1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Norwich Internationals

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Rubik's Tube, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Rubik's Tube

Rubik's Tube Member

Unless you count Ruddy on the bench, I haven't seen any of our players performances. I would love a summary of how they got on... I gather from other threads that some of u were planning to watch Scotland/ Ireland/ Sweden/ u21s...

(This might also be a good place to keep track of Tuesday's round of matches?)

Elmander
    Olssen
    Pilkington
    Hoolahan
    Ruddy
    Martin
    Whittaker
    Snodgrass
    (vWolfswinkel- I assume he was on bench?)
    (Redmond u21s)
    (Murphy/ Morris/ Toffolo u19s)

2. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

I see Snodgrass was substituted,I hope it was tactical not injury.These Internationals are boring IMO and not worth the risk to our players.

3. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

But a team will want to play there best players in a world cup qualifier! They may be boring to you but I don't think any of the Scots will agree.

I watched more of the Ireland v Sweden game than the England one and Elmander had a pretty good game and scored a good header.

4. Cruyff's Turn

Yes,more interesting when Norwich have players in,but still a worry injury wise.

5. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

He was injured by a Fellaini tackle according to the BBC. Re. your comment about not being worth the risk, that is so typical of the English attitude. Also, it is disrespectful to the aspirations of the players. I have never ever heard a Norwich City player be anything other than over the moon to get the call to represent their country. Shame on you CT!

6. Cruyff's Turn

So,hypothetically then if that injury was to result in a lengthy lay off and we end up relegated it was still worth him playing in a game with nothing at stake?

7. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

I don't like the International breaks, missing the weekend games and it is a worry if one of your players get injured. But you can't stop them from playing, if it was me, I'd want to play for my Country too.

If we do badly because of injuries due to the Internationals, yeah it will be annoying and frustrating, but can't blame a player for wanting to play for their Countries.

8. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

International Football is dying on it's feet, especially in this country. The vast majority of England fans are supporters of lower league sides whose clubs have little or no chance of ever playing Premier League football i.e Ipswich Town <whistle>

..................................coat ;)

9. Cruyff's Turn

That's pretty much my take on it really.Of course I don't blame players for wanting to take part,it must be great for them.Just when you see people like Dean Ashton with his career finished you do worry about your own teams players getting crocked.Any news on how bad Snodgrass injury is? I can see Fellaini spending a lot of time banned, looks a very dirty player.

10. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

No offense CT but when your playing a game to qualify for the World cup, there is something at stake! The friendlies p*** me off during the season but you cannot have a pop at teams wanting to field there strongest side in a qualifier.

11. Cruyff's Turn

Scotland were already out I think.

12. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Must be joking KIO! South America, Asia, Africa, Europe (you telling us the Greeks, Turks, Spaniards, Germans, East European countries, etc. don't avidly support their national team?). In fact virtually everywhere EXCEPT England. <ok>

13. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

They still have an obligation, to their fans and to the others in the group, to field a strong side though, surely?

I absolutely love to see City players appearing for their countries. Injuries can happen (Ashton is a bad example - a very rare case), but it's still worth the risk IMO. Heck, I even enjoyed watching Elmander score against a team I support avidly!

14. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Southampton??????

<laugh>

15. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

<laugh> Smart arse!

16. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They're still playing for rankings, which effect their chances of qualifying for the next major tournament. A poor showing this time round gives them a harder group next time.
    As to our internationals, I watched a lot of RoI vs Sweden, Elmander did pretty well, Olsson was fairly solid. Pilks got 15 mins at the end, but I didn't see him really do too much.

17. Northamptonncfc

Northamptonncfc Well-Known Member

Grab yourself a scotch on the rocks and calm down squire. I'm patriotic about my country and representing it would be a honour, but I understand that a lot of football fans are disillusioned by some of the rubbish which has been served up, the FA are one of the least proactive organisations in existence it's absolutely laughable.

On the subject of Fellani great player but his a bit of thug sometimes.

18. Cruyff's Turn

Oh yes he is good,I don't suppose Moyes would have been so keen to take him with him otherwise but I think we have seen enough of him to know that he is a bit of a loose cannon.I can see him getting straight reds and long bans with his inclination to try and hurt opponents.As regards England the FA pretty much finished it for me when the old codgers rejected Clough.Would probably have told them too many home truths.

19. canary_max

canary_max Well-Known Member

finland u21s vs england u21s at tea time tonight

i kind of hope that nathan redmond doesn't play the whole game and that he is fresh for saturday's game

20. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

Pilkington starts for ROI tomorrow, will be good for his fitness for us, unless he gets injured again.