1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic NHS

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Roland Deschain, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

What is the country added an optional layer of (effectively) elitism within the NHS - not total privatisation, just paid-for preferential treatment lower than typical private health insurance - that ensures the wealthy can and therefore would pay for better NHS services. The wider NHS would benefit enormously from parts of it not being privatised, but being preferential. I'm talking about things like corrective surgery, superficial treatments that are free on private, can be done by the NHS but won't because they "can't afford it".

I mean, it's not like elitism doesn't exist. The wealthy are already throwing billions at Nuffield, BUPA, etc. Why not claim back some of the middle-England wealth and recycle into NHS services? Typically i'd imagine the overall costs from Middle England are lesser than those of the breadline (broad generalisation, might be wrong). But the lower classes and impoverished need the NHS and it needs to be better. They can't keep hiking taxes, so why not offer better service if someone's willing to pay?

2. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Good idea.

It’s ****e that private healthcare as well as paying for it in the first place is treat as a benefit in kind and you have to pay again through the tax code.

By effectively option out of parts of the NHS you shouldn’t be penalised. They should actually give tax breaks for folks with private health to encourage more to opt out.

This will then place less strain on the NHS.

3. Roland Deschain

Don't get me wrong, the fact it's public sector and a bigger administrative balls-up than anything else known to mankind is probably a bit of a problem. But there can be no other public service quite in need of help as the NHS.

Albert's Chip Shop likes this.
  4. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

You won't need it after Brexit,£350m a week into the NHS coffers,happy days.

5. YAJERK

YAJERK Active Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

6. Mowgli311080

Mowgli311080 Member

i'd happily see a surcharge for those that need treatment based on their own actions IE drunk idiots in A&E on a weekend.

7. Dr Van Helsing

Dr Van Helsing Well-Known Member

I hope everyone dies

8. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

We will,eventually.

Munson. and mickeybnufc like this.
  9. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you are wrong but where do you draw the line?
    Break your leg playing sport..... Well that was your choice, sorry.

10. Dr Van Helsing

Dr Van Helsing Well-Known Member

I mean I hoping for the antibiotics to finally stop working and the nhs to have been privatised … that would make my ****ing day

11. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Agree.

12. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Probs use the act of god argument to piss off the atheists.

13. Roland Deschain

Seriously? They can draw a line when driving a car under the influence, same with injury. Breathalysed/drug test, bingo, £250 please.

YAJERK likes this.
  14. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Can appreciate your point but just playing Devils Advocate what if someone injures themselves in a car crash one point over the limit. By your logic they would pay a surcharge. Nice and simple. What if, however, someone was speeding (not able to be proven) by 30 mph over the limit and caused the accident in which he and the person one point over the limit were injured. Drink driver blameless for the accident. Should drink driver pay surcharge?

15. YAJERK

YAJERK Active Member

If it was not able to be proven then the drink driver pays a surcharge for being a drink driving ****, and rightly so.

Anybody who drinks and drives should be met with as many penalties as possible... I think public flogging would be a great start, never mind an NHS fine. Same for proven speeders and tailgaters. These people are potential killers of the innocent and should be humiliated into compliance, or else killed before they do damage to others.

16. Mowgli311080

Mowgli311080 Member

we also get to the very contentious issue of smoking and obesity

17. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

I approve of preferential treatment in the NHS. I also approve of people who earn certain amounts paying for GP visits. Here where I live everyone pays for a doctors visit, £35, no matter how much you earn.

I think the biggest issue facing the NHS is the corruption throughout middle management who have absolutely no qualms with throwing around public money.

The problem is we will not see tangible changes to the NHS. If the Tories sneeze in a hospital they are accused of privatisation, the Labour Party intend absolutely no changes whatsoever, they'd probably advocate for destroyed the private companies we have. The Lib Dems want to simply throw more money at it, didn't they previously suggest a further £8 Billion?

It's a money sink right now, it won't change by throwing more money into the hole.

18. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Aye mate but £35 at Nordic prices is like 3 pints in north Eastern erms so less than £10. So fair ?

19. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

The NHS should be and should always be free at the initial point of access. No two ways about it.

Firstly, stop it being a political football. Secondly, put in a proper and effective management team, national not local. Thirdly, scrap the stupid Trust system and localised funding. Fourthly, stop having so many Chiefs and employ more Indians.

And bring back the”old fashioned” standards.

PS If after the above more funding is needed then raise taxes for everybody.

20. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

That's pretty much it. I don't really care if bits are privatised to make it all more efficient and cheaper to run as long as it is free at point of use.