1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City -16:30 - Manchester United

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Oct 21, 2019.

1. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Could be a good shout, as he could fit in well with Farkeball and has the advantage that he can also play as a DM.

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

He was a total waste of space at Sunderland and caused severe disruption in the dressing room!

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to see him in the two pre-season friendlies, when he was outstanding, as he was in the early games. I agree that he will learn from yesterday and improve!!!

4. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

The commentator I was listening to on Sunday waxed lyrical about Max Aarons and how he was giving the experienced Ashley Young a torrid time. But attacking flair is flawed when defensive discipline goes AWOL. Tettey called it naivety on Max's part, but Max should really know better by now. I think he should be dropped and Byram selected for the next two games.

Also, we really do need Marco Stiepermann. He was apparently dropped because of his current reduced productivity going forward, but we need him for other reasons, not least to add some physicality.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Bure budgie likes this.
  5. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Byram did look good when he came on. I thought Max played well though too. Yes most of the plaudits were about his attacking capability but he was getting back quickly when it broke down. He also had a great game v Bournemouth cutting out numerous crosses and effectively shutting down their left wing channel. I'd be happy to see Byram get more game time but I don't think Aarons is doing a bad job.

6. RiverEndRick

Tettey is certainly angry about the way we defended:

“I was shocked. I don’t know how we can be so naive and give away so much space. That should not happen.”

“We have a right-back who is in no man’s land, we have a center-back that is higher than the other, and he does not know where the attacker is.

“The goal [Rashford’s goal] shouldn’t have happened. If you let such goals in the Premier League time and again, you have no chance. It’s okay to let in goals, but not in that way. I’m still very upset about it. I should not be too strict, but I think we make ‘junior football mistakes’.”

http://sportwitness.co.uk/i-really-...ich-player-slams-teammates-man-united-defeat/

7. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

8. RiverEndRick

Mark Armstrong's take on Tettey's comments:

"Will Aarons have liked getting told off? Of course not, who does? But the City players are not all there to be best mates - they need to bring the best out of each other and if Tettey's admonishment makes the youngster pick his moments better to spring forward then it's job done. The 19-year-old is the archetypal modern day full back - athletic, quick, fearless in possession - but he's still learning the defensive side of the game. Despite his tender years Aarons is mature enough to take on Tettey's rebuke as nothing personal and do his best not to let it happen again."

If we go on making these mistakes over and over again, our survival chances will disappear rapidly. Home truths need to be told.

www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/alex-tettey-naive-ncfc-comments-opinion-1-6346366

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    robbieBB, ncgandy and Bure budgie like this.
  9. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

He should be thankful it was Tettey saying it to him and not Big Dunc

10. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Hi guys I'm back <ok>

Canary Spring likes this.

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

I'm in China for a few months but If nobody minds I will do the next MDT

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm content with that!! <laugh>

canary-dave and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  13. DUNCAN DONUTS

The Chinese have blocked my vpn and bizarrely the only site I can get on Is not606.

Is it Watford next?

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Brighton away on Saturday @ 3pm.
    Watford @ home on Fri 8th Nov - same night as the Firework display in the city centre.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  15. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

This bodes well <laugh>

16. robbieBB

Well, DF has now added his own weight to Tettey's complaint about defensive naivety. He didn't mention Max by name, but I don't think there is any doubt, given his comments about the need for the youngsters to "develop a bit more and learn some lessons", that Max is one of those meant in connection with the "disaster" of our positioning which led to the second goal.

But I think DF himself bears some responsibility. Against Bournemouth everyone was clearly under instruction to be less adventurous, stay solid, and -- as against Man City -- counter only when the opposition had over-committed and the risks were minimal. As I said previously, staying solid is not an option, it's a necessity every game. DF sometimes gives the impression that that's only necessary against certain teams (Man City), or in particular circumstances (Bournemouth away, to halt a growing series of defeats). That sends the wrong message to the players; staying defensively solid is not an option to be taken up only on occasion, it's a necessity every game.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    JM Fan likes this.
  17. robbieBB

Oops, sorry! I went to add the second para. about DF bearing some responsibility to my post above --- and then clicked Reply instead of Edit! :headbang:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019