1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Norwich v Fulham

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Bath-Canary, Jan 4, 2014.

1. canary_max

canary_max Well-Known Member

We can send this same team down again don't worry, or even more kids
    Positives are: fox, murphy played well. Also players like Rvw get a full game under his belt
    Also snoddy goal will give him confidence

Why didnt be be bechio play at all?

2. canarie-chippy

canarie-chippy Well-Known Member

It's because he was more than four yards out !
    I think his boots are made by Ping ?

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Just had a look at the Villa line-up and it was a strong team of first-team players including Benteke and Weimann who both played the whole game. The only young player was Jed Steer. Was Lambert playing games then?

4. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Probably an element of avoiding accusations of throwing the match that would inevitably come up had he played a youth team. That and the Villa fans are on his back enough as it is.

5. RiverEndRick

Apparently Wes had a tight hamstring, but CH said after the match that he wasn't aware of any offer from Villa. I think the replay will feature even more young players, but Fox did seem to have a good match both passing and defending.

6. surgeryman

surgeryman Active Member

My take, first half Ok but the final ball yet again lacking in quality. Fox did well considering his lack of games. The one time Josh Murphy cut the ball BACK we score. Cannot work out the logic of the formation even with injuries. Elmander right wing, Garrido midfield!!

Hughton s whole offensive strategy is based on inverted wingers delivering a quality ball which frankly they cannot do hence our struggles. Delayed crossing also a problem but that is affected by no one in the box ( one up front in other words). Whether it's a "reserve" team or our first choice the one dimensional, negative offensive tactics are our downfall. Drab, drab, drab.

7. RiverEndRick

I was also surprised by Elmander playing on the right (though apparently he has played there before earlier in his career). I wonder if CH wanted to try Snods as the playmaker in this experimental situation. Given the number of changes, it was hardly going to be flowing football and I have to say I enjoyed it.

Spare a thought for Mr Lambert, who after his outburst in the press, played his whole first team except for Jed Steer in goal and still lost 2-1 at home to League One Sheffield United. Embarrassing or what?

8. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

I went to the game and most of the time I was bored I have to say. There seems like a mile of space between our midfield and front players. The amount of times that RVW was back in our half trying to pick the ball up was nuts and then he would win it and there would be no one to pass to because it should be our midfield winning the ball back and passing to him upfront.

You could see that we were going to concede first, our forward play was tepid at best and Fulham looked good when they went forward and the goal was coming.

There is an up issue with our forward play and the way the team is setup, there is no connection between midfield and attack and the ball is passed wide far to early. RVW looked a bit not interested to me at times and to be honest who can blame him, it must be so frustrating for him.

The amount of times we had a good chance on the counter attack and ended up passing the ball backwards was doing my head in, we slowed the game down to the point where we were putting zero pressure on the ball and allowing Fulham to pass around us and through us, this is what lead to the goal.

Where do we go from here? I don't know to be honest but there is a problem that needs to be addressed with our forward play. I am going to state the obvious in some peoples eyes, we NEED a proper attacking, creative midfielder. I do not think that this is the only thing though as the system does not seem right in some way as it leaves our forwards so isolated and we have very little chance of scoring from open play.

There were positives though:

Fox ran midfield and was composed on the ball.
    Murphy looked great.
    And for me Snodgrass looked like he was giving 100%.

Need to sort out the issues though.

9. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Good to see that Benty can still score against the Budgies!

10. surgeryman

surgeryman Active Member

Stockdale has been more of a thorn JWM. Premiership becoming this year do you think?

11. surgeryman

surgeryman Active Member

Re Snodgrass , I agree and would have played him as the creative midfielder through the middle ( as he does for Scotland) and had Elmander up with the Wolf, putting Redmond on the right wing.

12. SUPERNORWICH 23

SUPERNORWICH 23 SUPERNORWICH

Cardiff got a massive win away to Newcastle under O G S .

13. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Didn't get to see any of the game today, so wanted to quiz those who were...

Firstly, what exactly was the formation?? Garrido in central midfield with Fox, Snodgrass central between two wingers and RvW up top?

How was the Fox-Garrido midfield pairing? Shows how desperate we are really that we needed to play them, but I'm curious how Fox got on after several weeks without competitive football, and some time at the bottom of the championship. Any chance he might be pushing for contention for league games whilst injuries are an issue?

If Snodgrass was played central, how did people feel that worked? An experiment in case Hoolahan leaves?

Was Murphy any less wasteful than Redmond is? He got the assist which was pleasing, but the club twitter feed suggested a lot of cutting in and shooting too.

14. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Good to see that our young Declan Rudd can save penalties! ;)

15. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

After going to the game, the one thing that stood out to me was how poor we were. It frightened me how poor and devoid of ideas we were.
    I can fully see and understand where the 'Hughton Outers' are coming from. When the friend I went with told me that we were better today than we have been for most of the home games this season.

How far Ellmander was from RvW was unbelievable. To make contact with each other they would have had to phoned each other.

There was no urgency when we were trying to break out from defence.
    Snodgrass only did one decent thing and that was score. From where we were sitting it was hard to say whether it was a very brave header, or he was going down looking for a penalty and the ball hit his head.

Whittaker was like Bambi on ice. Every time he got the ball, he frightened me. How the hell he managed to keep the ball when he tried to move forward was unbelievable. A series of lucky bounces and somehow it still ended up with him.

Fox, I thought, was the best player on the pitch for us today.
    Josh Murphy shows great promise, as did his brother when he came on.
    RvW had a cracking header very well saved, but when he wanted the ball, he had to go back to his own half to get it sometimes.

Highlight of the game for me was finding that they sold cups of Bovril at the ground and at a reasonable price.

All in all, not a very enjoyable afternoon.
    It was frightening to see the difference in watching it on a stream and watching the actual game where you see the whole picture.

As I said at first, very frightening at times, and not in the good sense either :(

16. K E M P

Welcome to the dark side.......

17. BillyNCFC

BillyNCFC Well-Known Member

By the sounds of it, Fox did outstandingly well to control the midfield having not played in weeks with a left back who hasn't played in weeks alongside him.

Well played that man.

Looking forward to watching the highlights on canaries player to see some of Josh Murphy's work seems a few of my friends have been very impressed by his performance today.

18. BillyNCFC

BillyNCFC Well-Known Member

My biggest defence of Wes comes from this; when at the game you see how he brings the best out of people much clearer, can't believe how criminally underused he has been to think we might let him go is catastrophic.

19. canary_max

canary_max Well-Known Member

For those at the game, do you think fox wil be considered for the premier league squad at all?
    From what I heard he put his foot in today, which has been a criticism in the past

20. K E M P

If I'm honest I don't think so. When you think of Fer and Johnson I can't see that CH will take the risk tbh.