1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New QPR Manager is ..........

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Didley Squat, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

As stated, Ainsworth looks the money, just hope he can handle it and hasn't been selected on the basis of being an 'old boy' and ' if we appoint you manager, don't expect funds ' .......... from the management.

I still subscribe to the view of our owners want us as a mid table team but l will give Ainsworth my 100% support to start with.

QPR set to appoint new manager in next 48 hours as terms agreed with 49-year-old

Story by Ben Wignall • 12h ago

upload_2023-2-21_15-56-45.png
    Queens Park Rangers are on the verge of appointing Gareth Ainsworth as their next manager, and expect a deal to be done within the next two days.

please log in to view this image

Preston North End v Queens Park Rangers Coca-Cola Football League Championship© Provided by Football League World
    That is according to West London Sport, who have reported that the R’s hierarchy made their approach to the Chairboys for Ainsworth on Monday and terms are thought to have been wrapped up pretty quickly.

John Percy of The Telegraph claimed earlier on Monday afternoon that compensation had already been agreed with the League One play-off chasers for Ainsworth, and it was just down to the 49-year-old to decide whether or not he wanted to make the move.

He is now set to end his managerial stint with the Chairboys which has lasted over 10 years, with his appointment at Adams Park coming in September 2012.

Ainsworth has managed 550 matches for Wycombe and earned two promotions with the Buckinghamshire club, but is poised to return to Loftus Road where he played 152 times between 2003 and 2010, as well as taking on two separate stints as caretaker manager in 2008 and 2009 respectively.

The Verdict

It will be the end of an era at Adams Park as the second longest-serving manager in the EFL moves on – but it was only ever going to be to a club that he holds strongly in his heart.

Ainsworth has proved to be more than just a master of the dark arts and long-ball football like what is alleged about him, and whilst he may like to be direct in his tactics a lot of the time, there’s no reason to say why that won’t work with QPR.

The pressing issue is that is things continue to go wrong on the pitch, then the fans will end up turning on an individual that they have held in high regard from his previous spell with the club.

This is an appointment that has appeared to divide opinion amongst the supporters, and Ainsworth for sure has quite a bit to prove at Championship level.

deano58 likes this.
  2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Don't do it gareth

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  3. Didley Squat

QPR close to appointing Gareth Ainsworth as manager with deal agreed to take him from Wycombe Wanderers and bring to an end his 11-year spell at Adams Park
    • QPR sacked Neil Critchley following a disastrous spell in charge of the club
    • They identified Gareth Ainsworth as their number one target to takeover
    • Hopeful of appointing Ainsworth after agreeing compensation with Wycombe
    By SIMON JONES FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 11:57 AEDT, 21 February 2023 | UPDATED: 12:06 AEDT, 21 February 2023

Queens Park Rangers are close to appointing Gareth Ainsworth as their new manager following the sacking of Neil Critchley.

The club parted ways with Critchley on Sunday evening following a disastrous run of form that has seen them slip from play-off contention in the Championship to 17th.

Having parted ways with Michael Beale's replacement following their 3-1 defeat at Middlesbrough, the club swiftly identified their targets to take over - seemingly having already known that the end was nigh for Critchley.

Ainsworth, a former player for the club who made 152 appearances over seven years, while becoming caretaker boss on two separate occasions, is thought to have been lured by the prospect of managing QPR despite having spent just shy of 11 years in charge at Wycombe Wanderers.

The deal has already seen compensation agreed between the two clubs with Ainsworth having only signed a new deal with the Adams Park side last summer.

+3
    View gallery
    QPR are close to appointing long-serving Wycombe Wanderers boss Gareth Ainsworth

+3
    View gallery
    Comes merely a day after they parted company with former Blackpool manager Neil Critchley

TRENDING

QPR sack boss Neil Critchley after just TWELVE games in charge

Finer details are now being arranged, but it is not believed those will prove an issue with Ainsworth keen to try the new challenge of managing QPR and attempting to move them up the Championship.

After Beale departed for Rangers, having previously turned down Wolverhampton Wanderers citing loyalty, the club remained in a favourable position to make the play-offs but just one win in 12 has seemingly put paid to that dream for this season.

The former Wycombe player has long been targeted by QPR, it is believed, though has been beaten to the post by both Beale and, latterly, Critchley, both of whom have been assistants to Steven Gerrard at one particular time.

Last summer, upon signing his new deal with Wycombe, Ainsworth cited the reports that other sides were targeting him but felt loyal to the club having felt their backing.

'It’s no secret that there were rumours with other teams, and without giving anything away, the club backed me, they were interested in me,' he said. 'For me, my mind was made up that it was good thing to sign my contract extension.'

With QPR having come calling at last, one of the Football League's most successful and exhilarating stories over the past decade looks to be drawing to a close.

Ainsworth joined Wycombe initially in 2012 as a caretaker player-manager before taking over permanently.

