis Enrique?

Back in March/April the stories were how he wanted to get back into management "immediately", yet here we are in late May and he seems to be getting passed over for various jobs, with Chelsea obviously passing him over after showing interest, and he certainly seems to have slipped off our shortlist in the last few weeks

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Isn't he nailed on to replace Spaletti at Napoli?

If so, best move for him, they're miles ahead of both clubs.

14. Rudekid

Rudekid Well-Known Member

yes-sit.gif

15. humanbeingincroydon

Di Marzio seems to be pushing Vinny Italian out of left field for that job now

16. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

It’s probably a reaction to the sheer lack of any substantial rumours but I’m starting to worry Levy has ****ed it. Realistically this is the key week as ground can be laid with anyone currently in a job (DoF or manager alike) during the season but you’d understand if they wanted to push any concrete discussions off to after the final game. 2 weeks to the transfer window officially opening. With so much work needed on the squad we need the structure in place sooner rather than later.

Roo likes this.
  17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It's also been exacerbated by Poch going to Chelsea. They had him lined up for weeks too whilst we've hopped and skipped on managerial and DoF targets to the point that months after Conte's sacking we don't have a number one candidate for either role.

We're just over a week out from matching the time it took to hire Nuno.

I said it recently but I do believe we're now considered a poisoned chalice club in the footballing community. Whilst we fans saw faults in certain things the managers have done, to have both Jose Mourinho and Antonio Conte as managers leave without any success is a very bad look on the club. Fan unrest, star player uncertainty, Levy's declining reputation and a lot of squad players that need shifting, it's not an appealing job right now.

I did initially think we'd have it all sorted by now and/ or we'd still have a number of candidates who'd jump at the chance to manage us but hindsight is probably telling me I was severely misguided.

18. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

As outsiders to the internal machinations of the footballing world, I think we’re perhaps underestimating how negatively Spurs are perceived right now. For whatever reasoning behind the circumstances right now, we are a club with a toxic CEO, no clear plan, we sacked the last manager who made a cup final before he could play it, two very highly regarded managers have had negative experiences with the club in the last couple of years, and the squad is a mismatch with the key player’s future uncertain. If you translated that to a job opening in my current career I’d have severe misgivings about taking it. I know that’s only looking at the risks of the job right now but when you lay it out, it becomes a difficult prospect.

With that said, top managers and sportspeople always have the mentality that they can be the one to succeed and sort something out. It’s why they do what they do. But there are obviously other job openings and if we’re targeting managers who are employed they may wish to stay put. We had the draw of the Kane-Son partnership which made us competitive for a few years even if other things were a mess but that’s now not what it was.

Ultimately we’re a rudderless ship right now and I think it’s telling. I’m starting to seriously wonder if Levy is actually capable of sorting this mess out. The footballing world may just have had enough of him and not want to work for him any more.

Roo, Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.
  19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Dan KP says we’ll step up interest in Big Ange after Celtic’s final against Inverness on the weekend. Apparently Munn knows him personally and despite at 57 him not fitting the mould of a young up and coming coach, the club’s said to have been impressed with his style of play and charisma.

Mentions that talks were held with Enrique too, who’s also spoken with Napoli but and their chairman recently said Enrique has a Prem job in mind.

Tilly'sowner likes this.
  20. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member