1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

[Non football] Do you think cricket lose some popularity in England?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by lupaowan, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Derbys have to go somewhere and they have no test ground to service so it's an easy match up and at the end of the day it's really just Lancashire, bollocks to them.

Other than that, there's at least one test ground in each region and the only other ones who might see their arses are Middlesex and Surrey as they don't rub along too well either. The amount of money those two make from the tests though should see them right I reckon.

The 50 over game would have the same regions and the T20 could have all manner of teams and leagues, including Holland and Ireland and Scotland as it does now.

I'm not Tunns by the way, Tunns is Tunns.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Indeed, club cricket is just the one day game. It's superb too, nothing at all to put anyone off playing it.

3. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

Its a sport for the almost dead.

Confirmed by my 102 year old Nan's love of it.

Her and jobless people have 5 days free every other week to go watch test matches.

Played it at school, was boring as hell if I am honest and its even more dull to watch though I've never been to a test match so can't comment on the drinking at the test theory....though a beer garden or a few drinks in the sun would likely be the same.

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand it and was clearly **** at it.

5. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Sorry Rufflad. These name changes **** me up <doh>

6. Red Hadron Collider

This ^ <ok>

7. UnitedinRed

Or someone who thinks its just dull.

Has its moments, 2005 was alright for cricket.

Like rugby its a sport with limited appeal ( not numbers but worldwide appeal ) that's enjoyed primarily by nations who are **** at football.

8. UnitedinRed

I was actually decent btw but never fully took the time to understand.

I was also good at rugby and was very good at cross county. Athletics was also something I was good at.

Hated them all

9. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

Rugby, now there's a sport I could insult all day. Still not the worst though, the two worst are in fact American and been mentioned before as invented by them so they're the best at something. That's American Rugby (refuse to name if after our national sport) and Baseball.

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Well no not really at all, it is limited to the fact it was spread by the commonwealth and so is played and enjoyed in those countries predominantly. Same as rugby.
    It isn't dull.

The reason football has global appeal is that it can quite literally be played anywhere, by anyone, using anything. It's said that it was invented here but that's bollocks I reckon, people have been kicking things about for thousands of years and it all just became streamlined into one set of rules that the whole world share.

Laying your hands on a bat, ball and wickets isn't so straightforward.

11. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I see your point. That isn't always a marker for why you don't enjoy something of course.

I was very good at football but ended up hating playing it but still very much love United and watching it. I can see why some footballers can't stand it, it's their job after all and can become a chore.

Conversely, I was really good at cricket but love it and always regret not being able to play every weekend like I used to.

Was **** at cross country and hated it also!!

12. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

I was ****ing great at rugby. Above average at cricket, terrible at football, amazing at athletics used to run 100, 200, relay and weirdly i did the shot putt.. won the county championships twice in the shot putt came second twice in the county championships over 100m. Represented county at athletics under 18's, county level rugby. My biggest regret in life was not pursuing rugby. But at college it was full of privately educated twats who I disliked immensely and had no desire to be around. I love playing cricket I enjoy batting I loved bowling but bowling Didnt love me.. I used to fancy myself as a Shane warne bowling leg spinners an I was ****.. That said I did bowl out a county second 11 player with a leg break got one to turn massively he swung missed an took his bails.

Perhaps we should have a thread For all our personal sporting glories?? Someone do one. <ok>

13. Red Hadron Collider

Cheshire and Combined Universities 1st team for cricket. Paul Downton was our captain in the latter team. Once took 7 for 42 against Loughborough Uni. Half of the posing twats had their Young England blazers on <doh>

14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The two I excelled at are were cricket and swimming, I was a ****ing demon breast stroker. Really fast, no ****.

Cricket wise, played schools and club level and represented region at school. Was rather good at both, even if I do say so, and opened bat and bowling for a period. Never kicked on to take it serious beyond club cricket, as NOF said earlier the rewards are not good unless you are of the highest level and I was a good many levels below that.

Had some pretty good peers in the league I played in though, my age group, school and club, had Ronnie Irani, Warren Hegg and Karl Krikken all of whom were county level and Irani and Hegg made the England set up.

Also played a match against Gary and Phil Neville once. Phil Neville happened to be opening with his club pro that day, a certain Matthew Hayden.

Never had rugby at our school which was wierd because I went to a grammar school. As such, never got into it. Played flanker when I've had a few games down here in Wales but not really thought to pursue that, ****ing knuckle heads.

15. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

I really enjoyed rugby. Was a great stress reliever.. Any knob heads at school you could get away with knocking them out on the rugby pitch.

16. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

I was good at Tennis and Football but that's about the only sports I played.

17. Manobear

Manobear I love cheeseburgers

I wasn't comparing the actual sport, I was comparing the actual going to the event an drinking all day. Someone mentioned they find it boring on TV, but said it might be fun to actually go to. Then I compared my experiences with Baseball (which I feel the same way about).

18. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

do one sweats

(Just in case you were missing matth ;))

Now tennis is definitely a sport for gaymos <ok>

I was pretty good at football, rugby league, cross country and water polo, but probably best at lacrosse. Only took it up at uni but ****ing loved it. I once bodychecked a guy so hard he flew ten yards across the pitch. Happy days.

19. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

I don't play now, was just something I was good at whilst at school. I was quite a nippy lad too, didn't do athletics but was handy on the wing ;)

20. UnitedinRed

Once got offered trials at salford reds. No idea who they were so refused.

Also won the inter schools indoor football championships in primary school and came 3rd in some cross country event in Barnoldswick years ago. Another inter schools sort of thing.

Bar a few sprinting top 3's and one Lancashire schools title or whatever it was called at the time that's my sporting history. None of these occurred in recent times and some were when I was under 11 haha.