1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Non-Sunderland games

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Blond Bombshell, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Crap header out by the Barnsley defender. No 12 I think it was. Nevermind. Back to the cricket.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Never a better time to score. 3 seconds to go. Not even enough time to pump the ball forward!

3. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

4. Row 3

Row 3 Well-Known Member

Brutal way to lose a game like.

5. C Montgomery Burns

C Montgomery Burns Well-Known Member

Cracking diving header from Windass, but the keeper should have done better. At first I thought he got finger tips to it, but seeing it he got both hands to it but wasn't strong enough.

Tough on Barnsley, I remember being at Wembley when Charlton beat us with the last kick, so I can imagine how they feel right now.

And nice of Windass to admit both teams were poor today, Barnsley were probably the better in normal time up to the sending off, which woke both teams up. After that more even, with Barnsley maybe edging it, but Wednesday week the better team in extra time.

Blond Bombshell, RTB and Row 3 like this.
  6. TeamOfTalents

TeamOfTalents Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the legend that is Barry Banning in the flesh next season. What a privilege

7. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

I’ve got no stats to back this up but we seem to do better against “bigger” clubs, so the fact the league is stacked next season I reckon is a good thing for us.

8. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

The son of windy arse scores, very apt for the Owls.

C Montgomery Burns likes this.
  9. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

At least all the Wednesday fans on twitter seem to think they’re in for a relegation fight next year rather than the Ipswich ones who genuinely seem to think they’ll get automatic (having come second in league one). Confidence is great and all..

10. C Montgomery Burns

PcAmC4jy_o.jpg

Chip and TeamOfTalents like this.

11. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

12. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

Faye Carruthers getting a bit precious about Luton Town on talkSPORT. Naturally they're getting questioned about if they can stay up, how will they spend. Best get used to it, Luton are fodder for the rest of the league unfortunately. Win a few at the start then probably fade.

13. C Montgomery Burns

Not heard her, but knowing who she is I can imagine it. She's expecting everyone to love them and go on about how wonderful it is.

It's a reasonable question to ask of any team getting promoted, but one like Luton with a small, knackered stadium and no rich owner makes it more potent. They don't have the resources to spend big and have a new ground planned (though no final plans have been released). The new ground isn't likely to open until at least 2025 according to their own proposals. And the design pictures floating around at nearly 10 years old, so it's highly likely to change. Most of their team are basically journeymen championship level players, the majority of the better players are loan signings, which being in the EPL now, are less likely to go there. Their style isn't attractive, it's effective at championship level, but it'll get exposed, especially away from home, in the EPL.

If they are happy going up and losing most weeks, but trying to use the EPL money to build the club, fine. But losing most of the time is demoralising for players as well as fans.

14. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Sky were saying they're due to spend £10m before the start of the season to upgrade the ground....within less than 3 months..good luck with that then.

15. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Aye. What could go wrong there!
    Think they got the permissions last year just in case, and they'll have people ready, but that lot of work in a few weeks is a recipe for calamity.

16. John Wick

Great Post. She wasn't banging on, but thr 3 fellas she was on with started saying "Well remember football was invented in 1992" and "Luton have a rich history", I'm sorry like, but when sunderland have as many honours as we have and it never gets a mention because of how long ago it was (History funny enough), they can't just roll out that ****e to suit an argument. Luton will have one season in the Premier league if they have any sense and use the money to future proof themselves like Burnley did when they were relegated about 8 years ago then went straight back up. Owners of Burnley came out and said as much that they weren't spending money and would use it to get their house in order and the fans were totally on board with it. Faye did say that Luton wouldn't be spending big etc tbf.

17. John Wick

they'll be a pain in the arse and ask for their first 6 home games to be away no doubt.

rowley and C Montgomery Burns like this.
  18. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

I can see us first game of the season away to Sheff Wednesday on Sky

19. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Amazed the entire world of football didn't collapse the moment Barry Bannan best player in L1 went off. Amazing strength and courage for those 11 players to carry on without that absolute icon of the global game

20. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Hope not, I'm flying back from Italy that day (poor planning on my part) so home game on the Sunday would be ideal