+3
    View gallery
    QPR's defeat to Middlesbrough at the weekend means they've won once in eighteen games
    He has spent just shy of 11 years in charge of the club, guiding them to promotion to the Championship in 2020 via the play-offs.

Having sacked Critchley after a disastrous run of one win in 12, the QPR acknowledged in a statement that it had not worked out how they hoped but wished the former Blackpool boss the best for the future.

'It is hugely disappointing to have to make such a decision so early into Neil's tenure with the club,' QPR CEO Lee Hoos said. 'However, after seeing the team slip from play-off contenders to one being drawn into a relegation battle, the Board felt it had to act. There is no doubt Neil inherited a difficult situation when he joined and we would like to acknowledge his superb work ethic and professionalism throughout our dealings.

'He is a fantastic man and we have no doubts he will go on to be a success elsewhere, just as he was at Blackpool.'

4. deano58

deano58 Well-Known Member

If appointed,Gareth will bring passion and determination that's for sure.how he gets some of these sicknote,lazy,unprofessional so called footballers buying into his work ethic won't be easy,shape up or ship out im hoping..some hard home truths coming for a few of these prima donnas, and about time.

mcytiger, rangercol, seahoop and 2 others like this.
  5. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Wild thing……..you make my heart sing.

No true fan would be disappointed that’s for sure

6. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

A few worries for me on this. But first I state my long distance ‘bromance’ for Gareth Ainsworth as a player, music man and long standing manager with one club.

There are a few concerns for me: firstly I read he’s not a big fan of SLF (or vice versa), that doesn’t bode well at all if anyone loses I’d suggest it will be Gazza; secondly he’s walking into a bad mix (that I’d like to think is whinging loan players related, but feels deeper dissatisfaction in the squad with things) can he sort this out with the backing of key experienced players and the management/coaching team; thirdly, he needs a really good coaching team with him that can keep the players developing, motivated and busy (busy minds have no time for whinging and bringing down the club) - who he has at his side will be extremely important.

I’d like to know why the management of the club feel Gazza is the right person for the club - because I want to know the criteria that they selected him to take us safely to the end of the season and to develop the playing side of the club forwards. NOT just an easy ‘he’s a liked guy and will keep the fans quiet for a time’. This is 2023, not the ****ing 1970’s when you could get away with it.

I’m feeling the Academy cartel at the club needs a serious looking at. Maybe the influencers at the club feel this will give them more time to carry on with their failure to find, develop and integrate academy players into the first team.

Feels like a bad time for any manager to come into this lot. But if he feels this is the time, I’m 100% behind him. I really don’t want to see him fail but history repeating itself is like night after day at this club. We need a ****ing break. Get to the end of the season then we’ll see what really changes (or if it’s just more of the same).

7. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Everyone in media thought Critchley was a good match for us
    Everyone in the media think Ainsworth isn't

Gives me a little hope

Uber_Hoop, WBA2_QPR3, Ron and 5 others like this.
  8. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

Not appointed yet so I'll hold my fire. I'd like to think that Amit has stepped in and told the minion mutants who to appoint just as he did years ago with Warnock. Almost certainly not but would cheer me up, if he's not a fan of Les then he's not alone at this moment in time ! Teflon Les has escaped with his job intact yet again.

9. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

Not sure now is the time for Gareth. The ‘Down Tools’ brigade need someone they respect and who’ll tell them what’s what. Wilder would be that man.

10. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Laird and Balogen...won't play for anyone.

But GA will do okay with the rest

11. Didley Squat

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I could get Laird playing in 10 seconds.

Just tell him that Erik ten Hag will be told, explicitly and with no room for uncertainty, what an arrogant lazy **** he is, nowhere near good enough for the PL.

Of course ten Hag knows this already, and doubtless Laird knows he knows it and his ‘performances’ reflect the toilet bound direction of his career.

WBA2_QPR3, rangercol and qprbeth like this.
  13. seahoop

seahoop Well-Known Member

14. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Good listen & he’s still passionate about the club & also correct in what he was saying about the players & no leaders

15. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

Sure he had a pint of cider there, sounded like he'd had a drink. Good old Ollie though, bleeds blue and white but is completely barking lol.

16. SW Ranger

Brilliantly said. In total sense.
    He points again to a common theme … lack of leadership on the pitch! When/where are we going to get this guy. I was expecting Dickie and Johansen to do it but they’ve not stood up.

But great interview. Hope the players hear it.

mcytiger, seahoop and jeffranger like this.
  17. SW Ranger

What did he say that was wrong Hammy?

jeffranger likes this.
  18. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Balogun was supposed to the be a leader on the pitch, wasn't he?

Where did he wind up?

SW Ranger likes this.
  19. SW Ranger

Crying into his beer when ‘the snake’ left him high and dry! Then hit with the ‘woe is me’ injury and dehydration from his tears?

20. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

He had a pop at Chair and absolutely slaughtered Dickie. If Rob has heard this he will be hoping none of the other players etc. have!