1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Newcastle Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Feels like a defeat, should have been out of sight after 30 minutes. Second half, too many wrong passes in the final third.

2. Norwayleedsforever

Norwayleedsforever Well-Known Member

Well maybe the Leeds fans no can see that Alioski was a lot better than they thought:emoticon-0148-yes:

foolee, SIDDAS, southernwhite and 3 others like this.
  3. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

We should have buried the game in the first half, weren’t exactly hanging on at the end but can’t really argue too much with draw.

a lot of guys looking leggy by the end, rod doesn’t normally last a full game, klich first game back etc

Bit of a concern that we’re all out of defenders

4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He did indeed but prior to that he had given Cooper and Firpo a nightmare

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  5. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If any of them had hit it like Maximim we’d have scored

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  6. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

He certainly brought a can-do never say die approach, which seems to be lacking right now.

7. CreativeMenace

CreativeMenace Active Member

Firpo really reminds me of Carlton Palmer

Makemstine Roger and ristac like this.
  8. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think it reflects more just how poor Firpo is. He doesn’t even close a player down, he gives them space and does the hands behind the back go on then shoot stance. I’m amazed Bielsa left him on, I lost count how many times he was out of position. I disagree with an earlier comment too, I thought Summerville did okay with limited time

9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the majority of us realise now, this season is going to be fight for survival. Someone said the other day we’ve started this season like they expected us to start last season.

My major concern is Newcastle we’re very poor, we’d have definitely won that game last season. I still can’t believe we didn’t bury that game first half.

10. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Meslier - 9. Couple of world class saves. Held on to everything that came his way. Couple of passes went astray but this kid will go all the way in his career if he stays injury free.

Dallas - 4. Looked out of his depth. Turned and beaten for pace on more than one occasion and was sloppy in possession. Never really added anything as an attacking full back. Out of form.

Ayling - 5. Too many individual errors. Failed to challenge too often. Went off injured. The one positive is that he never stopped talking and encouraging those around him. Out of form.

Cooper - 4. Another struggle. Completely bossed in the first half by anyone in a black and white shirt. Improved second half when he decided to challenge people. Out of form.

Firpo - 3. Hasn't settled as yet. Constantly lost the ball in risky situations and was lost defensively. Outmuscled, out jumped, out paced, out thought. Not a good start to his career here.

Phillips - 9. Fantastic yet again. Broke up play. Played some lovely passes. Nearly scored. He is becoming a 9 out of 10 every week.

Klich - 6. Difficult to score as he did alot of good things. Shots were weak as piss though and he was also sloppy in possession at times. Looks better than he did second half of last season.

Rodrigo - 8. Given the pressure he was under after recent performances he really shone tonight. Some great positions, great passes, great dummy for the goal. I think if he can replicate that in the next couple of games and get a goal he could really kick on.

Raphinha - 8. Obviously carrying a knock. Got fingered in the eye. Scored a goal. Had both full backs on toast. Sloppy in front of goal though.

James - 6. Couple of decent touches but clearly needs to understand the system more.

Bamford - 5. Got an assist. Had a shot in the first minute. Won a free kick. Missed a sitter. That was about it I think. Very quiet.

Subs.

Roberts - 6. Looked lively. Needs to move it quicker. A real mysterious pass near the end to nobody at all. Still waiting for that end product.

Summerville - 6. Looked a bit nervous. Played it quite safe. Neat and tidy in tight places. Hopefully the first of many appearances for the lad. Certainly not out of his depth.

Shackleton - 6. Injected a real burst of energy when introduced. Looks like he believes in his ability a bit more this season. I like the fact he came on and tried to run the game.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    FORZA LEEDS, ristac and Gessa like this.

11. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

2nd time I've seen the boys live in the flesh this season and they aren't a patch on last season. Our backline is woeful. Firpo dear me bring back Alioski his defending and positioning is dreadful he's like a rabbit in the flashlight.
    This current back 4 will be food and drink to any decent team. Newcastle had 1 player Maxy and he alone tortured them and got them a point. One thing I have noticed this season and again tonight against a awful Newcastle team we can't create anything for our number 9. Every shot we had was powder puff. Once Rapha went off so did our chance of winning. Very disappointed because these are fookin dreadful Newcastle.
    I don't slag many but Tyler Roberts is a joke there I said it. prancing around like little lord fontleroy with touches and flicks like an elephant. Tries but has no ability some of his crossing tonight into the box I could of done better.
    Ayling was knackered not Injured another who is struggling seems married life has broken him.

12. NostradEmus

Llorente and Struijk are the answer at CB. It's a shame we can't pick em.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  13. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I'd blame a bit of St Philip's and Jr more Imo.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  14. Irishshako

I've said it pre season that our crisp passing isn't there. We should of won this by halftime. A point is the only positive.<ok>

15. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

Never wanted him to go. Always worked his nads off and towards the end of last season he was brilliant. Always got the ball out of defence quickly and willing to get forward to overlap. He was our dynamo.

16. NostradEmus

Can we talk about yet another stone wall penalty not given or even looked at by VAR. I thought VAR might have helped us after all the biased refereeing we have seen in the EFL but apparently not. Surely we have to lodge a complaint. Its not the first time.

17. Irishshako

I agree. Always was a fan and couldn't understand the stick he got at times from the experts on social media.<ok>

18. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Married life has broken him.......he is in s big club then <laugh>

19. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

I think there was 2 penalty decisions that went against us.
    Pointless lodging any complaint mate.

20. Irishshako

A bit like VAR

esteponawhite likes this.