1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New stadium thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by humanbeingincroydon, Apr 16, 2015.

1. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

NFL News:

The planned NFL game in Mexico City (Rams vs Chiefs) has been cancelled and moved back to the US because of concerns regarding the playing surface.

Given similar pitch problems at Wembley and Twickenham, the existence of a purpose built surface at Tottenham Hotspur ST/\DIUM means that it is even more likely to become 'the only game in town' (I wonder if that will get picked up by The Advertising Standards Agency?). This all makes any outstanding sponsorship arrangements a lot more likely to be resolved.

Sometimes waiting is the best policy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What's wrong with Twickenham?

3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Too far from Mexico

remembercolinlee and deedub93 like this.
  4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Well for one thing the fans who usually go there only know one bleedin' song which only tends to get an airing if England are leading by a minimum of ten points in the last five minutes...

remembercolinlee likes this.
  5. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

Mrs B went there earlier this year on a bit of a corporate junket. They got a tour of the stadium thrown in, including the head groundsman talking to them. When asked about the NFL usage, he was scathing about the damage that it caused to the pitch and that there was no chance of any sharing arrangement. Playing 1 game is bad enough, playing about 10 in a 5 month window, during the rugby union season is not going to happen.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  7. "Thanks for that Brian"

There's been a lot of debate on SSC about the West Stand's external look. It's been interesting to read those who are regular visitors to the stadium who write that this view represents a false view of the stadium because it's one that none of us will ever see once this camera is removed.

There's no getting away from the fact that from this vantage point, the screen currently looks a very odd shape and way off centre when set against the club crest on the on the other side of the entrance. However when viewed from the High Road, apparently, it looks a lot less incongruous and the 'missing corner' of the screen is far less of an issue. I hope that's so and/or we're getting a big bag of cash for the change.

It'll be interesting to see what the screen is used to show. Will it be content specially made to fit such a screen - i.e. advertising for the ST/\DIUM sponsor or will it also include significant amount of highlights?

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  8. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as fine as our new stadium is/will be for odd-ball football, it is 11km further away from Mexico City than Twickenham is. Mexico City to Tottenham is 8,928km as the crow flies (if it's an extremely energetic crow capable of flying in a straight line despite the wind etc.)

Spurf likes this.
  9. humanbeingincroydon

10. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

11. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

I'm not the most arty-farty person in the world but methinks that 90M for a painting is the only thing more ridiculous than 200M on a footballer. I can get a local for $300 to paint my whole house in Rwanda.

12. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Looks finished!

14. humanbeingincroydon

I'm sticking with my belief that the South Stand is where the problems lie, what with the seats being installed a good six weeks after the other stands were finished coupled with footage that shows the bars are still being built, even though the West Stand bars were operational back in August

15. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Looks like there is still seats to go in at the back?

16. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

The main issue is the electrical systems, fire alarms and lighting . No safety certificates no games

17. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

Chris Cowlin on duty even on the international break

Spurf and Rocky blue army like this.
  18. "Thanks for that Brian"

Despite being very light on anything substantial amounting to evidence, thiis article robably isn't far from the reality of most locals' views of our continued use of Wembley. I'd be surprised if we got any more full stadium events this season and had we originally gone for 2 seasons there and tried to have full stadium events at the level of last season, we'd have failed.

The locals don't want a club playing there, the councillors know it and and Chelsea know it too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ley-welcome-council-feel-pressure-locals.html

19. "Thanks for that Brian"

As part of my daily trawl through SSC (it's not the joy that it once was), I came across this article from the excellent poster, Norskire who is extremely well informed on local matters and will be on the money here, so the HRW development is back on...

"Lendlease, who had threatened to sue Haringey Council over the council's abandonment of the greater HDV scheme, yesterday capitulated (or "reached a settlement" as their PR people put it) and have settled for the option of being restricted to the HRW scheme - which is therefore back on track now and scheduled to begin "imminently" (according to one Council member who wished to remain anonymous when interviewed yesterday). The reason for this anonymity wish is most likely because the whole issue of resettlement and compensation for the High Road businesses affected, 24 of whom now face sudden eviction again and probably as early as between now and Christmas, has yet to be even brought up at council and - to be honest - Lendlease's track record when it comes to how they go about this issue doesn't auger well for small business owners caught between them realising a profit and hope of a fair hearing.

But that aside, it means that the greater stadium area redevelopment is now about to go into sudden overdrive and we can expect a flurry of planning applications related to the demolition of the Love Lane buildings which, I'm told, will be regarded as "phase one" of the project. By the time the stadium itself opens for business it could well be the case that anyone coming in via White Hart Lane station will be funnelled down the lane as the only pedestrian approach from that side for quite a while yet. It is also anticipated that redevlopment of the High Road frontage will necessitate closing pedestrian access to that side of the street for a very long period too."

I appreciate that there's more than one side to this and long-standing businesses will close, including Chick King, but for the club's plans this is an enormous leap forward. In its current state, it was hard to see an NFL franchise being too keen on setting up home in the stadium's surroundings and it left the hotel and premium flats very isolated.

With the HRW development back on, the plan is very much back on track and following the Wembley sale collapse, a huge further boost to the club's current and future investment in the area. For those keen to see the departure of ENIC, any future sale of the club will be massively more likely in the light of this development. Future investment will aalmost certainly come from outsidethe UK and Europe and such investors will want to see surroundings befitting a multi-billion pound investment.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  20. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

What's with all the initials? I get PR but please explain HDV & HRW. I expect they will be blindingly obvious when explained but right now I don't know what you are talking about.
    The growing use of initials (once again following moronic USA fashions) is becoming a nuisance. In work I do it takes more time to follow all the initials than anything else. The only person who saves time is the person delivering the information, everyone else has to waste time trying to understand what it's all about. Read an article in the Guardian and I am going back and forth to work out what the latest initials refer to. We all use them but overuse and they are a pain FFS.