1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New stadium thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by humanbeingincroydon, Apr 16, 2015.

1. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

Its a niche as I said. Its not going to become a major sport over here.

2. UnitedinRed

I guess. A few extra million a year is a few extra million.

3. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

The NFL isn't trying to launch as a 4 tier professional sport with over 1,800 games a season, it's hosting 4-6 games a year in the UK so it doesn't need to be that popular. Football in America has increased in popularity more rapidly than the NFL would need to(assuming they're already running NFL games inline with demand, which they're not).

You don't need to have huge popularity to sell 61,000 seats 2/3 times a year, you need less than .1% of the population wanting to go.

4. No Kane No Gain

Well yeah, we can't all react to a £40mill loss(no CL) by spending £160mill to get back into the top 4, or have an egotistical billionaire throw money at the club.

crackerman jack likes this.
  5. UnitedinRed

Its just a gimmick then really. Not necessary but does make Spurs unique.

Welcome to Tottenham Hotspur! Home of American Football in Europe!

6. UnitedinRed

This isnt going to help with that either.

7. No Kane No Gain

Oh ffs, have I just wasted my time trying to argue a point with Matth? Nevermind <laugh>

8. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

Wembley generates £10m for each NFL game played.

We're showing 2 games a season so that "few million" is actually almost £20m

9. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Presumably a large part of the thinking here isn't about American Handegg becoming big out here, it's more about Football becoming massive out there.

That has certainly been the pattern of many strategic decisions at Spurs over the past few seasons: Bale becoming the poster boy for NBC sports coverage, that hilarious spoof video with Ted Lasso, Brad being appointed ambassador to the USA.
    By any conceivable measure, soccer in the USA is growing exponentially. The flow of big name EPL players moving over there for one last fat pay-cheque has grown steadily from a sporadic trickle to a reliable flow. As much as I loath Lampard and Slippy G, they are big names in English football. The recent success of the US women's team will also serve to raise the sport's profile tremendously.

A friend of mine living and working out in Washington as a soccer coach for semi-professional teams sent me a few articles recently that all add up to the same point: We (the EPL) cannot underestimate the impact of a large, affluent and sports-crazed market such as the USA.

Major League attendance is now growing on average 15-20% per season; the creation of new franchises in New York and Miami (once Beckham gets planning permission) also indicate a rapidly growing increase in interest. Baseball - the most attended sport in the country - sells an average 70 million individual tickets per season. That's a frighteningly large number - basically the entire population of the UK. Imagine building soccer towards that level of popularity and the revenue that would create.

Now, I would guess that the team most clueless Yanks would choose to follow would be the ones based down the road from the Queen, with a well-known and well-liked ambassador, who happen to be the only club in the EPL who regularly hosts NFL games.

Surely your own yankee owners recognise this?

10. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

First, good to meet you, Citizen Kane. I agree it’s an excellent moniker and avatar.

It certainly would be terrible for us if the NFL paid for a chunk of our stadium and then disappeared. The punch line to that would be Levy finding a buyer willing to shell out big money for assorted only-used-on-Sundays NFL stuff.

11. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

This is deffo a wum now, i'm out

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It's been a great couple of days for the club, first off we had Bentaleb and Winks pen long term deals, then announced the Alderweireld signing and finally topped it off with the new stadium design and plans. Looks bloody amazing and love the 17,000 strong stand, that will be insane, hopefully we could emulate the Yellow Wall of Borussia Dortmund to create an unbelievable atmosphere. I finally got my season ticket last week so I'm hoping that will put me in a good position to get a decent spot amongst that when seating options become available.

13. UnitedinRed

Thats the world these days, everyone assumes everything is a wum. Much like how every retard alive thinks everything is a conspiracy.

I blame the internet.

14. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for the internet, then who would you rant to? Because i'm sure your friends and family wouldn't put up with the drivel you spout on here.

Dier Hard likes this.
  15. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Goons are showing their usual levels of bitterness, sour grapes, and inability to not talk about us by saying the new stadium looks like a toilet seat.

It hasn't occurred to them that all oval stadiums, such as the Emirates, look like a toilet seat - but that certainly puts Jack Wilshere into context...

16. UnitedinRed

True, I don't know anyone who would be interested in discussing Tottenham. In fact, I doubt they know who you are.

17. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

When an Arsenal colleague of mine mentioned the same I told him that the Emirates smells like a toilet, probably due to all the **** their fans spout

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  18. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

and yet you do. we are honoured

19. UnitedinRed

Ive heard about you. Only rumours though.

20. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Richard Scudamore has made several stupid comments about the options we have when WHL shuts down for a season.
    “They would have to play in a single stadium for an entire year for the integrity of the competition,”
    “You cannot have 19 home games with 10 at Milton Keynes and nine at Wembley. That is completely, completely unfair. That will not be allowed in our competition.”
    “They know the rules and what we require. They have to provide a stadium. We can’t have a fettered fixture list.
    “Clubs have to be able to deliver 19 home games in the slots that are required. So, if they share with a rugby league club, we cannot be fettered as to when they can play.
    “They have to work it out with Wembley or wherever they want to play, and decide if they could deliver that level of commitment to us.”

He even went on to suggest sharing with the Goons, despite clearly knowing that this is an extremely unlikely possibility:
    “Premier League fixtures are paired so Liverpool and Everton, Tottenham and Arsenal and Manchester United and Manchester City do not play at home on the same weekend, so it is perfectly possible to have two teams playing in one stadium.
    “You might very well argue that in some circumstances that would be desirable but I do know the reasons why it would be difficult.”

First off, why's he shouting his mouth off about it? I'm sure that the club are aware of the rules, so why the public rant?
    Secondly, why on earth would it be unfair to play games at different grounds? Surely it's a disadvantage to the home side, if anything?
    Lastly, if we did move to Wembley, then there's no reason why we'd have to split our games and also play at MK Dons.
    Any event that the stadium is used for that only uses the lower tiers (50,000 capacity) doesn't count towards their number of major events allowed their.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...and-make-wembley-temporary-home-10028281.html

Overall, what a pillock. Does he ever do anything but embarrass his organisation?