1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic NFL 2020 season

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Sid, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't think I can disagree with you there. I would like to see us finish above the Jets though, I mean come on, that would be low <laugh>

Flash Gordon likes this.
  2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Andy Dalton now looking for a new team. No great surprise.

Flash Gordon likes this.
  3. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

Dalton will be leading the Pats in the AFC championship game, nailed on.

4. Flash Gordon

Clowney is hanging around for a while mind! I'm still hoping the Browns can get him signed.

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Browns got plenty of cap space?

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Could the pats afford him?

7. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

I don't know, I just don't think BB is interested in any other QB and will sit with Stid next season and see how it goes. He passed on Love in the draft and could have had Winston at the deal he's gone to New Orleans on and clearly doesn't want Cam either.

I like Clowney, think he's a top player but something just doesn't sit right with him and the time he's been sat on the shelf. Has to be how he values himself as opposed to how teams do. He's had his injury issues and he's gonna have to re-evaluate himself before he gets a team IMO.

8. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

Simple answer is not a chance. We can't afford the draft picks let alone anything else!

Sid likes this.
  9. Kittenmittons

Kittenmittons Well-Known Member

I really don't think Dalton will go to the Pats I agree with Gatesy on that.

The Pats have had 2 top 10 picks in the draft since Belichick took over. They got lucky with Brady but he took over from a first overall pick in Drew Bledsoe (who BB inherited) and I think ultimately they need draft capital because this is the first time in Belichick's career at NE that he's needed to draft a starting QB.

You can plug Dalton, Cam or Jameis in and sure maybe you finish 8-8, scrape the playoffs, then what? Does anyone honestly think that team is going to win a SB? Nah. Even if they did, it's not a long term solution because none of those players comes without a huge cap hit and they all have played so long in the league that they will never buy totally into the PATRIOT WAY.

So I think he's going to stick with Stidham, and their best case scenario is that he's another Brady/Jimmy G. Their worst case scenario is that he's terrible, in which case Hoyer steps in to seamlessly guide them to a top 3 pick next season.

Anything in the middle of those outcomes complicates the next 5 years quite a lot.

Gatesy likes this.
  10. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

A top 3 pick, can you imagine :emoticon-0106-cryin I would get to see what life is like being my older brother... A SAFC and Redskins supporter :emoticon-0121-angry

Kittenmittons likes this.

11. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

Another story from yesterday outlining scouts views as well as Patriots views on Stidham. Basically, if he'd gone this year he would have been a first rounder. Definitely rated higher than Love and possibly even Herbert.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...he-patriots-didnt-draft-a-quarterback-in-2020

And if you do read the above, the link to Auburn vs Alabama 2017 game is below. Funnily enough, Jalen Hurts played for Bama in that game and Stidham looks the much better player. The game highlights are about 17 minutes but there are shorter highlights on youtube but this shows a bit more of Hurts and I can honestly say I'm glad BB didn't pick him!

Sid, Edelman and Flash Gordon like this.
  12. Kittenmittons

You just see it every year because people rightly obsess about the position. Fans get angry and think that drafting someone, anyone, is better than not drafting anyone.

But that's not true is it? I wonder how many teams look back and think they'd have been better off not drafting the likes of Ponder, Gabbert, Bortles, Geno, Tannehill (in Miami's case) or Rosen, and holding on for a really good QB to become available, or signing a vet until they found a good QB in the draft?

Drafting a QB is unlike any other position because if the guy doesnt work out, you can't rotate them or shift them around. You're either in or you're out, so they have to be perfect and if they're not, it sets you back years, potentially.

Robertson and Gatesy like this.
  13. Flash Gordon

Yeah, I see your point - having a middle of the road QB is worse than having a **** one - Andy Dalton and Derek Carr spring to mind for me.

But I'm not sure all of your examples are great. Arizona took a chance on Rosen who was highly rated. It didn't work and they went back in for Kyler Murray and traded Rosen. Nothing lost. Jags were there own enemies with Bortles because they wouldn't accept that he was ****. If they had just accepted that instead of trying to make a bad situation good, the could have passed on Fournette in the 2017 draft and taken either DeShaun Watson or Mahomes at pick 4.

I think given the importance of the position, it's probably worth drafting any QB you like from round 3 onwards even if you have a QB.

I'm slightly worried that Baker is going to be on the Dalton/Carr scale. He needs to have a big year this season.

14. Kittenmittons

I think the Cards lost out quite big with Rosen. Minkah Fitzpatrick was drafted a pick later, there have been 4 defensive pro-bowlers from that draft after pick 10 where Rosen went and they only got a second rounder in return for Rosen just a year later.

All that stuff adds up and it's why that kind of mistake means you don't just whiff on a QB, you actually make the rest of the team weaker.

Flash Gordon likes this.
  15. Kittenmittons

Agree on Baker. He is make or break this year or he'll end up like my sweet prince Mitch

16. Flash Gordon

Didn't consider it that way to be honest. If you haven't got a QB, you haven't got anything though. Browns drafted Garrett (future HOF) at number 1 in 2017 and then went 0-16.

Kittenmittons and Gatesy like this.
  17. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

I 100% agree with you Flash. Look at the Chiefs when Mahomes was out for a few games, they were distinctly average. Patty Ice comes back and well, you know, the rest is history :emoticon-0106-cryin

Flash Gordon likes this.
  18. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

He looks good in that game I was impressed .
    Quite mobile which seems to be the new QB trait

Gatesy likes this.
  19. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Dalton agreed deal with Dallas ?

20. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

He has, 3m rising to 7m I think it was.

Nice username as well btw. Just bought the new Edelman away jersey :emoticon-0178-rock:

Edelman likes this.