1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New South Stand?

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Bluebaldee, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

The minutes of the Rovers' latest board meeting have been published and they include a project for replacing the tent on the south side of the ground this summer. This is to increase capacity and the number of seats as the Mem's standing capacity has been reduced over the last few years.

I realise that we all want a new stadium asap, but that's not going to happen anytime soon, so I'm happy that they're going to improve what we've got. It'll probably be another temporary structure but it'll be better than that ruddy tent! Something like the temporary stand at Bournemouth's Dean Court would be fine and give us an additional 1,000 seats.

They also plan to expand The Quarters.

Training ground phase two, new stand and director exit – Bristol Rovers board meeting key points - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

old timer likes this.
  2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

I just hope that the locals don't object otherwise that will be another attempt at improving our facilities and our attendances down the pan. I really believe if it isn't in favour of our neighbours across the city the planners will be in favour of our neighbours and block the expansion of the Memorial stadium

Bluebaldee likes this.
  3. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

We need a new ground!!

Bluebaldee likes this.
  4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

When will this happen? The summer??? Of what year? <laugh>

Believe it when I see it.

Bluebaldee likes this.
  5. old timer

Could happen Saw a flying pig this morning

6. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Tom Gorringe has stated that the new south stand will curve around to the south east side so both tented structures will go. The new stand will have a seated capacity of 4,000.

That’s really quite large for the area of land it will occupy. I’m sure that the citizens of Alton Road will have something to say.

Also, if the club are building a permanent 4,000 seater stand then that must mean that we’re not moving into a new stadium anytime soon, certainly not this decade.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  7. old timer

The locals don't have any love for the Rovers and I am sure they will do everything they can to stop the enlargement of the Memorial stadium. We can only live in hope that it will go through, but don't hold your breath

8. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

9. old timer

Increases the capacity to about 17000 I think it said, If JB can bring in some quality players in the Summer season ticket sales might just increase

10. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

According to a recent interview by Wael the new South Stand will increase capacity to 12,500.

Current capacity at the Mem is 9,800 and we have frequently sold out this season. Our average attendance is over 8,800 this season and we all know how “snug” it gets on the terraces when there’s more than 9,000 in the ground.

This new stand is an ideal solution. It’ll add around 2,500 additional seats over what’s there now. I’ve read about some people whining about the pillars but there’s no way we should be spending money in an expensive cantilever stand when we could be moving in 4 or 5 years time.

11. old timer

Yes I realised that I had put the wrong figures in , Thanks for correcting it

Bluebaldee likes this.
  12. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

The tents are down!

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I seen this at the Marcus Stewart charity event. Reminded me of the early years at the Mem.

Bluebaldee likes this.
  14. old timer

South stand planning application published, there have been 3 objections so far

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Stupid rejections too. "The 3 tree's are a wildlife haven which will be ruined". Another said "people will be able to look into our gardens" (forgetting google maps exists obviously!)

old timer likes this.
  16. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

17. old timer

With the locals and the council against us NO CHANCE, every thing we try to do the locals and the council do their best to stop and I am sure they will succeed again this time

18. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

I have a sneaking suspicion that we’ll get this.

It’s a sound planning proposal that simply adds seats and facilities to the stadium without increasing capacity above what it’s previously been. Most of the objections are about construction noise and inconvenience which aren’t generally valid planning objections.

The new stand is undoubtedly larger than what was there before but will it block out much light for neighbouring houses? I’m not sure it will.

And let’s face it - if you buy a house at the empty end of a football stadium don’t be surprised if the club builds a stand on it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  19. old timer

Get fed up with people who buy houses near sports stadiums or airports and complain about crowd's or aircraft noise

20. old timer

Long statement by the club on the clubs web site

Bluebaldee likes this.