1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Norwich City Vs Birmingham City. MDT.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Forgot_My_Lines, Sep 9, 2017.

?

Result:

Poll closed Sep 10, 2017.
  1. Canaries

100.0%
  2. Brummies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both Fail.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Without the benefit of seeing the game, I'm not sure a how they can all score so highly against a poor and struggling Birmingham side in a 1-0 win? But then, Paddy is always generous.

Bah!

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

For once I pretty much agree with Paddy's ratings. Klose brought a calm organisation to the defense assisted by the two CMs. It wasn't so much the result for me, but the willingness by DF to change the formation and the approach to one much better suited to the Championship. Burton will be the next test, but two wins would be a much clearer indication of progress.

3. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

On the subject of the rating for Gunn, it is, surely, impossible to give above a six when the player had absolutely nothing to do.

DHCanary likes this.
  4. RiverEndRick

A tricky one, but Gunn was part of a clean sheet with his positioning and interaction with the defense. He doesn't just stand between the posts waiting for shots to come in.

canary-dave likes this.
  5. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Striker's ratings are nearly always overrated by a couple of points just because they score. Klose clearly had a significant impact at both ends of the pitch but still scores the same as Oliveira. I also wonder if Jerome had played and scored / missed as many chances as Oliveira whether he would have got the same score. I suspect many people would have focus more on the missed chances.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    RiverEndRick likes this.
  6. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Oliveira (and Murphy) missed a few but none of them were sitters. I loved how Oliveira got about a bit too. Reminded me of a certain Mr Holt at times. I agree if Jerome had missed as many he'd have heard about it though.

SuffolkCanary and JM Fan like this.
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I was actually at the game (behind the River End goal) and I think Basil missed one chance which was not easy and Josh just scuffed a shot (a superb pass from Basil).

8. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Farke's comments about a lot of missed chances in the games support my view that the score line should have been more convincing. If Oliveria & Murphy only missed ob chance each then who do we think he's referring to?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  9. RiverEndRick

There is an element of 'expectation perception' involved. If the perceiver expects Jerome to miss chances, any misses are more likely to be remembered. The statistics indicate that the difference isn't great, but the perception process exaggerates the difference. The same thing happens with other players, inviting the question as to why the manager keeps picking them. The answer is that he sees more professionally, not that he has been 'favourites'. It's irritating on here, but it will always happen I'm afraid.

JM Fan, carrowcanario and canary-dave like this.
  10. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

The stats say nothing about the quality of the chances. perhaps Jeromes are more memorable because they are more glaring?

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

That table is pretty depressing reading already.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    JM Fan likes this.
  12. RiverEndRick

Like the shot Oliveira put over from the penalty spot? Stats at least are objective where perceptions aren't, leaving people to believe what they want to believe.

JM Fan and carrowcanario like this.