1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Newcastle United: The Selling Club

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco

A good read

Here's the link; http://www.nufcblog.org/2011/05/newcastle-united-the-selling-club/

And for those who cannot see, here's the full article;

If we were to listen to the naysayers and those in desperate need of a long course of anti-depressants, the starting XI will be gone come the summer transfer window.

We have always been a selling club, will always be a selling club and unless Ashley leaves, we will remain a selling club. After all, the proof is in the pudding and so far Ashley is just looking to line his pocket with gold. A nugget of truth that somehow ties into todays gutless performance – everybody is for sale. Or something.

The fact is, we aren’t. I know, it’s incredible to think that, but we aren’t a selling club. This season we have sold Andy Carroll.

No, that isn’t a pause for dramatic effect; that’s actually the only sale we’ve had this season. Yes, players have been sent on loan. Yes, players are ‘rumoured’ to be leaving, but if paper talk was 100% true then we’d have Messi and Ronaldo roaming the midfield with Podolski knocking in 80 goals a season and a bench made up of Gervhinho, Hulk, Robben and Shola Ameobi.

I know, I know. Shola Ameobi playing in black and white? Surely a dream come true!

Some fans have really shown their colours since that fateful day at Villa Park. Since Keegan’s departure and relegation, a lot of fans have shown the plastic that lays beneath their black and white face paint, and frankly it’s disgusting. A sale of a player is no longer “a player looking for pastures new” as it’s all money going into Mike Ashley’s pocket.

“But Thump! What about last season! We sold lots of players last season and what happened to the money for those transfers?!”

We sold lots of players last season, yes. We were just relegated and we needed to lighten up the wage bill. The famous ‘dressing room chat’ that Kevin Nolan headed in which it was asked of those who did not want to be at the club, simply, to leave.

Beye, Bassong, Martins et al. Beye wanted to leave and can’t get a game at Villa. Bassong shone in an average team; every time I’ve watched him at Spurts, he looks very much out of his depth. Martins is an interesting case though. He claims he did not want to leave and was asked to leave by the officials in order to lighten up the wage bill but if he wanted to stay so much, wouldn’t he have accepted a wage cut?

Of course he wouldn’t. Martins is, was and forever will be a big spender and has a history of debt and court orders. Can you honestly see him in a Championship team, accepting a wage cut? He’s currently been sent back to Rubin Kazan due to an injury, and it appears Mr. McLeish hasn’t thought about signing him up on a permanent deal come the summer.

Let’s talk about the man of the moment – a Mr. Andy Carroll. When we saw him making more and more appearances under Alan Shearer, we were excited about this young prospect. A lanky striker who wasn’t afraid to attack and put his body on the line to prevent a potential goal. The first time he caught my attention was in the closing minutes of a game in which he blocked a shot shortly after coming on and immediately going on the offence and taking a shot on himself.

Then came the Championship season. He began to show the power, strength and brute force under Chris Hughton, as he managed to net 19 times in all competitions. The following season he was granted the famous number 9, and questions were asked of him. He has a strong personality and took it on. Cue the “it’s always been a dream of mine” speech and how much he “loves his hometown club” patter. As well as one of the most famous numbers in football, he was also given a handy new contract on which he bought a rolling petrol bomb new car.

Next thing we know, he’s off to Liverpool for £35 million with not so much as a goodbye.

The story as we know it is that he was called into the office, had the situation explained to him and demanded that Newcastle increase his contract or he leaves. The rest is history.

At the same time as we watched Carroll land in a helicopter and being taken for his medical, we were made aware of texts between him and a certain Steve Wraith.

Please take note of “I was pushed out of the door”.

I’m probably beginning to sound like a broken record, but if he was ‘pushed out of the door’, why did he agree terms? Why didn’t he simply say “no” and leave it as that?

Also, what happened to the interview he wanted to give? When asked at the press conference, he simply said “I’d rather not comment”, or something to that effect.

Either the lanky streak is lying, or Steve Wraith is lying, and wants to get his website some hits. (Hint: it’s the latter.)

The simple fact is, Andy is gone. He had the power to stay at Newcastle and he heard the cash registers. Are we a selling club? Of course we aren’t, we have made one ludicrous sale that has left us with a difficult end to the season.

Will we get £35 million to spend in the summer? Of course not. That money is for transfers, wages and the agents cut of the deal – it’s not as simple as “money for transfers”. Will Enrique be on his way in the summer? Perhaps, but again – that does not make us a selling club. If he wants to go, then let him go – no player is bigger than the club. Especially our club.

Forget about all the problems we have with Ashley, Pardew and whoever else. There is no Tottenham conspiracy. Ashley is not trying to take us down into the Conference and Pardew is not spunking his money back into Ashley’s purse. Do you know why? Because it’s bloody stupid to think that any man would treat his business, his investment, with such nonchalance.

A selling club is a team who sells it’s assets to stay afloat. Southampton is a selling club – Newcastle are attracting the likes of Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheik Tioté.

We’re the 12th man and we’re here through thick and thin. We’re the ones cheering the players on even when we’re 4-0 down to a top Premiership side.

This is our club. The manager doesn’t matter. The owner doesn’t matter. The players are the ones who need us, so let’s do what we do best and make some noise for our black and white warriors.

Howay the lads!

2. tommytoonAA

tommytoonAA Active Member

Good article. Don't really have anything else to add to that!!

3. why aye jims eye

That's all that needs said

4. beardface

beardface Active Member

Cheers for linking this. Probably wouldn't have read it otherwise.

R-r-r-r-r-rep!

5. Badgers Assemble

Badgers Assemble Well-Known Member

Great article.

6. ThrillerinAsprilla

ThrillerinAsprilla Active Member

A very good read, especially the bit about Carroll, the lying lanky streak of piss

7. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

Make good points but can't agree about us not being a selling club the figures since Ashley came in suggest otherwise and yes that means Arsenal are a selling club 2, but that has been more to accommodate their move to the Emirates and is the reason they haven't won anything.

8. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Lets see what happens come the summer. I remain unconvinced...

9. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh Active Member

Well we'll know if were a selling club or not by the beginning of September.

10. Sir Bobby

Sir Bobby Active Member

I think we'll have to wait til the summer. Let's face it until then we're only guessing whether we'll be a selling club or not. I feel no, but I don't think we'll give a statement of intent by signing truly class players

11. Hatem Is A Geordie

Hatem Is A Geordie Active Member

As we have said before, this summer will be a pivotal point for us to either become a selling club or to push on up the league in the next few years. All we can do is sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

12. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

It's a positive and rallying article which is exactly what's needed right now - we're going nowhere fast for the rest of this season and as many have mentioned, the summer will be the real acid test.

An influx of quality players to bolster our hopelessly-short-of-quality squad? Or another host of "...we tried to sign XXXX but we couldn't do it in the end..." and the usual flurry of activity that includes Mike Ashley flying in to Newcastle in his helicopter on transfer deadline day... <doh>...

13. Jesus Was A Geordie

Jesus Was A Geordie Well-Known Member

Agree entirely!

14. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

<yikes>...

<cheers>...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.