1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Newcastle v Norwich

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by SuffolkCanary, Nov 29, 2021.

?

Who will win this one?

1. Norwich Win

50.0%
  2. Newcastle Win

6.3%
  3. Draw

43.8%
  1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I agree, but it was inconsistent not to at least check the handball committed by the Newcastle player when Tzolis headed it goalwards (which was barely any difference in distance and the hand was away from the body) and not to check the clear handball (actually an elbow) used to block Idah’s shot - especially as that was then not even awarded as a corner…

DHCanary likes this.
  2. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Stat attack

Screenshot_20211201-094029_Google.jpg

Canary Rob likes this.
  3. Canary Rob

4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I'm feeling better about the game this morning. We didn't play well much of the time, but Pukki's goal was one of his best considering the power and accuracy of it. Game plans on both sides were affected by the sending off. We had set up for a counter-attacking emphasis with Tzolis and Sargent supporting Pukki, but this was blunted as 10 man Newcastle focused on defence and occasional counter-attacks.

Tzolis and Sargent did manage to get to get behind the defence occasionally but we had the wrong players for Newcastle's changed tactics. Smith addressed this by replacing Tzolis with Lees-Melou who is more suited to attacking set defences. Idah came on for Sargent for the same reason, but was less effective. It was replacing the tiring Williams with Giannoulis that made the breakthrough though as he provided the cross for Pukki's excellent goal. Lees-Melou almost provided a winner near the end but was denied by Dubravka's outstretched leg.

The substitutions were good and made the difference in the end, as to lose against 10 men would have been horrific. As it is, we pick up an away point, move up to 18th and stay 3 points ahead of Newcastle and 3 points from safety with Watford now the target. They host Chelsea tonight and Burnley are at Wolves while Villa play ManCity.

Smith's post match interview:

https://www.norfolklive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dean-smith-norwich-newcastle-draw-6285012

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  5. Canary Rob

I agree with the aim being to be above Villa - I think if we finish above Villa, we will definitely not be in the bottom three. Alternative target is above Leeds. I think the lowest either of those clubs will likely finish is 18th, so they are the target. There is a very realistic chance of them finishing 13th-15th, in which case we are aiming high, which is good.

This time a month ago, we were eight points from safety (and from Leeds), bottom of the table, no wins.

Now we are two places higher (albeit Burnley have games in hand), only three points from safety and five points from Leeds.

Weirdly that's despite having lost to Watford and Leeds and drawn with Burnley and Newcastle. Second half of the season we need six-eight points from those four matches.

6. DUNCAN DONUTS

7. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

They would have been routinely checked by the VAR, the difference presumably being that VAR saw no reason to invite the ref to take another look.

8. DUNCAN DONUTS

Yes we know how V.A.R works but the Tzolis header was a more obvious hand ball than Gilmore's.

Either give both or give neither it's a total farce if the viewers at home can rewind Amazon video and see that a handball was commited but V.A.R subjectively ignore it.

These decisions don't even out over a season and little relegation fodder clubs like us will continue to get shafted.

It was nice listening to Shearer constantly bitch about how poor Norwich are and that's why we don't score bla bla bla then Pukki made him eat his words .

I hope Newcastle get relegated almost as much as I want us to survive.

The vulgar blood money from Saudi Arabia will be used to buy their way out of trouble but for the good of Sport I hope it's not enough .

9. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Agree, but Gilmore did jump as if he was asking the teacher a question

10. Canary Rob

Thanks Einstein, you have missed the point

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

The Newcastle defender had his arm outstretched and palmed Tzolis's goal bound shot away .

We didn't even get a corner

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  12. Canary Rob

I actually thought the Idah one was even worse. We got one replay and it was clear even from that a goal bound shot was saved by a sliding defender’s outstretched elbow - that’s essentially being a goalkeeper. And we didn’t get a corner.

And I’m not even convinced it was checked - at least with the Tzolis one they said it was reviewed.

zogean_king and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  13. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that too, but the commentators were silent about it

14. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Next few games are:

Spurs away
    Man Utd home
    Aston Villa home
    West Ham away
    Arsenal home
    Crystal Palace away

Where are the points coming from in these matches?

15. DUNCAN DONUTS

As we didn't win I cancelled my Amazon membership and got a refund, maybe I'll join again next time we play <laugh>

16. NorthCityCanary

NorthCityCanary Active Member

Having watched the match last night on Prime over dodgy hotel wifi a few thoughts:
    I really don't see what McLean brings to the party. over PLM or Sorenson; Sorenson would at least allow Rupp to play further upfield.
    Sargent is way out of his depth and I'd question what was seen in him to offer £8m or even £8? reminds me of a couple of Brighton's strikers from a couple of seasons ago....couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.
    Movement movement movement or the lack of it! could have thrown a blanket over our 'front' 6 last night. Also is there an end of season bonus point award for the # of backwards and square passes between the backline, I was getting ready to throw my laptop out the window :emoticon-0121-angry:cry:
    We also seem to have lost drive, lost count on the number of times Williams or Aarons faced the last defender and rather than busting a gut to cross from the byline turned back and went square or to the CBs.

Positives:
    Pukki seems to still have his finishing boots
    We gained another point from going behind
    We didn't lose to the world's most expensive barcode
    Idah made an impact, not convinced he's good enough up top, but as a wide player.....
    No loss in 4!

Much improvement required ahead of Sunday's trip. Anyone know how long Normann is out for?

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  17. Robbie BB

No, you have both missed MY point. If you disagree with the officials you should cite the relevant rule and its interpretation and show why, when applied in the specific case, they were wrong. Neither of you do anything to justify your opinion and neither of you seem remotely interested in why the officials ruled as they did. Nor do you seem to contemplate the possibility that, contrary to what you think, the referee and VAR were correct.

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

Referees never make mistakes V.A.R is the law.

Do not question anything <laugh>

19. Robbie BB

Question. If the defender "palmed Tzolis's goal bound shot away", how come it would have ended up in the net if the goalkeeper hadn't saved it?

20. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Taking pace of the shot should still be illegal if contact is made. It's strange that minutes were taken over Gilmour's hand ball query but there was no apparent VAR check on that one or video replays. Until the use of VAR is consistent there will always be distrust. As in other sports, there should be a clear indication that a VAR check has been made before the game continues. Assumptions that 'routine checks' have happened are not enough to remove the distrust.

carrowcanario likes this.