1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Newcomers

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Horsham_Tiger, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Horsham_Tiger

Horsham_Tiger Well-Known Member

Things are changing very quickly around here. I've said this on the sharp thread.

There's an awful lot of new players which will take 5 - 10 games to bed in:

Amos

Bruce Faye Chester

Elmo Evans Koren Oli Quinn

Aluko Proschwitz

I've include Oli as a "newish" player.

Compare that to:

Mannone

Rosenior Chester Hobbs Dawson

Stewart McKenna Evans Brady

Koren

Fryatt

2. roseniorhisgranisfromhull

roseniorhisgranisfromhull Well-Known Member

If your first team is our regular starting XI then I'll be pissed off.
    I'd hope for (when everyone's fit):
    Amos
    Rosenior Chester Hobbs Dudgeon
    Elmo Koren Evans Aluko
    Prozzy Fryatt

However, if you're right, and we play that 3-5-2 with those players, I'd say we were weaker than last season.

3. Davies Headband

Davies Headband Well-Known Member

I agree, the team with 442 is so much better than 532, there is no need for a defence as good as our to have an extra man, it's just plain unnecessary, espeically when we have such problems scoring goals.

4. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

It's funny how negative people call it 5-3-2 and positive people call it 3-5-2. I wonder what Bruce sees it as.

5. City1904

City1904 Well-Known Member

Probably both depending on the situation, the system has to be fluid but it hasn't been.

Completely agree, unfortunately we don't know our best team, something we are struggling with at the moment and that doesn't come over night, and we really do need something in that midfield to so i think some more maybe coming.

6. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

i didnt make charlton as i was stuck on the motorway, but from the brief highlights i saw on the FLS, rosenior and dudgeon where furthest forward in each attack they showed, looked positive to me, but highlights can be deceiving..

7. BigotAlertAnalRimMan

I'm a bit worried for the likes of dudgeon and rosenior , don't want the mood in the club to change with regular players being benched and playing second fiddle... when they'd been fan favourites

8. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

When it's Rosenior and Dudgeon out wide, they're not midfielders are they? That's why I call it 5-3-2. If we played that system with two wingers then I'd start calling it 3-5-2.

I'd have liked to see more new players to be honest. Most of the players we've signed have just replaced other players leaving the squad, we haven't increased the depth at all.

9. BigotAlertAnalRimMan

i don't understand why we're playing 3-5-2 with players that have never plkayed like that in the past... dudgeon and rosenior can't cross the ball or beat their men so why is Bruce thinking they can.

10. Davies Headband

I don't care what he sees it as, 5 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 strikers is 532.

11. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This

It always used to be 532, right through to the late 90s (Hoddle with England in France 98 was 532). It only became 352 at the same time that 451 started becoming 433 just because Chelsea were playing it and it sounded more exciting for the media selling the PL to say they had 3 up top. It's only 3 up top when it's 3 players through the middle, otherwise they're playing wingers and wingers are midfielders.

12. tigercity

tigercity Well-Known Member

When you watch the first half vs Donny, you'd have to say it was working, we dominated possession & both strikers scored. which negates your argument. So I don't see SB wavering from it.

Having the extra man increases possession thereby decreasing pressure on the defence.

13. tigercity

you're all amiss with the system

it's 3-5-2 when we are attacking
    it's 5-3-2 when we are defending

Dudgeon & Stewart were playing as WING BACKS at Donny

get it now?

14. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We're not amiss with it at all. If it were two out and out wingers then it would be 5 in midfield. When it's defenders with a licence to get forward when we have possession it's 5 at the back. There are other differences between a 532 and a 352 relating to the duties of the outside centre backs and the central midfielders which confirm what we've been playing as a 532 but I've no real desire at this time of night to start going into it. When we have Koren on the point of a central 3 rather than playing in a flat 3 you can take it as an attacking 532 but that's as attacking as it should be described.

15. tigercity

I agree the formation missed a Koren type as Simpson was going back deep to get the ball.. when Torres wasn't scoring at Chelsea he was doing the same.. we need a Koren in there to create and the strikers need to be in the box..

16. BigotAlertAnalRimMan

Koren is not the answer, he went completely amiss against charlton, that's what he does, doesn't seem interested at times.

17. Davies Headband

When the wing backs are defenders then its 5 at the back. If it was elmo and Quinn/ Aluko as the wide players then it would be 352.

18. kccircle

kccircle Well-Known Member

Not really sure what you have brought to that table that gives you the insight to have any input to team formation

19. Horsham_Tiger

Horsham_Tiger Well-Known Member

I think I was trying to say don't expect much for another 10 games. Loads of new players need time to gel.

20. Davies Headband