1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Derby County 12:30 ko Saturday

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Sep 28, 2020.

?

Win loss draw

1. Norwich win

53.8%
  2. Draw

7.7%
  3. Derby win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Reading

38.5%
  1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Sorry Bure, I quite honestly cannot fathom how you can conclude from this season so far, in which we have dominated every match other than Preston, that the players have lost faith in the system.

What Farke’s done is he has lost the faith of a small but vocal section of the fan base. He’s got everyone else’s faith and support (other than maybe Lady Luck).

The problem is I don’t see a manager recovering from losing that fan base faith. They are determined and they won’t change their minds. Good results from now on won’t be attributed to Farke, bad results will be blamed upon him. They won’t let up, gradually their determination will see more join them and it will rub off on the players as they get bombarded on Twitter and in the Press.

Eventually, probably at the point when it costs us most, the board will accept that too many of the fans are causing problems and Farke will get sacked.

It’s exactly what happened with Hughton and Neil. I can see it’s going to happen here.

I’d hoped that the section of the fan base would at least have the patience to allow him until December, which is what I wanted to give him and felt was only fair given the horrendous combination of the pandemic and the delayed transfer window. But they haven’t.

It’s a real shame because he has a vision. He’s far from perfect, but his vision is right for the club. It won’t get us top ten in the PL, but it will keep us solvent and in the top 26. But those fans don’t want it and will drive him out.

carrowcanario likes this.
  2. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Yes he didn't get on with Farke, but from my knowledge I would say that's was more about Oliviera's ego than Farke's management. Interestingly Olivera's hardly set the world on fire now that he's no longer under DF's management.

3. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

You may be right to keep the faith, and I hope you are. I would happily eat humble pie in the New Year when we're challenging at the top. Remind me of this if we are and I promise you I will concede you were right and I was wrong.

The fact remains that of our last 16 competitive games, we have won 1, drawn 1, and lost 14. And this mostly with a squad which contains five players for whom top teams are willing to pay a minimum of 20 million each. I call this under-achieving.

By the way, I never said all we had to do was play Buendia and we would win. I said last week more or less what I am saying this week - that playing fast wingers pinging over crosses with a small guy in the middle makes no sense. Don't put words in my mouth.

4. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

A number of steps in the right direction:

(1) restoring Marco
    (2) dropping McLean to the bench
    (3 sticking with Skipp rather than reintroducing Tettey
    (4) keeping faith with Rupp
    (5) Gibson's debut

The result was a starting eleven who appeared to know what they were doing, with an improved rhythm to their play, but not yet fully up to the speed needed to get through the Derby defensive lines. Even so we should have been 2:0 up, with no need for Gibson to venture forward as he did, which led to the counter-attack and Rooney's goal. As CC said, it was poor execution on our part (Pukki and Aarons) and good keeping by Marshall, which lost us the game.

5. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Why are you blaming the pandemic and dalayed transfer window for his failures?
    Isn't it the same for every team?

Derby were thrashed in their last game,so they set up different for this one,and it worked.

DF has Plan A,wide players,attacking fullbacks etc,but if it aint working,no Plan B.

Nothing would please me more than be proved wrong,but I still fear too many players are not on board.

CitySlicker2010 likes this.
  6. Bure budgie

3 points above relegation zone.
    The table doesn't lie

7. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

I quite enjoyed it !!!! <yikes>

carrowcanario likes this.
  8. Bure budgie

Well you might get another chance<cheers>

oldcanariesfan likes this.
  9. robbieBB

There's a difference; Hughton and Neil were managers, DF is head coach. As long as Webber retains his faith in DF, I don't see him going.

10. carrowcanario

Last season is history and pretty irrelevant to now. So for me 4 games 1 win, 1 draw & 2 loses. Interestingly both losses have been against teams that have set out a similar stall.

Which of our 5 players are other teams willing to pay 20 million for, as far as I'm aware we haven't sold any for 20m, although I accept Godfrey will go for more than 20m.

Sorry I missed your post when you said we needed a Leitner type player.

I agree that if Quintilla pings crosses in well, not Aarons (in fact I think it's an area of his game he needs to improve. I agree it's time that Pukki started on the bench.

11. robbieBB

The alternative is for Quintilla to adapt and look to recycle the ball in-field, Lewis and Aarons-like, rather than keep crossing.

12. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

I also never said Pukki should start on the bench.

13. carrowcanario

No you're right. You said 'that playing fast wingers pinging over crosses with a small guy in the middle makes no sense'.

You highlighted a problem and gave no view what you thought the solution was. Which will leave you free when DF tries to do something to remedy the situation, to say he did the wrong thing without committing yourself.

14. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Watching Kings Lynn , Simon Power on loan doing well

15. DUNCAN DONUTS

Ryan Jarvis pulling the strings

16. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

That is exactly a good summary, Derby after last week’s heavy defeat, were set up in a different style and altered their play - we show no way of altering our style or tactics and our opponents know what to do in order to suppress us.

How about Idah and Hugill up top next time out ?

Bure budgie likes this.
  17. Bure budgie

I would love to see Idah and Hugill start next game.
    Vrancic also to start.
    Happy with back 4
    But it aint gonna happen

oldcanariesfan likes this.
  18. DUNCAN DONUTS

The long run of poor results is concerning as is the inability to score at Carrow Road, the performance at times has been good but we are not creating many clear cut chances.
    I though we looked quite defensively solid yesterday with Gibson who looks very composed at this level .
    Pukki was extremely unlucky to slip for the penalty, a few others were sliding about on the surface and Rupp did the right thing to bring down his man , but Rooney who was trotting about the pitch doing nothing for most of the game hit a World class free kick at the death.
    Marshall made 2 excellent stops from Aarons and Hugill , I only remember Krul making 1 stop from a long range shot .

We did enough to win that game but the football Gods seem to be upset with us still.

I honestly believe that when the window closes and we can count how many of our star players are left , perhaps bring another face in then we will start to improve.
    Worst case scenario Farke stubbornly picks the same tactics and formation every game without the results and gets the boot before January, where the next man will have a sizeable war chest to overhaul the duds Webber brought in .

Best case scenario the new players settle , the unsold knuckle down and we string a ton of wins together.

I'm thinking sell the lot Godfrey, Cantwell , Aarons and Buendia as their value is still very high .
    If we are near the bottom in January their value will plummet.

I don't tend to get too upset when Norwich lose anymore and I'm quite patient but if we aren't showing enormous improvements and results after the first 10 games then I'll be calling for Farke to go .

SuffolkCanary, mike555 and Canary Rob like this.
  19. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

“Hard” agree. Every word.

20. DUNCAN DONUTS

"Hard" ?

Huh <confused>