1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Points System

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by safc-noggieland, May 29, 2018.

1. safc-noggieland

safc-noggieland Well-Known Member

Just thinking as we wait for the new SAFC regime gets into gear - how interesting do think it would be if we distributed points the way ice hockey does here in Scandinavia. At the moment weget 0 for a loss 1pt for a draw and 3pts for a win. The thinking that this promotes the idea that this disproportionate reward of 3pts envourages teams to go for the win. I don’t disagree with this system. However in the event of a draw apoint is still awarded BUT. A a five man shoot out determines which team will get a second point. The shoot out is not a penalty as such but a play takes the ball from the half-way line and the goalie is unrestricted as to movement. He can race out totry and tackle, come out a little and narrow shooting sngles. Interesting ? This ensures there is always 3 points up for grabs either 1, 2 or 3 points. Would like to here some other opinions.
    KTF

2. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Hate it to be honest. North America can't wrap their heads around a draw for some reason. I have no problem with it at all.

I think some games a draw is a fair result and to force the issue and reward more points to a team needlessly is just a bit weird.

3. safc-noggieland

Would some excitement to a boring 0-0 draw AND keep the early runners in their seats. MAYBE.

4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I like it how it is.

5. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try appease **** fans to be honest. They're the last people who deserve to be pandered to.

Some nil nil draws are the best games of footy. I just don't think you need to force the result at all. Some of the best games I've been to, we've scraped a draw from the big dogs. Would be deflated if we then felt like we hadn't got equal points from a monumental effort.

Not to mention... mourinho would play horrendous football and practice penalties all week. Even less attacking football from negative managers.

You're rewarded for winning and playing to win. Makes sense to me.

6. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

No from me

7. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

The great Italian football journalist Gianni Brera said that the perfect game of football would end 0-0. While I don't necessarily agree with that, the general point that a 0-0 draw isn't always boring is true.

I'm a fairly big ice hockey fan. Used to go and watch Durham Wasps as a kid and I went to GB v Lithuania, Sparta Prague v Dynamo Moscow, and some lower English league games last season, as well as watching the IIHF World Champs avidly. I don't think the shoot-out system would translate to football at all well. It works in ice hockey due to the size of the rink and the speed and nature of the game but it would become a circus if you tried it in football.

Leave well alone for me. Different sports have different ways of doing things and I think that's how it should be.

8. Brian Storm

Let not forget the US used to use the shootout style to replace penalties in football and largely received criticism around the globe. I don't want this sort of thing in the traditional game.

9. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

There is great satisfaction in fighting for a well deserved 0-0 draw against a big team. Full time, walk off, thank you very much.

Brian Storm likes this.
  10. safc-noggieland

So the consensus appears to be no no. Thought so myself, just put out to see what kind of reaction it would bring as we wait for the action at the SoL to start.

smithy in nl likes this.

11. Brian Storm

It's often very well earned. Would be wrong to render it for nothing. Devalues competitiveness imo.

12. Brian Storm

Like Germany and Italy our footballing culture prides it self in the defensive aspects of the game, removing reward for good solid defensive displays would never go down well in European leagues imo. Imagine it would go down better in leagues in south america where the football is is more attack focused.

13. The Norton Cat

Do you watch much ice hockey over there yourself then? I'd quite like to catch a game in the hockeyallsvenskan next season if it fits in with my other plans.

14. safc-noggieland

I’ve watched an odd game,but am not a wholehesrted follower. I live in Norway not Sweden, thoughI do have a house there as well (north of Gothenberg nesr the border betwee N & S. Plenty of room if you need a base.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  15. The Norton Cat

What's the Norwegian league like? I know much less about it than the Swedish league. I've spent a little bit of time in both Norway and Sweden and think both countries are great. Would love to spend more time there! If we do go next year we'll probably be headed further north and east than Gothenburg

16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

They tried this when they first launched the MLS.

I think it’s a good concept v shoot out for cups but wouldn’t fancy it for league games.

They could if anything offer a bonus point system based on away goals etc to encourage attacking football, but then even that feels a bit Americanised for me.

17. safc-noggieland

When it comes to both hockey and footy they are rung further down the ladder - tho with a few talented individuals. Usually have at least one in the USA. This is my second period in Norway and I’ve now retired (I’m a lucky sod 2 pensions). Got alarge house over the border in Sweden so I get the best of both. I get home 2/3 times year, catch a game and keep up with family, but this is the place for me. ;) If SAFC play any friendlies got room for a few guests.

18. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

i like the idea very much mate, just lots on my plate at the mo and only reply if necessitates.

19. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

moving to Germany near cologne and if your in that neck of the woods your welcome to stay

farnboromackem likes this.
  20. safc-noggieland

Cheers - you never know what the future brings.