1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Northampton game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Aug 5, 2017.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

A very forgettable game with us playing the better stuff in midfield but really very few clear-cut chances. Morris was isolated upfront but battled well and Nolan was the class player on the pitch. Northampton showed little ambition but looked like succeeding in their objective of a point until our best cross of the day fell to John-Lewis and that bit of experience told. Early days and glad to start with a win but I must say we look a player short upfront (difficult to see why Dodds did not feature) and we must also improve the quality of our crossing.

2. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Town controlled their forwards sufficiently enough to quell any attacks which is promising for the season ahead. Nolan was great in midfield mopping up and delivering balls to more forward positions. Rodman worked his socks off on the left wing, not always successful but he provided plenty of attacking opportunities. Carlton Morris was strong upfront and as you mention Dodds would've been our choice to bring on in the second half to compliment him. Thankfully the substitutions ended with a goal and they also dealt with Northampton's second biggest goal threat (first being the inability to clear the ball once) that came at the end.

Town generally had alot more control and the possession stats show that. Let's hopefully look forward to a successful season.

3. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Northampton could well be one of the strugglers in this league (they had a poor run at the end of last season) but you can only beat what is in front of you and I think we will improve a lot as these young lads gain experience and knit together.