1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich city v Watford

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Nov 5, 2019.

?

Who shall win?

1. Norwich

56.3%
  2. Draw

18.8%
  3. Watford

25.0%
  1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Dan O'Hagan‏@danohagan

Lot of negativity about #NCFC on social media after Friday. Not seen much of their games this season, but is it as bleak as some are painting it?

Richard Just A Star Wars Hype Account Now Hancock‏@CanaryWorf
    Replying to @danohagan
    Started with our tails up from last season, while there were losses there were positive signs. Since the Man City win we've totally lost confidence in the final third, while lack of experience at the back (and no fit CBs) is easily punished at this level.

<ok>

GozoCanary and JM Fan like this.
  2. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Seems a fair summary to me

JM Fan likes this.
  3. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Agree absolutely that we "just" need (a) to adjust the tactics to suit the PL, and (b) keep a good defensive shape at all times. But this need has been clear from the start, and twelve games in there seems to me little sign that any priority is being attached to achieving it. That's what concerns me most, because unless the lesson is being thoroughly learned now, any thought of "coming back stronger next time" will remain pie in the sky.
    My question therefore is whether or not the failings thus far can be attributed largely to the CB situation; the answer will come, I think, once Zimmermann is back. What I would actually like to see is a back line of Byram, Zimmermann, Godfrey and Lewis, with someone who truly understands the DM role in front of them. For the latter we currently only have two options, Tettey who is not a born and bred DM, and Amadou who reputedly is. I don't want to see a DM adapted to suit our style; I want to see our style adjusted to accommodate a proper DM!

4. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Aarons Hanley Zimmermann Lewis with Amadou & Godfrey playing as DM's, but I dont hold out any hope of that

5. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I doubt we could get him but Benkovic on loan for the second half of the season would be fantastic, he was great at Celtic and so far hasn’t had a look in at Leicester this year.

6. SuffolkCanary

I’d like to see - Aarons, Zimbo, Godfrey, Lewis with Amadou and Trybull at DM.

7. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Problem with a Hanley/Zimmermann pairing at CB IMO is lack of pace. Neither has the game appreciation skill of, e.g. John Terry, to make up for it!

8. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that the failings since ManCity are mostly due to the absence of Zimmerman. Byram played a blinder in that game but then was dropped for the return of Aarons. Why? The CB pairing was Godfrey and Amadou with Tettey at DM. One difference was that the whole team played with a clear plan and a good defensive shape which responded well to the attempted attacks by ManCity. The other difference was that we scored first - twice. It's a difficult balance that DF is trying to achieve, but at the moment we're neither defending well or attacking well. In DF's terms, we're being reactive rather than proactive and being caught out as a consequence. This is what needs addressing during the international break.

9. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

I thought Trybull had a decent game against Watford though saw plenty of criticism afterwards. He dropped quite deep at times which may have caused gaps in the middle but he was clearly playing the DM role. I'm not convinced it's his preferred role though and I see him more as a traditional CM (more like Howson).

If Zimbo and Godfrey can take the CB spots after the break I'd love to see what Amadou can do in the DM function. (I predict Tettey would start ahead of Amadou though). I'd be happy with MadDog or Trybull alongside him but i'd be really interested to see what Cantwell can do in the ACM role with Buendia and Hernandez either side of him. Leitner was my first choice at the beginning of the season but it's just not clicking right now.

JM Fan likes this.
  10. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I'm actually glad we haven't got a game for another 12 days .
    We need some of that great escape plotting and tunnel digging to get out of this mess.

Probably not the best analogy thinking about it .:cheesy:

Resurgam and RiverEndRick like this.

11. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I think you may have tunnel vision ;)

12. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Good points, but I'm not sure Zimbo is going to be fit for Everton, so it may be Hanley instead. Whichever, it seems that Godfrey will have a freer role to move the ball out of defence with the other CB anchoring the defence. The mistake against Watford was doing that without a CB behind him. Giving up the first goal is a killer and Watford took full advantage. We need to keep it tighter until we get a goal.

At Everton, we could keep it tight and counterattack when the ball is won. Buendia, Hernandez and Pukki are well suited to that role and we should play to those strengths while keeping our shape at the back. Keeping Everton from scoring should be our first priority with counterattacks to relieve the pressure and create chances.

JM Fan and robbieBB like this.
  13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Someone's been having a sneak preview of their xmas cracker 'gags' <doh>
    #gimmestrength

14. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I thought Trybull was poor. On two occasions that I noticed he got wrong side of an attacker and was ambling back like he had all the time in the world. He wasn't the only one showing a lack of intensity to press and pick up runners, this was something we did much better in the early weeks of the season.
    I too would like to see what Amadou can do in DM position, but expect Tettey to stay in the team, as a leader and on performances, I think that would be fair enough.
    As for Leitner, OK it hasn't been clicking of late, but the whole team has struggled in the main because of the weak base and square pegs in round holes. If we are going to improve its getting the round pegs in round holes to facilitate a team improvement. Leitner was good at the start when we were still getting plaudits, he can be again.

Bah!

15. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Such a shame, you've not been bitchy for ages.

Oh well :(

16. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I may as well put the Reading option back in next time.

zogean_king likes this.
  17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

It looks like being a valid option twice a season in seven months time! :(

JM Fan likes this.
  18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

If they stay up!!!! :emoticon-0102-bigsm
    Edit - It was only a few seasons ago when they were flying fairly high in the PL (OK, 13 years ago - <yikes>

19. SuffolkCanary

I’d like Vrancic to start ahead of Stiepermann.
    Or move Buendia into the number 10 role, and bring Cantwell or Roberts into the team. Buendia drifts all over the pitch most games, especially in the Watford game, and whilst I know this helps create overloads when in possession but when out of possession he left Aarons exposed. I think we could be more stable across the pitch if we moved him “central” and gave him a free role.

Canary Spring and JM Fan like this.